Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I'm running iOS 13.4.1 on a first gen iPhone SE. Starting several days ago, every time I attempted to launch the News app I'd get this message:

Feed Unavailable
There may be a problem with the server or network. Please try again later.

I deleted and reinstalled the News app but it's still doing it. I tried shutting down the phone and restarting but that didn't help. Only 19 of the 32 GB available is used. My wife's identical iPhone does not have this issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

P.S. If the suggestion is to update to iOS 14, every attempt to do that has failed. Not sure if that's a related issue.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
A few days ago there was an issue with Apple News, and you can check for Apple server status here anytime you're getting that error. What's interesting is that you've been unable to update to iOS 14. Do you get a specific error message when you attempt it? Have you tried Reset All Settings or at the very least Reset Network Settings?

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
The Apple server for News is green right now but I still get the Feed Unavailable message.

I don't remember the exact error message I get when trying to do the iOS update, something like "update failed." Nothing very specific.

How do you do the resets that you suggest?

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
So this is weird - before I even did the reset I checked the News app and now it's working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.