Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you want to see in the next-gen Apple Studio Display?

• Total voters

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
Nothing on your list.

Would I like to see a lower list price? Yes, but not without camera.

Many people misunderstand the ASD.

Apple is not in the monitor business. The ASD is not intended to be a monitor option for any old computer.

The ASD is the top-half of a Macintosh system.

The other half is ideally a Mac Studio, or at least a Mini or Macbook.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
There's probably nothing that would cause me to replace my ASDs at this point. They work fine. Now that they're purchased, they are with me (or my family) for a long, long time.

Reactions: picpicmac

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I've never understood Apple's thing against buttons on monitors. I suppose they expect that you'll control your monitor brightness using a Mac specific keyboard with brightness controls. Are they wary of monitor embedded controls interfering with keyboard or on-screen brightness inputs?

I'm not asking for the horrific 7 rocker button calibration row of buttons that was common on older LCD screens. I just want the basics.

The thing that annoyed me the most when I upgrade from a 30" Apple Cinema Display to the LG 5K Ultrafine was losing the use of the + and - brightness buttons and the power button.

At least give us a power button because almost all of us have monitor sleep issues at some time and many of us have our monitors in a room where we're sleeping ourselves.

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
I finally picked up an ASD last night - glossy, adjustable height. I've been using just my MacBook Pro 16 display for the last couple of months, and I have experience using a Pro Display XDR.

I have to say, right off the bat I'm a bit underwhelmed with the ASD. The lack of ProMotion is jarring coming from the MBP. The black levels and contrast ratio are just OK, both worse than the MBP display. Certainly far off my OLED TVs.

All these things would be acceptable -- in a display half the price. I think Apple really needs to update this with OLED and ProMotion, but I'm guessing they won't do it until Thunderbolt 5 launches.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
OLED + ProMotion + 5k for me

This combo would take it over the top of the many 4k QD-OLED 240hz monitors starting to come out right now (and for the rest of 2024)

(Just to head off the inevitable comments...5k/120hz is perfectly doable with DSC, which Apple has been using for years on the XDR)

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Would I like to see a lower list price? Yes, but not without camera.
This! So we can get a next gen 32" 6K display in a iMac M4 that starts at $1799-1999.

Only thing holding back an iMac 32" is the display parts price. 2019 Pro Display XDR is $4999.

By Q4 2024 the XDR will be 5 years old.

For decades Apple has historically stuck to traditional Mac price points & price ranges.

Original 1998 iMac 15" G3 released 25 years ago started at $1299.

Last Halloween's iMac 24" M3 starts at $1299.

Inflation adjusted 1998's $1299 would have the buying power of $2,428.27 in 2023.

So the $1299 2023 iMac 24" M3 would be $694.90 in 1998.

Last edited:

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
If it stay at the same price, then a better built-in camera, HDR and ideally 120-Hz refresh rate would be good. I'd also suggest adding an HDMI port. Regardless of what Apple may conceptualize this product to be, how it meets the wants and needs of the user base matters, and many people paying this amount of money would like to get the most out of their investment - which may involve the option to connect a gaming console and/or Windows PC (e.g.: from work) to it from time-to-time. If I were paying what these things cost, I'd want maximum utility for my investment.

I'd also like to see all versions VESA compatible, rather than having to choose that option at purchase or pay to have it modified later.

Given that such a monitor may serve a hub function, it's Thunderbolt, Thunderbolt 5 is coming out and at this price many people will use their ASD for many years, it needs to have Thunderbolt 5.

Unless OLED is a higher-priced option I don't think we'd get all this + OLED at the current price point.

If it's going to have an A-series chip and built-in camera, it ought to do facial recognition. Otherwise, I've got to wonder how much these things add to the price.

On a related note, I think the price on the height-adjustable stand is insane.

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
I don't want OLED for a monitor that I will use for about 10 years, because unfortunately OLED is still not suitable for that. It's OK for a maximum of 3 years, but the longer you want to use OLED as a monitor (not TV), the higher the risk of burn-out.

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
Here are my requirements for a new monitor:

1. at least 220PPI
2. 32"
3. glossy coating
4. 120+Hz
5. 6K or higher resolution
6. good design
7. price below 2.000€
8. must work with both PC and Mac without any problems, i.e. TB5 and DisplayPort 2.x support
9. LCD and not OLED, because the monitor should be durable (at least 10 years)

Reactions: drrich2

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
I don't want OLED for a monitor that I will use for about 10 years, because unfortunately OLED is still not suitable for that. It's OK for a maximum of 3 years, but the longer you want to use OLED as a monitor (not TV), the higher the risk of burn-out.
That's fine. The contrast ratio just isn't that amazing on the ASD. Perhaps with a new miniLED panel it would be better.

Reactions: choreo

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
None of the above. I also don’t understand FaceId on a Mac. Anything that uses biometric authentication will still require user confirmation (akin to double pressing the power button on the iPhone), which means users will still need to press a key.

Since TouchId is more secure than FaceId and since you’d still need to press a key, you’d be adding complexity and cost for less security.

What I’d like:
- larger size (30-32”)
- higher resolution (6k+)
- better speakers and webcam
- Multiple Thunderbolt (not just USB C) ports
- Low latency ability to airplay to the monitor (no Mac required)
- variable refresh rate

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
None of the above. I also don’t understand FaceId on a Mac. Anything that uses biometric authentication will still require user confirmation (akin to double pressing the power button on the iPhone), which means users will still need to press a key.

Since TouchId is more secure than FaceId and since you’d still need to press a key, you’d be adding complexity and cost for less security.
But that's just your perception, because according to Apple, Face ID is several times more secure than Touch ID can ever be!

And why no Face ID in a monitor? Have you never worked with Windows Hello and a certified web cam?

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
Face ID would be great since I'm using a Logitech keyboard and don't have TouchID available most of the time.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
But that's just your perception, because according to Apple, Face ID is several times more secure than Touch ID can ever be!

And why no Face ID in a monitor? Have you never worked with Windows Hello and a certified web cam?
Actually, it wasn’t based on my perception at all but Apple’s own data. I actually greatly prefer Face ID. There’s a better white paper that drills down into the percentages which was released when the iPhone X debuted, but I wasn’t able to find it quickly.

And yes, I’ve tried lots of different biometric authenticators. Every one of the Surface and Lenovo laptops I used still required me to confirm that I wanted to perform an action, which means I still have to press something, which means Face ID on a Mac would not save me any steps (just like an iPad with a keyboard attached)

Plus, Apple’s implementation isn’t just optically based (like every Windows solution I’m aware of), which means a thicker laptop lid than the one we have already. So again, you’re trading complexity for a solution that isn’t more user friendly (at least in a meaningful way I can see.)

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
External speakers and separate camera provides much greater utility (at lest in my experience). Leave them out of the display and reduce the cost & complexity of the display.

Dark-Signature

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2022
Actually, it wasn’t based on my perception at all but Apple’s own data. I actually greatly prefer Face ID. There’s a better white paper that drills down into the percentages which was released when the iPhone X debuted, but I wasn’t able to find it quickly.
Wait a minute. You claimed that Touch ID is more secure than Face ID. To prove this, you post a link that proves me right, namely that Face ID is more secure than Touch ID. And now you claim that there is another article that confirms your original thesis, but you can no longer find it.

Face-ID:
The probability that a random member of the public can look at your iPhone or iPad Pro and unlock it with Face ID is less than 1 in 1,000,000 with a registered appearance - regardless of whether you are wearing a mask or not.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/102381

Touch-ID:
The probability of this is 1 in 50,000 if a finger is registered. In addition, Touch ID only allows five unsuccessful attempts to match your fingerprint before you have to enter your password.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/105095

So I stand by my statement and have now posted the original Apple whitepaper articles here, which clearly prove that FaceID is much more secure than TouchID. q.e.d

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
As long as Face ID is secure enough, and it is for the large majority, whether touch ID (which is also secure enough) is even more secure, or somewhat less, probably won't be a driving concern for most people.

And yes, I’ve tried lots of different biometric authenticators. Every one of the Surface and Lenovo laptops I used still required me to confirm that I wanted to perform an action, which means I still have to press something, which means Face ID on a Mac would not save me any steps (just like an iPad with a keyboard attached)
But does it have to be that way, and even if so could the 'press something' be as simple as moving or pressing the mouse? I figure anyone wanting to wake up his Mac intends to do something with it, which indicates using the mouse and probably keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.