Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Paris

I think Paris will be the place for updates for laptops.
The Tibook and iBbok will both get speed bumps.
The Tibook I guess will go to 1ghz with DDR RAM, and the same 133mhz system bus maybe faster but who knows?
The iBook may go to 700mhz or 800mhz, G4 is a possiblity. Also a bigger video card 32mb would be nice:)

Paris will be the big one for laptops.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
From this point on, I've got a feeling that the iMac and TiBook will share the same processor--and why not? If Apple can buy 1GHz G4s for the TiBook and the iMac, Apple could likely get those processors cheaper.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw both the iMac and the TiBook take on the PowerMacs crippled DDR implementation. It looks good at a marketing level.

kuzelnik

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2002
iPhoto

I met a woman from the Apple iPhoto team yesterday and she told me that it was going to be very soon-- something like "in the next week or so" is what she precisely said . . .

We spoke about the speed, which is my biggest complaint. Unfortunately, she seemed obliviouos to any speed issues (or maybe she just feigned ignorance). I told her to try iView and compare the speed it takes to open the application as well as scrolling performance.

She was kind of a ditz because she had no idea that there were minimum hardware requirements for Quartz Extreme in 10.2. Macs with less than 16MB of VRAM will have to continue using software instead of hardware acceleration (which currently means all laptops). So Quartz Extreme is virtually meaningless for anyone without a desktop mid-range video card.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Re: iPhoto

Originally posted by kuzelnik
Macs with less than 16MB of VRAM will have to continue using software instead of hardware acceleration (which currently means all laptops). So Quartz Extreme is virtually meaningless for anyone without a desktop mid-range video card.

Uh, no offense... but this is the 2nd time I've read a post where you make this mistake. For the record, current TiPowerBooks have 32 MB ATI Radeon video cards, and current iBooks have 16 MB Radeons, the same as last generations G4 PBs.

You're probably thinking of older (first generation, which I think I read was what you had) G4 PBs and iBooks which had 8 MB cards.

Just thought I'd point that out in case no one else does. Don't worry folks, your old non-Radeons will still get a boost from 10.2. You just won't be able to take full advantage of QE.

Now bring on the GHz+ 'Books with 64 MB+ vid cards!!!

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Regardless...the Powerbook should have 64MB video and the ibook 32MB for 2 reasons:

1) If you cannot match intel/AMD in processing power- at least match/beat in video.

2) Quartz Extreme

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Regardless...the Powerbook should have 64MB video and the ibook 32MB for 2 reasons:

1) If you cannot match intel/AMD in processing power- at least match/beat in video.

2) Quartz Extreme

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(mr evil brkfast) Regardless...the Powerbook should have 64MB video and the ibook 32MB for 2 reasons:>(mr evil brkfast) Regardless...the Powerbook should have 64MB video and the ibook 32MB for 2 reasons:

>1) If you cannot match intel/AMD in processing power- at least match/beat in video.

The Powerbook was meant to be a top of the line portable. That's why you won't see the iBook in competition with other top dog notebooks, which can handle the intense graphics.

>2) Quartz Extreme

I think as long as you have 16MB of video memory you can do a lot of graphics. Again, the iBook isn't meant to compete, but is just meant for the avg. consumer. The avg. consumer usually doesn't use such highly-detailed graphics.

>(mr evil brkfast) Regardless...the Powerbook should have 64MB video and the ibook 32MB for 2 reasons:

>1) If you cannot match intel/AMD in processing power- at least match/beat in video.

The Powerbook was meant to be a top of the line portable. That's why you won't see the iBook in competition with other top dog notebooks, which can handle the intense graphics.

>2) Quartz Extreme

I think as long as you have 16MB of video memory you can do a lot of graphics. Again, the iBook isn't meant to compete, but is just meant for the avg. consumer. The avg. consumer usually doesn't use such highly-detailed graphics.

:D :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.