Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for iOS doesn't seem to push notifications of new articles from my RSS feeds every 5 minutes like I have it set to :(

I know there won't be a new article every 5 minutes but there is new articles and they are not being pushed to notifications.

So far I only have 3 notifications.

Is this a bug or glitch ? Thanks.

This is a limitation of Background App Refresh. The background refresh interval is determined by iOS, not the app.

More info in the FAQ, question 'Background App Refresh doesn’t work as expected. How do I fix this?'
[doublepost=1521795668][/doublepost]
Notifications are not working at all on my iPhone :(

Please read the FAQ, question 'Notifications doesn’t work. How do I fix this?'.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for iOS and watchOS has been updated to version 1.8.9, with the following new features:
  • You can now navigate between articles with an animated horizontal, vertical or page curl swipe gesture. The gesture type can be set in News Explorer section of the Settings app.
  • The Theme settings popover panel has been extended. You can now set the font size and weight of the article title.
  • Added support for the zoom pinch gesture in the article viewer. You can also double-tap to enlarge the tapped item to the maximum screen width.
  • Option to play HTML5 videos inline, instead of full screen. This option is part of the said settings.
The articles list contains the following new features and improvements:
  • The number of preview lines in the articles list can now be set. You can choose between 0 and 10 lines.
  • The width of the articles list on the iPad can now be further reduced to 280 pixels.
  • New option to use a slightly larger font in the articles list.
Much more info here, and of course on the product page.

MacRumors_iOS_03.gif

Last edited:

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for iOS and watchOS has been updated to version 1.8.11, with the following new features:
  • The article list now displays thumbnails!
  • To manage the new thumbnail view, a settings popup has been added to the article list. It can be activated by tapping on the three dot button in the bottom toolbar.
  • With this new popup, you can change the size, alignment and visibility of the thumbnails, the number of preview lines, font size and list view width (iPad).
  • The font weight and line height of the body text in the article reader are now adjustable
  • Added support for the new 40mm and 44mm Apple Watches.
Many more details here, and of course on the product page.

MacRumors_iOS_04.jpg

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for iOS and watchOS has been updated to version 1.9, with the following new features:
  • Permanent Reader view, as feed level option
  • Strongly improved Mercury Reader and Arc90 Readability engines
  • A new Poster article list view, with adjustable image size
  • Support for articles with RTL language
  • Unlimited storage periods for unread and read items
Read our news blog to see what else has been improved and fixed at https://betamagic.nl/news/2019/2019_05.html

MacRumors_iOS_05.jpg

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for iOS and watchOS has been updated to version 1.9.4

The main new feature concerns 26 new fonts for the article viewer. These fonts are selected from the Google Fonts collection, based on readability and good design. Furthermore you can now combine serif body fonts with sans serif article titles and/or article headers.

Some other changes in this update are:
  • Improved support for titleless article often found in microblog articles.
  • Navigating back from the article viewer to the article list by swiping from the left edge to the middle, works now under all circumstances.
  • The navigation bar will now default be made hidden when you scroll up.
More details about this update can be found in this blog article: https://betamagic.nl/news/2019/2019_06.html

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer for iOS and watchOS has been updated to version 1.9.5

This small update contains the following changes:
  • The app will now restore the last opened feed or folder on startup. This new behaviour can be disabled by changing setting 'Restore last list on startup' in the Viewing section of the News Explorer preferences in the Settings app.
  • When you use primary view 'Website Article' with embedded web viewer, you can now select sub option 'Request desktop site'.
  • The app will no longer consume network data when you scroll through an imageless article list.
  • Some layout issues have been solved with all settings popups when using the app on small devices in iOS 13 beta. Please note that this app is still not officially supported on iOS 13. Use at your own risk.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
So any plans for it to sync with a online service anytime soon ? Thanks.

If so which one?

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
News Explorer uses iCloud to synchronize all feeds, articles and statuses.

I know but you said in the future it was possible you would add a third party rss service to sync to. Like 1 to 2 years ago.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer's unique selling point is that it does not depend on a third party to synchronize all your news data between your devices. We have many interesting new features in our backlog that we currently find more important than implementing support for a third party rss service.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
News Explorer's unique selling point is that it does not depend on a third party to synchronize all your news data between your devices. We have many interesting new features in our backlog that we currently find more important than implementing support for a third party rss service.

Ok np.

Costanza1980

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2018
I’ve been hoping for so long for a new app icon that wasn’t so abhorrent to look at on a regular basis. I’ve actually switched to a competitor purely because the News Explorer icon makes my home screen look so grotesque.

Extraordinary functionality, however.

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer 1.9.6 for iOS and watchOS is now available, with support for iOS 13

Version 1.9.6 contains the following new features:
  • The System theme is now able to adapt to the Dark Mode appearance of iOS 13.
  • In addition to this, there is an option to Auto-switch between the standard Light and System-dark themes.
  • Integrated Preferences module: Apple ruined some parts of the Settings app in iOS 13 that were essential for News Explorer, so we had to integrate the settings in the app.
  • Restored and extended support for sharing to Instapaper and Pocket.
  • Strongly improved Background sync based on the new BackgroundTasks framework in iOS 13.
  • Mobile data settings, to limit network data usage when you're not on a wifi network.
  • Support for the new Context menu style of iOS 13 in all main views.
  • New navigation and toolbar tap gestures.
And much more. Read all about it here: https://betamagic.nl/news/2019/2019_07.html

Board-1-rescaled.png

Betamagic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 25, 2017
Netherlands
News Explorer 1.9.7 for iOS and watchOS is now available. This update contains the following new features and improvements:
  • Mark as read while scrolling: you can enable this in the new Experimental section of the News Explorer Preferences.
  • YouTube playlist support: playlist links are now automatically translated to feeds when you add them to News Explorer.
  • Save as Web Location Share sheet action: save or share links to articles as shortcut files.
  • Improved Reader view on watchOS: the article reader contains now a toggle button to activate Reader view, and the Reader view itself supports now paragraph formatting.
  • Move to... context menu item in the subscription list makes it possible to move a feed to another folder without activating the Editing modus.
  • Option to hide feed icons when using Image setting 'Poster' or 'None.
  • Restored old Background App Refresh, due to disappointing reliability of the new BackgroundTasks framework.
  • We have worked together with Apple to restore silent iCloud update notifications.
Link to App Store update: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/news-explorer/id1032668306?ls=1

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I highly recommend this app, especially for the Apple Watch. It makes reading news at a glance (and on the go) easy on the eyes, as well as easy to use. It is a very powerful app, and one that can be used without having to have your iPhone on you every minute.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
Wouldn't this be cool ?

Be able to sync RSS feeds from Windows PC to News Explorer on iOS ?

Will this ever be possible please ?

Guessing no but can't hurt to ask. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.