Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Is it possible to set up the Mail program OSX to use news groups? Thunderbird, OE Express, etc. all have this feature.

Thanks,

BB99

bigboy99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Thunderbird works fine with OSX. The reason I moved to Apple Mail was my mail, mailboxes, and addresses all imported perfectly the first time, but the T-Bird import scheme is a nightmare. Apple mail seems to do all that T-Bird does except I haven't figured out if it's possible to view mail by custom date preference. Mozilla does offer newsgroups, though, and I cannot find them in Apple Mail.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Apple's Mail doesn't support newsgroups, Thoth is probably the best reader if you can still find it, it's been discontinued although it's still running fine under 10.4.3.

MTNewswatcher is also pretty good.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've never quite understood the appeal of having your newsreader and mail program combined, but I suppose it makes sense for some workflows.

In any case, Mail's not going to do it (probably ever--I don't see Apple adding this), so you're either going to need to switch to Thunderbird or Entourage, or use Mail for mail and a different app for your news; Thunderbird is of course a decent option, but I'd probably stick to a dedicated newsreader personally. Thoth was amazing, but MT Newswatcher is free and handles text groups quite well, and there are others (have a look at VersionTracker). Unison is nice, but it's more binary centric, so it's probably not worth the money over the free options unless you really like the interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.