Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
I am confused. The card you've provided a link to lists a length of 14.5 inches. According to BareFeats, the longest card that will fit into the 7.1 Mac is 12.2 inches. Did you link the wrong card, or did you actually fit a 14.5 inch card in your 7.1 Mac? Incidentally, I purchased an RX 6900 XT video card from Amazon a while ago that lists a length of 11.26 inches, and it did appear that that 12.2 inch maximum size was accurate.

He's using a Reference RX-7900 XTX made by Sapphire.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 4.22.25 PM.png

You really should learn the difference between the reference cards and the overclocked ones. The OC cards generally have better specs but they are larger (with Gigabyte usually being the exception though not always), as they have different cooler designs to accommodate for being OC'd, etc....

Last edited:

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
Really - I should learn the difference between the reference cards and the overclocked ones? All I did was click on the Amazon link he provided to the person who asked what make and model card his was. The card in that link is 14.5 inches long. I already know how to read the length of video cards and find one that will fit. I was attempting to prevent someone who doesn't know from buying a card that will not fit in their 7.1 Mac.
Thanks for your 'help'.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Really - I should learn the difference between the reference cards and the overclocked ones? All I did was click on the Amazon link he provided to the person who asked what make and model card his was. The card in that link is 14.5 inches long. I already know how to read the length of video cards and find one that will fit. I was attempting to prevent someone who doesn't know from buying a card that will not fit in their 7.1 Mac.
Thanks for your 'help'.

No need to get mad, your condescension is absolutely unnecessary -- I wasn't trying to be flippant, just meant you should learn that there are several types of GPUs other than just reference, as per your original comment, you seem to believe all GPUs are the same.

Also, the card he linked on Amazon is literally the exact same one that I linked you above from Techpowerup (21322-01-20G).

I don't know how old you are, but amazon isn't always a trustworthy source, especially when it comes to device specs -- however, Techpowerup is always spot on with their data, so one last bit of advice -- don't always trust spec info listed on amazon. This goes for any device you are looking at on there.

Glad I could help you learn a few new things today!

Last edited:

Logix1

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2017
I am confused. The card you've provided a link to lists a length of 14.5 inches. According to BareFeats, the longest card that will fit into the 7.1 Mac is 12.2 inches. Did you link the wrong card, or did you actually fit a 14.5 inch card in your 7.1 Mac? Incidentally, I purchased an RX 6900 XT video card from Amazon a while ago that lists a length of 11.26 inches, and it did appear that that 12.2 inch maximum size was accurate.
The specs on Amazon are wrong, the Sapphire card from the link I provided is the card you see on the picture in post #52

Reactions: prefuse07

Bggale

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2019
Whittier, Ca
Wow prefuse07 - I don't know how I've been able to even get this interweb thingy to work without all of your help! Thanks sooooooo much - you must be some kind of computer genius! I guess I'm just toooooo old to figure anything out on my own, eh?
Logix1 - you provided the simple explanation/answer to my question. Thanks. I won't be posting here again, cuz I guess I'm just toooo old.

Reactions: KingofGotham1

Leborgne23

macrumors member
May 23, 2018
I have a good feeling that Apple will be kind to MP 7.1 buyers and that the first beta of Ventura 13.5 will have support for RDNA3. We'll get to see that in a few weeks when 13.4 is out and the beta cycle for 13.5 begins.
First beta of MacOS 13.5 is out !
Can someone with an actual 7900 XTX or XT install it and do a report ? THX

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
First beta of MacOS 13.5 is out !
Can someone with an actual 7900 XTX or XT install it and do a report ? THX
Look to see if there are AMDRadeonX7000 kexts in Extensions. If not, open the Info.plist file inside the AMDRadeonX6000Frambuffer.kext file with TextEdit and search for "Navi31" in case they combined it.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
No dev account and no public beta yet. That’s why I was asking 😉
There are some ways to do it without.

You can search online for the beta profile.

Mr. Macintosh often posts the direct download links. It looks like that one hasn't been posted yet. I think maybe there isn't a full installer for it.

Mr. Macintosh lists some additional methods. I checked Mist and there is no 13.5 installer available, so it must be an update.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
One of my Macs is on the Developer scheme but no 12.6.7 or 13.5 available for it yet.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I was just thinking it may be unlikely Apple put Navi 31 drivers in the first 13.5 beta because they probably don’t want to give us a sneak peak before WWDC. I think Navi 21 drivers arrived in the 3rd beta of 11.4. That timeline is about right for WWDC. It could also be that they are in 14.0 beta instead. That also matches up.

I think 14.0 is more likely if Apple wants to tighten their grip. It will probably be more difficult to install on older Macs than Ventura. That will help prevent people from using a 7000 series GPU in anything older than a 7,1.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I think 14.0 is more likely if Apple wants to tighten their grip. It will probably be more difficult to install on older Macs than Ventura. That will help prevent people from using a 7000 series GPU in anything older than a 7,1.

The most likely scenario is that they will not support any newer GPUs than 6800/6900 from AMD anymore. They will probably hack together some ASI based option and use some benchmarketing to show how fast it is on particular tests.

Some of us will move over to Windows on our 7,1 machines or just give big $$$ to Puget Systems. I'm looking at one now with $17465.44 price tag, not bad for what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: mode11

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
The most likely scenario is that they will not support any newer GPUs than 6800/6900 from AMD anymore. They will probably hack together some ASI based option and use some benchmarketing to show how fast it is on particular tests.

Jaded cynic that I am, I have a hard time believing they're going to hang people out to dry who buy the "expandable & upgradable" expensive system, which is still a current product, and whose entire purpose was to reassure professional users that Apple was a reliable partner to trust with a long term toolchain investment.

Apple included support for Mojave era GPUs on 5,1s, even though it lost bootscreens, because they'd provided that support to TB3 equipped Macs via eGPU, which were a whole generation after the 2013 Mac Pro, and for which the 2013 didn't get any support.

I keep thinking about that when people talk but Apple secretly loving the 2013 - they didn't make eGPU a thing for the 2013, even though the eGPU community made it work, but they DID give the cMP crowd a supported life extension.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
It would be great if the 7900xtx is supported, but the size of most models are just to big to fit inside the 7.1 mac pro. Only the reference card fits so far which is a shame as they are no longer produced so only available 2nd hand and you dont know if you will be buying an early one with the cooling fault on the heatsink. Unless a manufacturer comes out with a shorter version to fit inside the 7.1 mac pro it will become hard to obtain one which will drive up the price.

Hopefully gigabyte will produce a shorter version, have to wait and see.

Rukuru

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
It would be great if the 7900xtx is supported, but the size of most models are just to big to fit inside the 7.1 mac pro. Only the reference card fits so far which is a shame as they are no longer produced so only available 2nd hand and you dont know if you will be buying an early one with the cooling fault on the heatsink. Unless a manufacturer comes out with a shorter version to fit inside the 7.1 mac pro it will become hard to obtain one which will drive up the price.

Hopefully gigabyte will produce a shorter version, have to wait and see.
Just FYI, Gigabyte already have a card that will fit the 2019 Mac Pro:

Card size

L=287 W=123 H=51 mm

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I have to wonder if AMD dropping the number of display outs in the w7xxx series will have any effect on Apple doing an MPX version - going from 6 to 4 is a pretty substantial drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.