Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Okay. Who else is having problems with their keyboard? I have a 2017 MacBook and some of the keys are getting stuck. I have tried using an air compression can, but it does nothing. I took it into a Genius Bar and they fixed it for a day, now keys are stuck again. How many times are they going to look at it before it's replaced or the whole bottom half is replaced? Anyone else with this issue?

Reactions: skinuca

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I just started having problems with my MacBook 2017 keyboard. The C key randomly repeats. Since I use the letter c in some of my passwords, it was driving me crazy until I figured out the problem. Tried cleaning the keyboard with compressed air, but this didn't help.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I’d take it to the Apple store ASAP. Before the warranty expires. It’s a big problem that is being discussed more in terms MacBook Pro forum.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
You’re the first 2017 here with this problem. Whatever Apple did with the 2017’s, it didn’t fix it. Sad that Apple had to make something they were always reliable at and it made it unreliable all for “thinness”

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I bought my MacBook in June. It’s been fine until a couple of weeks ago. I suppose I’ll take it in, but reading through posts re: 2016 problems is depressing.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Personally, I wanted to build a history of repairs with Apple to make a case for a replacement if needed. After, talking to the geniuses, it’s simply a design flaw - these keyboards on every new MacBook/Pro are susceptible to dust and debris that you cannot get out without extensive repairs by Apple. My mom’s got a 2015 with a stuck key - she’s out of warranty and just lives without the key. It’s really criminal. So, I’m out here telling anyone who will to not buy Apple computers.

Reactions: skinuca

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
I have the 2015 bought in the summer a couple of months after launch and with Apple Care. The "2" had been giving me problems for a while, but in the last week the space bar got the same affliction. It would only work if mashed very hard, not the way one types normally.
Took it in the the genius bar yesterday. They replaced the 2 and space bar keys. But indicated that if the problem persists or returns, they would have to send it out to replace the entire keyboard unit. Today, for the 1s time the R key is stuck.
Thinking i'll have to have it sent out.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I've had my MacBook for a month, seems to be running fine.

I am now keenly aware that my hands needs to be immaculately clean to use that computer. No food around it whatsoever.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
New York
I have the 2015 bought in the summer a couple of months after launch and with Apple Care. The "2" had been giving me problems for a while, but in the last week the space bar got the same affliction. It would only work if mashed very hard, not the way one types normally.
Took it in the the genius bar yesterday. They replaced the 2 and space bar keys. But indicated that if the problem persists or returns, they would have to send it out to replace the entire keyboard unit. Today, for the 1s time the R key is stuck.
Thinking i'll have to have it sent out.

Do you have Apple care? If it’s covered, I’d do it...as annoying as it is...

Reactions: WinkWink726

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I seem to have developed a problem others don't have. Typing on the bottom row keys (X, C, V, etc.) seems to randomly insert spaces into the text. Somethin g like this, m ore or less. Except it only happens sometimes which means I can't take it to the Genius Bar and prove the problem exists.

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
Do you have Apple care? If it’s covered, I’d do it...as annoying as it is...
I do have Care and about 260 days left on it. I will bring in the machine this coming week. Sadly it sounds like something they have to send it out for, and it is the only machine i have at home. I guess I'll have to see how well iPad and iPhone X do as replacement in the short run.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I have the 2016 model and keys are failing one by one..
I'm not even a heavy typer, very casual typing actually,sofar key 3 and part of the space are gone.

I have extra Apple care, but such a pain taking it to Apple store, backing up everything a removing all my personal data..
and I'm sure other keys will fail later.

this "butterfly" key design was a true disaster.a real fail.
the keys feel awful even without such reliability issues.
I mean I had dozens of laptops in my life, including some very cheap budget ones and I never seen keyboard keys failing like this.

Reactions: navaira

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have a 2014 MBA that I will probably replace it in a couple of years. I think the butterfly mechanism is here to stay, so unless there is a significant redesign, we will all be dealing with this issue down the road.

Does a silicone keyboard skin/cover help reduce the chance of having a problem with the new butterfly mechanism? I use one on my MBA to prevent damage from possible spills, crumbs, and dirt. It took a little getting used to, but now I kind of like the soft rubbery keyboard feel.

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
Mine has gotten worse again. I will take it in to the Apple Store again next week. I think this time it will require them "sending it out to replace the case."

Does anyone know how long that takes them? This is my only personal computer, and I don't like bringing my machine home for persona stuff.

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Does a silicone keyboard skin/cover help reduce the chance of having a problem with the new butterfly mechanism? I use one on my MBA to prevent damage from possible spills, crumbs, and dirt. It took a little getting used to, but now I kind of like the soft rubbery keyboard feel.

I have thought about this too, but it seems everyone agrees that on the new ones, the clearance between the screen and keyboard when closed is so small that even the thinnest keyboard cover may damage the screen, or at least leave dirt prints of the keys on your screen.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I had to get a protector sticker (for the lower part below the keyboard, with cutout for trackpad) because my D key was already leaving a mark on the screen every single time I closed the laptop. :/ The sticker helps, plus protects the metal from discolouring.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
I hate hearing these stories and worry about the longevity of my MacBook. I have had no issues so far, but in the back of my mind I am always thinking about it. Fortunately, for me, most of the time now I have a keyboard cover on and type on a comfortable mechanical keyboard.

I have to think that all of these problems are costing Apple quite a bit of money. I know that they are usually stubborn to change their view on design - but they have to realize that something is wrong. I can't, in good conscience, buy any new Mac laptops until this issue is definitively fixed. I just hope it doesn't take years for them to admit to themselves that there is a problem and that their butterfly ultra low travel keyboard was a very bad idea in more than one way.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I agree. I won’t be buying a another MacBook until Apple fixes these keyboard problems. Frankly, it might just be easier for me to use my iPad for mobile productivity and use a desktop for heavy lifting. Currently, my aging MBA spends most of its time docked with a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse.....so generally, I am using it as a desktop.

In fairness, a laptop is probably the most difficult device to execute well. You have all of the technology of a desktop in a compact potable package that is carried around and exposed to all kinds of potentially harmful environmental conditions. A desktop lives a much more tranquil life.

Reactions: macdudesir

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
You’re the first 2017 here with this problem. Whatever Apple did with the 2017’s, it didn’t fix it. Sad that Apple had to make something they were always reliable at and it made it unreliable all for “thinness”
After the 2015 models, Apple went downhill with quality and raised the price. The 2015 model is perfect from defects and has legacy ports, i was going to trade it in for a 2017 (for college) but i decided not too, not going to pay more for less reliable computer

JamiLynee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2014
The PNW
I just returned my new MBP today (after 4 days of ownership) because of this issue. Also, the bottom got so hot while using that I was forced to use a cooling mat. I'm really bummed out. My 2014 is still a beast but I was looking for something a little lighter and more compact for school. Like I said, I'm really bummed out.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
I just got back from the Apple Store. 4 week old MacBook, space bar got stuck. They need to send it out to replace it. Ughh. Ridiculous IMHO.

jbs-horn

macrumors member
May 1, 2014
Being 9 months after my MacBook ('16 model) had its keyboard replacement, so far there are no additional problems. What I wonder is how many have had replacement keyboards go bad, and how long did the replacement last. I was advised by the authorized Apple repair facility to get AppleCare+ for this one, which I did, so for the time being I don't suffer from keyboard anxiety. But in a couple of years I will begin to worry.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I just saw in another thread that another forum member is getting their keyboard replaced, and I am starting to think the reason Apple didn't drop the price is that it includes cost of one keyboard replacement per unit. It baffles me why the same keyboard has now been used four times (difference between 2015 and 2016 version doesn't seem to be significant enough to stop the problems).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.