Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSteveo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
I am making an iPad Pro next generation prediction. I predict that the next iPad Pro will have a M3 Max chip. When I say I am predicting, I really mean that I am hoping a lot ….. lol … Let’s start this rumor and maybe Apple will see it and make it happen. Next iPad Pro with M3 Max chip.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I am making an iPad Pro next generation prediction. I predict that the next iPad Pro will have a M3 Max chip. When I say I am predicting, I really mean that I am hoping a lot ….. lol … Let’s start this rumor and maybe Apple will see it and make it happen. Next iPad Pro with M3 Max chip.
Good suggestion :) next update round for iPad pro will be M3, not the Max one 😊. M Max and Ultra appear to be only for Mac only😊. With current iPadOS limitation, iPad pro has not been using M processor capabilities to maximum. So, unless iPadOS evolves, no much use or benefit for having M, M Max or Ultra.

Reactions: Alex Cai

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Not even Gurman and Kuo will follow this “prediction” …

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Good suggestion :) next update round for iPad pro will be M3, not the Max one 😊. M Max and Ultra appear to be only for Mac only😊. With current iPadOS limitation, iPad pro has not been using M processor capabilities to maximum. So, unless iPadOS evolves, no much use or benefit for having M, M Max or Ultra.
An OS should draw as little CPU overhead as possible. Blame the apps, not the OS. There are very few compute heavy apps on iPad but Octane render on iPad is here. Zbrush is coming. All video software taxes the SoC as well. Then we have games and especially graphics heavy AAA ports games using the new hardware features of M3.

iSteveo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
You are all probably correct, about not seeing an M3 Max, but I would still like to see it. However, I wouldn’t be to surprised if they did put an M3 Pro chip in or at least a chip that they called a pro chip. It stands to reason that the iPad Pro, would get a “Pro” chip …… Just like the iphone 15 Pro (A17 Pro chip). However, I agree, if the OS and software did not take advantage of the hardware, it would not be as noticeable as it should be.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You are all probably correct, about not seeing an M3 Max, but I would still like to see it. However, I wouldn’t be to surprised if they did put an M3 Pro chip in or at least a chip that they called a pro chip. It stands to reason that the iPad Pro, would get a “Pro” chip …… Just like the iphone 15 Pro (A17 Pro chip). However, I agree, if the OS and software did not take advantage of the hardware, it would not be as noticeable as it should be.
M3 pro is very unlikely in the current iPad pro sizes... I don't see it likely even in a larger iPad, but not totally impossible, but they would need to add battery and therefore weight to offset the additional power to an already heavier device and I doubt Apple is coming with a 1kg iPad anytime soon....

iSteveo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Why??? It would be twice as expensive, and you still couldn't do anything with it.
Seems like there would be some benefit to it. Although another poster pointed out the bigger battery and therefore the additional weight and I concur the additional weight would not be a welcomed addition.

iSteveo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
What, other than higher power consumption?
Optimize the OS to use the chip to the full potential, including games, and I think it would sell well. I use my iPad more than my Macbook Pro, but that is mostly for convenience. I bought the 11 inch M1 with 1 TB, I was hoping that the 16 GB of ram would make a difference. I cannot notice the difference in day to day use. I can see Apple using a “Pro” chip in the iPad Pro and a non pro chip in non pro model iPads. But they may not do it until they optimize the OS to take advantage of it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Optimize the OS to use the chip to the full potential, including games, and I think it would sell well. I use my iPad more than my Macbook Pro, but that is mostly for convenience. I bought the 11 inch M1 with 1 TB, I was hoping that the 16 GB of ram would make a difference. I cannot notice the difference in day to day use. I can see Apple using a “Pro” chip in the iPad Pro and a non pro chip in non pro model iPads. But they may not do it until they optimize the OS to take advantage of it.

Apple doesn't seem interested in optimizing iPadOS for anything more that what it is. Look at how many years it took just to get Final Cut Pro.

Reactions: Digitalguy

iSteveo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2023
Apple doesn't seem interested in optimizing iPadOS for anything more that what it is. Look at how many years it took just to get Final Cut Pro.
I hear you. I’m not saying I expect an M3 Max, but it would be a heck of a machine if the OS would use the processing power. I still believe eventually though it will be higher end chips for the Pro models. Probably will not happen with the next generation, but it could. I’m not a “leaker” in any shape, form or fashion. Just what I would like to see happen.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I hear you. I’m not saying I expect an M3 Max, but it would be a heck of a machine if the OS would use the processing power. I still believe eventually though it will be higher end chips for the Pro models. Probably will not happen with the next generation, but it could. I’m not a “leaker” in any shape, form or fashion. Just what I would like to see happen.
If it used the full processing power, it would throttle due to a heat generating screen on one surface of a thin, sealed body. Even the MacBook Air has vents in the hinge.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021

Not a chance! My M1 11" is still stupidly powerful, they will never put a Max Apple chip in the iPad, it would be the most monumental waste and reduce battery life and produce a LOT of heat. They will most likely stick the M3 standard in it and just do what ever it is they do to the M chips to make them work in the iPad.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
I've seen my M1 iPP stutter occasionally on Genshin Impact even at 60 fps cap. Graphics quality isn't as good as the RTX 3060 either.

That said, I don't think the Pro or Max chips are realistic options on the iPad without active cooling.

To be fair though that game makes any chip stutter at max settings. Don't think it's optimised too well.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
But the OS *is* already optimized for the M2 chips. Games also already runs amazingly on them. You want a faster chip without any reason at all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.