Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer is a modern, easy-to-use newsreader that runs native on all your Apple devices, with automatic iCloud based sync of all your RSS, RDF, Atom and Twitter feed subscriptions, news articles, read statuses and favorites.

MacRumors_tvOS_00.gif

Some unique features:
  • Supports RSS 2.0, RDF, JSON, Atom and Twitter news feeds.
  • iCloud based sync across all your Apple devices.
  • Clean, stylish and distraction-free user interface.
  • Themes support.
  • Use Reader view to download and read the full version of articles.
  • Timeline view shows your news items in an attractive newspaper-like way.
  • Built-in image viewer to browse through all images of news items, beautifully displayed on your large TV screen.
  • Built-in movie player to play embedded media in full screen modus.
  • Enhanced support for YouTube channel subscriptions, including full-screen HD video.
  • Built-in search feature to search RSS or Twitter feeds by keywords.
  • Supports feeds with Basic and Digest HTTP Authentication.
News Explorer product info page
news_explorer_featurette_01.png

The App Store version of News Explorer is an universal purchase app that will run on all your iOS devices (10.3 and newer) plus Apple Watch, and Apple TV.

Download News Explorer on the App Store

Update 19 December, 2017:
News Explorer 1.8.3 has been released. See post #14.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donfor39

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for Apple TV has been updated to version 1.5.1!

This update contains the following fixes and improvements:
  • Fixed a duplication issue with legacy YouTube feed data
  • Enhanced handling of feed icons with problematic sources
  • Added missing Verified symbol in Twitter search results (tvOS)
  • Action "Open next subscription" is now the default for setting "After marking all as read"
  • Improved the performance of the Mark All as Read action by only processing subscriptions with unread items
  • Improved generation of title and summary for Tweets in Twitter feeds
  • Several other bug fixes
More info in our blog: https://betamagic.nl/blog.html

Last edited:

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer version 1.6, with support for JSON Feed, is now also available on Apple TV.

This update contains the following new features:
  • Support for the new JSON Feed syndication format. See our news blog for more details.
  • Implemented HTTP Conditional GET to minimise network traffic. See previous post for more details.
  • Improved support for Google RSS feeds.
More info in our blog: https://betamagic.nl/blog.html

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
OK. Personally, I have all my feeds setup just the way I like in Feedly and I point all my clients to that. That way I maintain a common Read/Unread status across all my devices.

I don't really want to manage a separate feed that is going to show me articles I've already read.

Interested when Feedly support is there.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
You can do the same with the built-in iCloud sync of News Explorer, but of course you have to use News Explorer on all your (Apple) devices to get them all in sync.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for tvOS has been updated to version 1.6.1, with the following fixes and improvements:

• Fixed a bug with feeds containing duplicate items
• Handling speed of 'Mark All as Read' has been improved
• Improved handling of items with equal identifiers belonging to different feeds
• Improved sync of Twitter metadata
• Extended date format support

https://betamagic.nl/products/newsexplorer.html

Last edited:

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for tvOS has been updated to version 1.7.1, with the following fixes and improvements:

• Improved iCloud sync algorithm to handle data conflicts
• Added support for Modified date field in JSON feeds
• Redownloading a feed will now also refresh the feed icon
• Solved a crash with selecting an image-less tweet in a news item with one or more other tweets with images

This update includes the updates of version 1.7, read our blog for more info: https://betamagic.nl/blog.html

https://betamagic.nl/products/newsexplorer.html

Reactions: babaroga73

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Would absolutely love to switch to this if it was compatible with feedly or had a web version or any way of tracking read status outside of the Apple ecosystem. I'm forced to use Windows PC's at various points throughout the day and not being able to know what's been read on other platforms is a dealbreaker.

Oh, and if you could make an option to have Reader View the default I might switch to this anyway. I'm not sure why no newsreader app has this option.

Last edited:

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for tvOS has been updated to version 1.8, with the following improvements:
  • Greatly improved iCloud synchronisation algorithm with semi realtime data exchange between active devices by using so called 'silent push notifications'. This should result in a more 'automatic' sync experience with less need to manual interventions.
  • Background app refresh support, to update feeds in the background.
  • When an article contains an external link, it will be used to generate the Reader view. This can be disabled in the settings.
More info can be found in the special blog page or on the product page.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for tvOS has been updated to version 1.8.1, with the following improvements:
  • The instant iCloud sync algorithm as introduced in version 1.8, has been tweaked to cover more complex synchronisation scenarios.
  • Support for themes in the tvOS version has been replaced by the built-in Appearance support of tvOS. In the Settings app of tvOS, you can choose between Light, Dark and Automatic appearance. News Explorer automatically adjusts itself to the set appearance. The Light appearance closely resembles the previous default theme. The Dark appearance setting however is completely rewritten and looks better and more vivid than the previous Dark theme. More info about the Appearance settings can be found in the Help, section Switching themes.

MacRumors_tvOS_01.jpg

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for tvOS has been updated to version 1.8.3, with the following improvements:
  • Added a new option Auto fix invalid feeds. When enabled, News Explorer will try to parse feeds that are normally rejected. This takes more time and processor power, and is therefore default disabled. The current implementation is limited to parsing invalid configured Wordpress feeds.
  • The image extraction algorithm has been improved and extended.
  • Fixed an issue that could lead to items that are set to read without user intervention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.