Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
Hello,

Can news articles such as the one about the DOJ anti-monopoly/anti-trust lawsuit be placed in a section of the forum that all forum members can participate in? Presently it’s in a section that requires a 100 post minimum. However, it’s a sufficiently important enough article/news story to warrant open discussion.

Thank You!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Articles like that are placed in the Political News section because the issue inherently is going to involve political debate, and we limit political comments to that forum.

Reactions: Chuckeee

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
But surely you can see the irony of being an Apple-centric news website/aggregator, and having a forum which suggests a desire to have open engagement and conversation yet at the same time limit who actually engages in the conversation?

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
But surely you can see the irony of being an Apple-centric news website/aggregator, and having a forum which suggests a desire to have open engagement and conversation yet at the same time limit who actually engages in the conversation?
You do realize that the judicial branch is at least on paper, independent of the political branches?

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
You do realize that the judicial branch is at least on paper, independent of the political branches?
Articles like that are placed in the Political News section because the issue inherently is going to involve political debate, and we limit political comments to that forum.
I’m not trying to be rude, but I’m respectfully asking for a reevaluation of where the article and conversation is presently placed, in that it will have far reaching impacts both good and bad on Apple users and the IT industry as a whole, just like the Microsoft issue in the late 1990s did. Thus it doesn’t make sense to put it in a “political” section.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As I said, the issue inherently involves politics, so that is why is was placed in the Political News section. If you review the thread, you will see a large number of posts debating the political and social issues involved with this. Moving the thread out of the Political News section would require the removal of all those posts, then likely a lot of moderator involvement going forward keeping that type of post out of the thread.

Reactions: annk

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
As I said, the issue inherently involves politics, so that is why is was placed in the Political News section. If you review the thread, you will see a large number of posts debating the political and social issues involved with this. Moving the thread out of the Political News section would require the removal of all those posts, then likely a lot of moderator involvement going forward keeping that type of post out of the thread.
Why would moving the thread to the technology forum require removal of comments?

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
Because under the forum rules comments about politics, religion, or social issues are limited to the Political News section.
Okay - so respectfully, which category does it fall under? Social issues? Religion? Or Politics? I’d understand the politics designation if it were a Trump vs. Biden conversation, but it’s about a lawsuit. It’s not about abortion or immigration, women’s rights, homelessness, so it’s not a social issue…

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
Okay - so respectfully, which category does it fall under? Social issues? Religion? Or Politics? I’d understand the politics designation if it were a Trump vs. Biden conversation, but it’s about a lawsuit. It’s not about abortion or immigration, women’s rights, homelessness, so it’s not a social issue…
Is Apple a religion?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It is primarily the political angle that drives this post into the Political News section. For example, if you search for the word "Biden" in that thread, there are 35 posts mentioning President Biden and what role he had in this.

JoeLewis0401

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 21, 2024
While I’m being respectful in my concern is it possible for you to take my concern higher? The issue I’m seeing is that you’ve cited a rule, but aren’t even following your own rule…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.