Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Is anyone familiar with Intel's future roadmap for their desktop and server CPUs? I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro within the next couple of months, and I just want to know what CPUs I can expect in the next version of the mac Pro.

I know that quad core Cloverton 2.66 is out but I'm wondering if a faster Woodcrest is planned (over 3GHz). I know that the more cores will speed up CPU intensive tasks like a rendering and encoding, but for regular day to day use with apps that only support one CPU anyway, I seem to prefer a faster clock speed instead. I rather have two dual core Woodcrests at 4 GHz than two quad core Cloverton at 2.66. What do you guys think?

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
When Penryn-based processors come out, there will be a monolithic dual core server chip to replace Woodcrest, and a MCM quad core chip to replace Clovertown. Penryn chips will be further tweaked so may see a slight performance/clock advantage, plus will clock up as high as 4GHz

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
So you don't think there's going to be any chips clocking higher than 3Ghz this year?

If Penryn is not out until late this year, I may just as well buy a Mac Pro with 3GHz Woodcrests now if I'm not interested in the 2.66 Clovertons?

Any reason I should wait and buy a Mac pro with Clovertons instead of the Woodcrests? My past experience tells me I always like a computer with highest clock speed possibe.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Is anyone familiar with Intel's future roadmap for their desktop and server CPUs? I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro within the next couple of months, and I just want to know what CPUs I can expect in the next version of the mac Pro.

I know that quad core Cloverton 2.66 is out but I'm wondering if a faster Woodcrest is planned (over 3GHz). I know that the more cores will speed up CPU intensive tasks like a rendering and encoding, but for regular day to day use with apps that only support one CPU anyway, I seem to prefer a faster clock speed instead. I rather have two dual core Woodcrests at 4 GHz than two quad core Cloverton at 2.66. What do you guys think?

If the money matters to you, Intel price drops on Xeons were expected in January. That could affect an Apple refresh of the Mac Pro lineup. The only other thing worth waiting for in the short term if you're not interested in more cores would be newer graphics cards and potential for new BTO options like Blu-ray.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
If the money matters to you, Intel price drops on Xeons were expected in January. That could affect an Apple refresh of the Mac Pro lineup. The only other thing worth waiting for in the short term if you're not interested in more cores would be newer graphics cards and potential for new BTO options like Blu-ray.

Yeah, faster graphics is definitely at the top of my wish list. Aperture is one GPU hungry beast... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.