Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
My friend just bought an 8gb iPhone. I have a 4gb jailbroken iPhone and I have volume booster on mine. We both played the same song from the iPod and his speakers were without question louder than mine. I was so pissed.

Is it possible that newer iPhones have better speakers or are mine just damaged?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My friend just bought an 8gb iPhone. I have a 4gb jailbroken iPhone and I have volume booster on mine. We both played the same song from the iPod and his speakers were without question louder than mine. I was so pissed.

Is it possible that newer iPhones have better speakers or are mine just damaged?

Did you play the same song on the same equalizer settings?

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
yeah. I tried it with two different songs. If I call apple or go to a store, would they work with me? Its not fair that i payed 500$ for an iPhone that's speaker is inferior to a cheaper/newer iPhone.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Wait a minute? It's not fair that they make the iPhone better? Man, Apple's gonna have a hard time getting people to buy successive iPhones if they can't make it better. (;

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
I had an 8GB iphone that I bought 11 months ago. The screen quit responding to touch, so I took it into the apple store, and they gave me a free replacement. The new iPhone DEFINITELY has a better speaker. Much, much louder. The speakerphone is actually usable now. Not only that, but calls sound a lot clearer, and people tell me that I sound better to them too.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
I had an 8GB iphone that I bought 11 months ago. The screen quit responding to touch, so I took it into the apple store, and they gave me a free replacement. The new iPhone DEFINITELY has a better speaker. Much, much louder. The speakerphone is actually usable now. Not only that, but calls sound a lot clearer, and people tell me that I sound better to them too.

I had nearly re exact same thing, except with mine the screen developed a yellow splotch in the corner. Much better speaker.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Its not fair that i payed 500$ for an iPhone that's speaker is inferior to a cheaper/newer iPhone.

And it's not fair that I spent $2,500 on a Macbook Pro that has a Core 1 Duo chip when they sell them with Core 2 Duo chips now!

Nonetheless, I fear both you and I are stuck with what we've got.

dt1611

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
common sense...

I have gone through three iPhones and of course new products and their speakers sound better....

the reason?

all the lint from your pockets gets all in the speakers causing them to be all muffled out...

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
Couldnt I propose that its not the fact that the phone is old (BTW not even a year) but that the speakers are ruined? possible a warranty issue?

SamoanDude

macrumors regular
May 22, 2008
United States Now
I recall a hack, theres a sponge in the speakers on the older iPhones that people were removing and making it much louder. You do have to pop it open, but the sponges were right there on both sides and easily removed

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
i called AppleCare and they said they will replace my 4gb iphone with an 8gb or 16gb if there arent any 4gb in stock :] Also my phone is jailbroken, should i just restore it? or do i have to do something extra?

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
there are multiple things that could cause the max volume to be different. not just the speaker.

in example.

1. If you set itunes/iphone to do "sound check" this averages out all of your songs volumes so they are equal. This causes your MAX volume on songs to be lower.

2. If your using two different MP3 files it could change the max volume.

3. EQ settings could change the MAX volume.

I'm not saying its not the speaker it. Just make sure none of those things are skewing your results.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Its not fair that 2 grand performa I bought in 95 wont run Leopard, but my friends £400 Mini will. Sorry not to flame you, but if Apple didn't improve their product line they would be in the sh***er.

Edit: Wow really their replacing it? Oh well much ado about nothing.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
NY
well they actually did replace my phone. The tech said that the speaker was oddly low, but didnt say that newer ones have better speakers, but i must say I do enjoy my new speaker :]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.