Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I helped my boss move some arcade machines and in his garage he had a next cube, full package of everything and he gave it to mee!!!! any one else have a next product!? I would like to meet some fellow nextophobes lol

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Came with openstep 3.3 and all. I have been looking for one of these for a long time......i'm in collage right now, when i get a house i want to have a classic gaming and computing room in my basement with nes' and snes's and apple II's and all that good stuff and this next cube will be awsome! My feonce says i'm crazy but hey, arn't all us mac users crazy!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Next Cube!!

Originally posted by kaltsasa
I helped my boss move some arcade machines and in his garage he had a next cube, full package of everything and he gave it to mee!!!! any one else have a next product!? I would like to meet some fellow nextophobes lol

I am a NeXT fan. I have a NeXTStation Turbo Color ( pic ). I run NEXTSTEP v3.3 on it. I also have OpenStep v4.2. Up until a little over a year ago you could e-mail Apple and ask for either NEXTSTEP or OpenStep and they would send you the docs and CD's if you gave them the SN off your NeXT unit. I asked for each on separate occasions and they gave both to me! NEXTSTEP runs faster than OpenStep on the NeXT machines, but OpenStep is a shade more up to date.

There's lots you can do with the NeXT machines. Just do google searches for "NeXT" and you'll find some good stuff. Welcome to the bretheren.

blakespot

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
coolios! I havnt the time to get it all cleaned up and running right now(classes are kicking my ass) but have a bootable hd and it does boot into a command line or something like that so i know it works. EEEEEEEE next 'm so excited and i just cant hide it lol

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I've had a couple of NeXT cubes (and a handfull of slabs) but the optical drives in the cubes never seemed to work for long. One lasted about 5 minutes longer than the time it took to transfer the OS.. luckily I also had it on CD. They are such cool-looking machines. The first time I booted OS X Server (the old one.. version 1.x that wouldn't run on G4's) I was shocked by how much it looked and acted like NeXTStep. I'm glad that OS X 10.x has buried the Unix much deeper than NeXTStep... but part of me misses the less dressed-up aspects. Great machine! (And can't beat the price!) Congrats!

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
A couple of very jelous techies at my school lol. i have an external scsi drive for it if the internal doesnt work, i hope mabye over spring break in 2 weeks i can get it cleaned up and running and some pics taken

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by IndyGopher
I've had a couple of NeXT cubes (and a handfull of slabs) but the optical drives in the cubes never seemed to work for long. One lasted about 5 minutes longer than the time it took to transfer the OS.. luckily I also had it on CD. They are such cool-looking machines. The first time I booted OS X Server (the old one.. version 1.x that wouldn't run on G4's) I was shocked by how much it looked and acted like NeXTStep. I'm glad that OS X 10.x has buried the Unix much deeper than NeXTStep... but part of me misses the less dressed-up aspects. Great machine! (And can't beat the price!) Congrats!

You could pretty much do everything (as in OS X) under NeXTSTEP without ever using the terminal. It was very impressive. Also impressive is the .app structure. Each application in NeXTSTEP, as in OS X, is a directory, in fact, with all the pieces needed to run the app (binary in that directory). It costs a little in storage, as there are redundant files in most of the app dirs that could be shared in one central location---but it makes for so much neater a system. No throwing of hundreds of files per app into the system dir, etc.

Clean and ideal in a time where GB's cost nothing.

blakespot

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
The exact same thing happened to me!

Oh wait, I just got some NeXT stationary. Boo-hoo. :(

I think it would be cool to have a NeXT box, but don't you think NeXT is way too X-Windows/Gnome/KDE-esque? I mean right now, on your Mac, you have most of the advantages of NeXT plus all of the elegance of a Mac OS. OS X is just that good.

And if you don't like OS X ***gasp***, just install XFree86 on top of Darwin (or a full OS X install) and run the OpenStep window manager. Not *exactly* the same, but pretty dang close.

Matthew

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Came with openstep 3.3 and all. I have been looking for one of these for a long time......i'm in collage right now, when i get a house i want to have a classic gaming and computing room in my basement with nes' and snes's and apple II's and all that good stuff and this next cube will be awsome! My feonce says i'm crazy but hey, arn't all us mac users crazy!

hey! We are normal, its all the other who are crazy (no offence to ur g/s)

Ensign

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
I definitly prefer my speedy mac but i love the nostalga, i just installed new connectors in my nes so they are like new now.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: The exact same thing happened to me!

Originally posted by mrtrumbe
I think it would be cool to have a NeXT box, but don't you think NeXT is way too X-Windows/Gnome/KDE-esque? I mean right now, on your Mac, you have most of the advantages of NeXT plus all of the elegance of a Mac OS. OS X is just that good.

And if you don't like OS X ***gasp***, just install XFree86 on top of Darwin (or a full OS X install) and run the OpenStep window manager. Not *exactly* the same, but pretty dang close.

Matthew
The one word that best describes NEXTSTEP is "elegant." Let me assure you of that from the start. Prior to OS X, it was the most elegant OS that I have ever seen. In a way it is moreso than OS X becuase its elegance you could witness first hand as early as 1988 when the first version was released! Talk about something being ahead of its time!

OS X differs in many ways, as far as its feel and its user experience, from OS 9. That is becuase OS X basically _is_ the latest version of NEXTSTEP, bringing the NeXT user experience to the Mac, and in the process adding the graphical splendor of Aqua. But make no mistake--it's got the feel of NEXTSTEP. So no, I would not say NEXTSTEP is too X-Windows-like as compared to OS X. It's just not quite as polished.

The popular window managers for Linux AfterStep and GNUStep and WindowMaker are all trying to emulate NEXTSTEP. They do not fully succeeed, as all of the underpinnings of NEXTSTEP are not present in the Linux system. So if you're using those Linux window managers as an example of NEXTSTEP's UI in action. then you're definitely being misled.

It would be silly to do anything serious with NEXTSTEP today, given that I have a dual G4 800 sitting on my desk next to it---but the NeXT unit is one of my most prized posessions, to be sure. It is a shame that everyone has not had the chance to spend a few hours in front of one.

blakespot

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I definitly prefer my speedy mac but i love the nostalga, i just installed new connectors in my nes so they are like new now.

Nostalgia is great. I just purchased several 8-bit Ataris and a piece of hardware to add to my hacked i-opener to give it a real serial port so that I can take this app (I recently purchased as well) and use the PC as a Atari disk drive emulator so that I can load disk images from the PC onto the Atari's without dealing in 5.25" floppies.

Yea, nostalgia is a good thing--so good that here I'm trying to retroactively force nostalgia, as I never really owned an 8-bit Atari before. I read plenty about them (also just got my stack of 14 Creative Computing magazines from 1983-1984 via eBay). We'll see how this works.

blakespot

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Originally posted by blakespot
Nostalgia is great. ..Yea, nostalgia is a good thing--so good that here I'm trying to retroactively force nostalgia, as I never really owned an 8-bit Atari before...
blakespot

Nostalgia is the motivation behind almost my entire collection :) Nostalgia is a Good Thing.

I never owned an Atari computer, period (except the 2600, but...) until I got a Portfolio last week. Cool little machine but at the same time limited because I have no idea how to sync it with anything.

Still, machines that I wanted back in the day were thousands, now they can be had off auctions for next to nothing :)

Ed_Oscuro

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2003
Bugger, thought this thread was a bit more recent :)

Has anybody who's used a NeXT Cube had the chance to try out a Sharp x68000 series computer? The venerable Sharp machine wouldn't really stand to comparison...but the price was right on those machines, and they sure had the right features.

Hopefully this fellow will be getting a Cube soon. Found one in my home state. It'll sit next to that Sharp x68000 I bought a while back (if/when I get a Cube).

macsmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2004
Hello,
I've tried to install a NeXTStep 3.3 x86 Version in Virtual PC 5.
For this I've found an installguide for VPC 5 and NeXTStep 3.3.
The basesystemm installation was succesfully.
But when the graphical installer starts it hangs on "starting naming services" or "network services" - what is wrong?

some terms of the installguide:
14. Select the drive-- should be 2047MB-- and, when prompted, select the option to 'erase the entire disk and use all 2044 MB for NEXTSTEP' (partitioning is likely moot in VPC). Confirm that, yes, in fact, you really do want to start installing NEXTSTEP.
15. Wait a long while; NS should reformat the 'disk' and install the base operating system.

The following terms of further installation are:

here the VPC hangs -> It will then boot into the graphical installer into which you can install additional packages.

16. Insert driver floppies as prompted.

17. System should boot into Config.app. Do not add display or networking hardware! Might want to go into expert mode and set Boot Graphics to No as it will give better clues if the VPC image doesn't reboot correctly.

18. When prompted, install appropriate packages (and wait another long while).

19. Uncapture the floppy image and reboot (as prompted by NEXTSTEP).

20. System should boot, ask a setup question, then log into the me account. Set the password on me (to myself and logout (this will force a login panel to appear).

21. Login to NEXTSTEP as root.

here you get informations about install the s3 driver.

Thanks for helping!

greetings martin

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'd love a NeXT cube, that'd be so nice to have around and have fun working with from time to time. Unfortunately, being a college student, I just don't have the money nor do I have the space to be buying lots of unneeded stuff.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
I have a Turbo Color slab sitting idle in the basement right now. I need to get my home office in shape so that I can bring it back online. I hope to get it connected to my network and online. I had it online about 4 years ago and it will be intersting to see how Omniweb handles current web sites.

NeXTstep was the most elegant OS ever, until Jaguar (and now Panther)...

It is funny to see the UI elements in Win95 that are 100% pixel for pixel hijackings of items in NeXTstep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.