Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KSR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Alright, MacRumors, I'm here with a simple post so I thank you now if you choose to read this. :)

I recently jailbroke my iPod Touch 3G and I'm proud of myself for finally figuring out how to do this, as it is my first iPod and my first ever hacking of any matter that I've done completely on my own. I jailbroke it by downgrading it to iOS 4.0 through iTunes and simply using jailbreakme.com. >.>

Well I've been playing around with Cydia and found some awesome things through it and I don't know how I ever owned an iPod Touch without the jailbreak. It truly unlocks the device's potential. :D

I wanted to post this app to ask you all, what are some things that you think I should add to my jailbroken iPod with Cydia. Good sources or things to add through the search (I don't know what to call those ones...xD)? Thank you. :)

applemike

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
What do you use your device for? just as a media device?

If so then you can really get into the themeing and skinning of the iOS, head over to the iPhone hacks forum and the "post your jailbroken home screen part 2" thread to see some of the things going down over there.

If you are into hacking then there are several tools you might like to download.

other than that, just basic tweaks to make your device better and smarter than most peoples and just make it work how you want it to.

SpiritJb

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
Alright, MacRumors, I'm here with a simple post so I thank you now if you choose to read this. :)

I recently jailbroke my iPod Touch 3G and I'm proud of myself for finally figuring out how to do this, as it is my first iPod and my first ever hacking of any matter that I've done completely on my own. I jailbroke it by downgrading it to iOS 4.0 through iTunes and simply using jailbreakme.com. >.>

Well I've been playing around with Cydia and found some awesome things through it and I don't know how I ever owned an iPod Touch without the jailbreak. It truly unlocks the device's potential. :D

I wanted to post this app to ask you all, what are some things that you think I should add to my jailbroken iPod with Cydia. Good sources or things to add through the search (I don't know what to call those ones...xD)? Thank you. :)

May I ask what iPod you have? I know you don't have a 4th generation iPod (because there is no way to downgrade to iOS 4.0 on ipod touch 4g).

If you have a 3rd generation, what capacity is the device.

KSR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
May I ask what iPod you have? I know you don't have a 4th generation iPod (because there is no way to downgrade to iOS 4.0 on ipod touch 4g).

If you have a 3rd generation, what capacity is the device.

I currently have a 3G with only 8GB capacity... It's quickly running low now that I'm jailbroken and I'm planning on buying a iPod Touch 4G 32GB in like three weeks. :3

SpiritJb

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
I currently have a 3G with only 8GB capacity... It's quickly running low now that I'm jailbroken and I'm planning on buying a iPod Touch 4G 32GB in like three weeks. :3

Well, your main question is what you can do now that you are jailbroken. Considering how you really have a 2nd gen device (8 gig MC models are 2nd gen specs with a new bootrom), you can download iFile and edit the plist to enable battery %, multitasking, wallpaper support, etc (this can be found using Google, keywords "iFan enable multitasking"--I provide no links, to avoid advertising another site).

However seeing how you intend on buying a 4 gen device I would encourage you to take a look at a thread I posted: Master List of System Hacks for the iPod Touch 4g

Also, for your current iPod, you might also want to take a look at the above link. Although many hacks only apply to the 4th generation devices, some hacks apply to all iPods on iOS 4.x.

min0124

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
newbie with a question.. i have a jailbroken ipod touch 3rd gen 32gb running iOS4.1 and itunes 10.. i don't get music from the itunes store but i do want to get the free apps. what will happen if i download the free stuff onto my iPod? will it wipe out my apps or something? :(

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
newbie with a question.. i have a jailbroken ipod touch 3rd gen 32gb running iOS4.1 and itunes 10.. i don't get music from the itunes store but i do want to get the free apps. what will happen if i download the free stuff onto my iPod? will it wipe out my apps or something? :(

Wait, what? If you download free apps from the iTunes store...nothing will happen. Or if you mean getting free apps from Installous...nothing will happen to your device.

min0124

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Wait, what? If you download free apps from the iTunes store...nothing will happen. Or if you mean getting free apps from Installous...nothing will happen to your device.

um i meant, if i can sign in and DL free apps from the iTunes store directly onto my jailbroken iPod with no consequences.. it won't detect my jailbroken iPod and brick it or something?

min0124

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
um i meant, if i can sign in and DL free apps from the iTunes store directly onto my jailbroken iPod with no consequences.. it won't detect my jailbroken iPod and brick it or something?

i wasn't aware that i posted the same thing twice in a thread making a double post or that i posted the same thread twice.. the second post i made in this thread was a clarification and i made a new thread of my own because i know people don't have all day to look at every post and answer. i didn't know that i cannot make clarifications.. my bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.