Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Well I really don´t like the notch and staying with the 8 Plus right now. So I was playing with the notch design ... I know that you can´t recognize the phone right now as an iPhone but .. how do you like it? It isn´t that bad, right?

Attachments

• appleiphone8_schematic_1.jpg
    appleiphone8_schematic_1.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 214

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It doesn't matter so much because a 'safe area' is implemented for the area around the notch. Basically it's like a status bar area which displays your status icons and the notch doesn't eat into the operable area in normal situations. Videos avoid the notch by default but in some apps like YouTube, if you so choose, can also fill the video to the entire screen which cuts off a bit of the top and bottom and also the notch area, but this is entirely optional.

In other situations, you have much larger screen area then the plus phone. You can see the notch as a much smaller forehead, and that the chin is completely gone. It's overall very good for the user.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
I understand your point and absolutely respect it .. and get it .. but .. the problem with the notch, in my opinion, is a psychological one. It interfere with the display.

Reactions: austyn23

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
I like your design, but I think it would be symmetrical (you made a little bump on the top of the frame).

Will sometimes put the camera in the small frame, I hope!

The NOTCH is a stain on the screen, people that says it not bothers is to justify the 1000 usd phone ;)

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Optimist or pessimist? Is the Glass half Full or half empty? Does the notch allow the screen to extend to the far corners of the device, or does the notch encroach on the display?

The Notch is not subtracting from the Display. IMO the two tabs or wings have allowed the display to to expand to fill the device and have converted valuable "forehead" real-estate in to functional screen.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Optimist or pessimist? Is the Glass half Full or half empty? Does the notch allow the screen to extend to the far corners of the device, or does the notch encroach on the display?

The Notch is not subtracting from the Display. IMO the two tabs or wings have allowed the display to to expand to fill the device and have converted valuable "forehead" real-estate in to functional screen.
But when you´re scrolling through apps you see that the picture is symmetrical. So it does interfere. Your brain knows it. I do recognize the notch as a design trademark but it is on the half way from the designers perspective because final design should fuse practicality and aesthetics together.
[doublepost=1538990572][/doublepost]
I like your design, but I think it would be symmetrical (you made a little bump on the top of the frame).

Will sometimes put the camera in the small frame, I hope!

The NOTCH is a stain on the screen, people that says it not bothers is to justify the 1000 usd phone ;)
I guess they would like to have something like this in the end .. who knows If it is technically possible since the curved glass would definitely distort the sensors and camera ..

Attachments

8.6 KB · Views: 66
    258.9 KB · Views: 65

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Exactly what I wanted to say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.