Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2001
I think that we are all forgetting about the possibility of an iTablet of some sorts. Think about it. With the development of Rendevous, airport, and inkwell, i think that this all leads to the possibility of a tablet PC coming out in the next year. Granted it may not be soon, but at least sometime before 2004.

Maybe a 12.1" CD drive-less 2lb tablet running 10.2.x (or higher) would be great for around the home and for travel. You would be able to take files with you like a laptop, but without the bulk. Using Rendevous it would instantly sync with any airport network within range to share files with pc or mac.

BTW- I used Jaguar the other day to link with a PC, and it worked flawlessly. Just plugged it in, found the server, and it read the PC harddrive.

This will be my last new thread...ever. I will announce tomorrow exactly why.

It's been great kids.

-Pete

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Re: Next major NON-COMPUTER Apple Release

Originally posted by ptrauber
This will be my last new thread...ever. I will announce tomorrow exactly why.

It's been great kids.

-Pete
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
His biography lists that he is a nice guy. PM him! :rolleyes: :D

There has already been a discussion (or discussions) on sub-notebooks, and I think such an eBook would work. However, I am extremely sure that it won't happen until AT LEAST 2003 AND until the iBook gets a G4.

As for why you are leaving, Scratchy and I are completely baffled.

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    541 bytes · Views: 1,772

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Well, if he got a job with Apple and had to sign a non disclosure contract which includes discussing all things Apple, well, that might be a reason he can't post. But why tomorrow and not tell us today?

Ah, the suspense......

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
if apple can get an itablet out, running os x, by 2003, then i will be amazed...that would be great and maybe replace laptops for many mobile users out there

i would certainly get one and if it's actually lighter than 4.9 lbs, then that would be a huge plus...but keep the tablet well under two grand, please ;)

would it have optical drive and large enough hard drive? i wouldn't need any more than 32 MB video or half a gig of ram...but being in the three pound range would make it do-able as far as daily portability

one day, anything over three pounds will probably be seen as a dinosaur...remember those brick heavy cell phones?

clubsport

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2002
Has he said why he won't ever start a new thread again yet?

Also, if he wanted to say that, wouldn't he start a new thread anyway...:confused:

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
Tablet yes.
I think people forget that all of the discussion of the dimensions fo a TiBook make it appear very portable. Like obsession over an extea 1/4" thichness. But if you add in the peripherals you schlepp around and you really need that dedicated laptop case. Then that 1/4" or even 2 inches really does not matter.
I think a "hiptop" or "tablet" form really can be marketed as a laptop subsitute to complement a good desktop. My old newton 2100 did 90% of my desktop functions and man was it easy to throw into a backpack/shoulderbag/eurof-g carry all/briefcase.
It is astonishing that Apple does not even have a sub-notebook.
It would certainly be something extra i would buy.
John
anxiously awaiting my new17" iMac

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i would love an apple cell phone with an internal internet surfing pda

i just got my first cell, nokia, and it's pretty nice...compared to the three pound brick i had more than ten years ago which was a dollar a minute:D

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
It couldnt be named an eBook, because e stands for education, and if all students in Maine have iBooks, then they will feel bad :D. Apple would call it something without the work 'book' in it.

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
I sure hope it will be an apple cellphone. I can sure use a good working/designed phone.
I tried everything. Nothing lasts. c'mon apple!
1 that lasts longer than 5 months please. :)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>(beez7777) hmm, its been a while now, what happened to ptrauber?:confused:

He signed a letter to Apple about a non-disclosure agreement. You won't seem him posting here legally, unless it's in the Community discussion and NOT about Apple.

>(scem0) It couldnt be named an eBook, because e stands for education, and if all students in Maine have iBooks, then they will feel bad :D.

At least I won't have to worry for another year. :p

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by King Cobra
>(beez7777) hmm, its been a while now, what happened to ptrauber?:confused:

He signed a letter to Apple about a non-disclosure agreement. You won't seem him posting here legally, unless it's in the Community discussion and NOT about Apple.

>(scem0) It couldnt be named an eBook, because e stands for education, and if all students in Maine have iBooks, then they will feel bad :D.

At least I won't have to worry for another year. :p

i am a network techie and i could trace his ip and see if he's here...not

i would never do that anymore than i would steal a food from a homeless man or a poodle from an old lady

i am sure he is taking some time off, i wouldn't think apple would have brought him on just that quick

i congratulate him and hope he will help apple move forward which the company desparately needs to do

good luck, ptrauber:D

stefbystef

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2002
Germany
Apple needs a wide appealing device like the iPod. Nobody wants to have the coolest TV, Radio, Sound System.

But Everybody seems to want to have the coolest Computer, Mp3 Player, and Mobile Phone. It's the best time for Apple to enter the Mobile Phone Marked.

I was so disappointed from all the phones that I had (never tried the T68i) that I would be glad to get an Apple made phone. I know it won't disappoint me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.