Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
I'm a recent switcher. So far, luv the Mac's.

The only negative so far, and it's not Apples fault, is that I rely heavily on my Palm Zire 72 PDA for Contact and Calender Management while I'm driving. I've recently downloaded Palms OS for Mac and, what a pile of junk! It looks like a failing grade in a middle school computer class! I can't believe Palm would put their name on something so ugly, with such limited functionality!

This has engendered an interest in alternatives, and especiallly the Newton. But i don't know enough to know if I could make it work. So, a couple of questions.

Is it possible to link a Newton to an Intel Mac?

Will the Newton Sync with Address book and iCal?

And most importantly, what other questions should i be asking?

The Mac I will be using is a Black Macbook.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
I think you might be looking at this the wrong way. As great as the newton was - it is a very old peice of kit nowadays and quite large compared with modern PDAs. You don't need to use palm desktop to sync your palm info with your mac. Conduits are available to sync info with iCal, address book, mail, or MS office (with entourage).

(netwon users out there - pls don't give me a hard time - I know the newton was ahead of it's time and is still functional! They're just not as easy to get up and running with new macs as palm based PDAs)

*Ducks for cover*

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Satori said:
*Ducks for cover*

LOL. Thanks for the response. I know about some of the apps that allow you to sync a Palm with Mac apps, I probably should have mentioned that I also have an interest in collecting, and a collectible that also functions and serves a useful purpose would be great!

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Try this

The Newton will synchronise with the very latest version of Mac OS X, using the amusingly named nSync software (available as a free download from Everchanging Software). You can send and receive faxes and email from the Newton using a wired or wireless modem. The Newton can print directly to IrDA printers without the need for a cable, and many serial or parallel printers are also compatible.

extract from:http://digitalliving.cnet.co.uk/specials/0,39030785,49282099-1,00.htm

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
Thanks, you've all been a great help. A few more questions though.

1. Is there a good place to get Newtons? Other than eBay?

2. There seems to be many different models. Is there 1 in particular I should look for? Or avoid?

3. What is this eMate, and is it worth a happy? ( The pricing is attractive, which seems to suggest bad things about them)!

UPDATE: I bit the bullet. A Newton 2100 is in the mail, ( if I didn't get scammed on eBay).

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
2100s are the "latest".
I have a MP120 and a 2100 at work on my desk - the 120 is a lunchtime "cuckoo-clock" and I use the 2100 for conversions between metric and US customary.

I have a 2 year old Dell Axim that i use for PDA stuff... it fits in a normal(eg. not Captain Kangaroo) pocket.

Z

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.