Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anitak1982

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
West Central Ohio
I admit this is scary to me. Covid-19 contact tracing? Someone said that using this is optional and turned off by default. Will you update?

Last edited:

Edd70

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2018
I see no reason not to update. I’d turn off any tracing for battery reasons.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
From what I understand you can’t turn it on anyway. It needs to be used with an app. If you go into Health and read it it says it has to be used with an app.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
It is only an API present for official health authorities to use for their app.
As long as you do not have such an app installed, nothing is traced or logged. The API just sits there unused and inactive thus beeing not accessed by an app.

Normal developers cannot use the API, only government healt apps can. There're tons of articles explaining the API and how it is used out in the wild. Go and read a bit about it to better understand and calm down :cool:
Stop worrying so much!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Your iPhone traces you 24/7, so I personally don’t bother too much about this covid-19 tracing.
This. People are freaking out about Bluetooth contact tracing, but that basically provides no user specific information. Meanwhile, how many people know or care that their iPhone makes (and has made for years) a list of where they go? Or that merely using the phone on a cellular network while you’re out and about allows for a map of your movements?

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.