Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSoftware3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it isn't possible to compile a newer version of VLC (with support for playing YouTube) on an older version of Mac OS X (10.4.11+). If that's possible, how can someone start with doing that? I was wondering this because we also have TenFourFox running on 10.4.11, which is based on a newer version of Firefox.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Hard to say exactly what VLC would need to be updated for PowerPC and Tiger, but it has been 4 years since the final PowerPC version was released for Leopard, and 9 since the last Tiger version. Safe to bet there was a good reason development ended (could just be demand, but could be more architecture) so it would take someone with greater programming knowledge than I to see how much further VLC could be pushed.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
They release their source code, so there is a BIGGER reason why we're stuck with an old version...because that dog won't hunt.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
VLC is in macports, however it hasn't been patched for ppc, or just flat out isn't supported on ppc anymore.

Matt$ sudo port -v install vlc
Password:
Error: VLC cannot be installed for the configured build_arch 'ppc' because it only supports the arch(s) 'x86_64'.
To report a bug, follow the instructions in the guide:
http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets
Error: Processing of port vlc failed

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.