Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
As an owner of iPad's and the Nexus 7 I can confirm the complaints regarding the N7's build quality. It's average to decent but it comes nowhere close to that of the iPad line. That's just in a different league.

I had to exchange several Nexus 7 tablets do to screen lift but tbh I never had the creaking sound some have experienced. I finally after 4 tries got a GOOD Nexus 7 and have been quite happy with it.

Those that have issues with the cheap rubber backing, I find that a HUGE plus. You can't scratch the back case like you can with other tablets that use metal covers. Also the rubber back cover has a nice grip feel to it so it's easier to hold without the fear it will slip out of your hands.

Another plus to the overall design of the Nexus 7 is that it was built like an oversized cellphone so you can pop off the back cover and replace the battery if you want.

There have been articles written as to why the N7 was assembled and designed the way it was. If the reports are true, Google was selling the Nexus 7 at cost and gambling it would be widely accepted. They also gambled that the initial price point would encourage people to buy it. Well it worked. I'm sure mfg cost have come down but Google did not know if they had a hit or a flop on their hands.

Sure the Nexus 7 doesn't look and feel like the premium build of an iPad but put in perspective the Nexus 7 build quality could have been much worse. :p

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I was actually mostly fine with the N7's build quality- mine had a little bit of screen lifting along the left edge of the screen, but it was nothing dire. I quite liked the materials- the textured back felt great in the hand. The only things I had against it hardware-wise were the lack of a physical button(s) on the face (personal preference) and the screen, both its aspect ratio (would prefer at least real 16:10 on a tablet that small, not 16:10 with a black bar eating up screen space 90% of the time) and how washed out it was.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I was actually mostly fine with the N7's build quality- mine had a little bit of screen lifting along the left edge of the screen, but it was nothing dire. I quite liked the materials- the textured back felt great in the hand. The only things I had against it hardware-wise were the lack of a physical button(s) on the face (personal preference) and the screen, both its aspect ratio (would prefer at least real 16:10 on a tablet that small, not 16:10 with a black bar eating up screen space 90% of the time) and how washed out it was.

+100% all that for me. I don't know how anyone could consider the amount of screen that gets eaten up by that bar in landscape mode even remotely reasonable -- why not just keep it stuck to the end?

For me, if the next Nexus 7 kept it's width along with increasing the screen size by expanding it into the side bezel space, and trimmed the length by at least 1/2" to make it "cargo pocketable", I'd be real interested. The construction quality is ... adequate. It also needs some performance boost to get it up to iOS levels -- only the best Android devices seem to do that.

Edit: ... and decent quality backside camera of course ...

Just checked the measurements again, and make that at least 3/4" that it needs to be shortened by. I'd be fine with it if they made it a bit wider. Just give me a more adult aspect ratio that doesn't get ruined by the button bar. I actually like the three onscreen buttons -- just not the damage they do in landscape mode.

Last edited:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have both and yes the N7 is a bit heavier but it isnt like it is heavy that it makes it hard to hold.

The ONLY thing id like to N7 to have that the Mini doesnt is a back camera but there is an App you can get to make the front camera take pictures but you have to have the front of the tablet facing your subject.

The N7 also has NFC where the Mini does not.

I dont have a problem with build quality and like the back and that is has a good grip on the N7 while the Mini does look nicer overall. However, it dont really matter since both are now in a case like This

And then there is this:

16GB Nexus 7: $199
16GB iPad mini: $329
Price difference: $130

32GB Nexus 7: $249
32GB iPad mini: $429
Price difference: $180

32GB Nexus 7 (Wi-Fi + cellular): $299
32GB iPad mini (Wi-Fi + cellular): $559
Price difference: $260

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
For me the N7 is what it is. A cheap tablet that does 90% of what I want for 40% less money than the iPad Mini.

Overall I’ve been pleased. It runs most of the apps I want and is great to watch movies on. The rubber back and gorilla glass makes it durable enough to throw into a laptop bag or coat pocket without obsessing over scratches or damage. The size is just about perfect.

The 10% it’s missing for me include certain tablet apps. And as much as it feels like a cliché to say…there is a certain profound ‘lagginess’ to it. Whether it’s the slow scroll, the common ‘X app isn’t responding Wait/Ignore/ etc’ or the keyboard not seeming as responsive/accurate.

I bought a N7 when Apple announced the Mini was going to be $329 and not have Retina. I knew a Retina version would be released within a year and I wasn’t going to pay for both versions. (yes, I know I could sell the original Mini and apply the proceeds to the Retina Mini…it was the principle).

I probably would have sucked it up for $279 or maybe even $299. Instead I decided to roll the dice with the N7. While I don’t regret my purchase, I will likely get a Retina Mini when it comes out.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
For me the N7 is what it is. A cheap tablet that does 90% of what I want for 40% less money than the iPad Mini.

Overall I’ve been pleased. It runs most of the apps I want and is great to watch movies on. The rubber back and gorilla glass makes it durable enough to throw into a laptop bag or coat pocket without obsessing over scratches or damage. The size is just about perfect.

The 10% it’s missing for me include certain tablet apps. And as much as it feels like a cliché to say…there is a certain profound ‘lagginess’ to it. Whether it’s the slow scroll, the common ‘X app isn’t responding Wait/Ignore/ etc’ or the keyboard not seeming as responsive/accurate.

I bought a N7 when Apple announced the Mini was going to be $329 and not have Retina. I knew a Retina version would be released within a year and I wasn’t going to pay for both versions. (yes, I know I could sell the original Mini and apply the proceeds to the Retina Mini…it was the principle).

I probably would have sucked it up for $279 or maybe even $299. Instead I decided to roll the dice with the N7. While I don’t regret my purchase, I will likely get a Retina Mini when it comes out.

That could have been written by me, down to the last sentence.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
It also needs some performance boost to get it up to iOS levels -- only the best Android devices seem to do that.

And as much as it feels like a cliché to say…there is a certain profound ‘lagginess’ to it. Whether it’s the slow scroll, the common ‘X app isn’t responding Wait/Ignore/ etc’ or the keyboard not seeming as responsive/accurate.
That's exactly what drove me insane about mine, I couldn't believe a flagship tablet released in 2012 would perform so badly, yet the N7 did. After reading a lot of reviews that stated how good JB's performance was, how the N7 was lag-free etc, I thought it was going to be super, super smooth, instead scrolling was choppy and jerky and lag pervaded everything.

They should be looking to make the performance as good as they possibly can before bumping the specs, the N7's performance just isn't good enough. I hope the 7.7 is a lot better for all those who get it.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
:eek:

Looks over functionality? There is still not yet an Android tablet that can be passed as usuable in my opinion. Stutter, stutter, frame drop, more stutter and did I mention stutter.

Not to mention the build quality of all Android tablets being akin to those used by toddlers but why is it taking so long for Android tablets to use retina level screens.

The build quality of the Nexus 7 is appalling and am amazed at the frequent positive reviews for this device.

Yes you dont need to worry about scratches but you should worry that people do mistake you for a 5 yr old.

I dislike IOS but in the Tablet space, there is yet NO true competition to the ipad. I hope the Xperia Z tablet can change this because the Nexus 10 couldnt.

People are entitled to their own opinion but have you actually used a nexus 7 for more than a week?
I find it fantastic and I've had it for nearly 2 months. I can do everything an ipad does plus I can use it as a is drive to put films on without syncing, I can plug in a USB drive for more storage and I can plug in my USB midi keyboard and use my nexus as a synth when I'm with the band. Build quality seems fine to me and I prefer the plastic over metal.
Yeah its not 'retina' but I don't want higher resolution at the moment, this is fine for me.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
People are entitled to their own opinion but have you actually used a nexus 7 for more than a week?
I find it fantastic and I've had it for nearly 2 months. I can do everything an ipad does plus I can use it as a is drive to put films on without syncing, I can plug in a USB drive for more storage and I can plug in my USB midi keyboard and use my nexus as a synth when I'm with the band. Build quality seems fine to me and I prefer the plastic over metal.
Yeah its not 'retina' but I don't want higher resolution at the moment, this is fine for me.

*edit* wrong thread.

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

Uh, no it can't. Try to natively sync iCloud calendars and contacts. Let me know when you can do it. iOS can natively sync Google calendars, contacts, and email. Why can't Android. Sure it has widgets, but that crap's eye candy. And yes, I have a Nexus 7.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
K
Uh, no it can't. Try to natively sync iCloud calendars and contacts. Let me know when you can do it. iOS can natively sync Google calendars, contacts, and email. Why can't Android. Sure it has widgets, but that crap's eye candy. And yes, I have a Nexus 7.

You do know that Apple moved from an accepted standard for calendar and contact syncing to their own standard when they dumped Mobile me and moved to I cloud right? This is why Apple can sync to others using the industry standard but others can't to Apple. There are apps that will do it for you on Android. My calendar and contacts are in perfect sync between my N7 and my Apple devices all automatically with no action from me. So YES you can sync them if you really want.

This is the same change that broke the cal sync in Outlook for Mac.

As for email that syncs perfectly right out of the box zero issues. Four email accounts across my Mac, iPhone and N7 all in sync zero issues.

As for widgets how about email, calendar, to do, magazines and books and settings just to name a few. Far from eye candy I can do things in a single swipe that would take six to ten clicks and home button double taps on iOS.

You may own an N7 but you clearly do not know how to use it. But yeah blame the OS for your lack of understanding. This is why the simplified way of Apple telling people what's best for them works for so many, people have forgotten how to think for themselves.

Last edited:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

I'm pretty sure the lack of iCloud syncing is because of Apple, not Google. Apple has never really supported their services on third party devices.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
K

You do know that Apple moved from an accepted standard for calendar and contact syncing to their own standard when they dumped Mobile me and moved to I cloud right? This is why Apple can sync to others using the industry standard but others can't to Apple. There are apps that will do it for you on Android. My calendar and contacts are in perfect sync between my N7 and my Apple devices all automatically with no action from me. So YES you can sync them if you really want.

As for email that syncs perfectly right out of the box zero issues. Four email accounts across my Mac, iPhone and N7 all in sync zero issues.

As for widgets how about email, calendar, to do, magazines and books and settings just to name a few. Far from eye candy I can do things in a single swipe that would take six to ten clicks and home button double taps on iOS.

You may own an N7 but you clearly do not know how to use it. But yeah blame the OS for your lack of understanding. This is why the simplified way of Apple telling people what's best for them works for so many, people have forgotten how to think for themselves.

6 to 10 clicks to read a book? So ONE SWIPE gets you reading a book, even if that widget is two screens over from where you are? Really? One swipe huh?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I didn't say read a book did I? Read my post. With one swipe, just one swipe I can see all my new email, what events and to do or reminder or lists I have coming in the next week or two, the weather, the covers of my newest magazines and more with just one swipe. You cannot do that in iOS period.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012

Why would you blame Google for iCloud not working on your Android device?

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
My thin iPad mini with two cameras and great battery life seems to fly in the face of your argument.

While I agree that if Google can find some space savings a larger battery may be beneficial. I see many people using their iPads in place of cameras so having a rear camera is a plus imo

Okay. The camera argument. You totally have a point there.
I carry my phone (8mp) with me pretty much everywhere. I have my DSLR I carry with me most weekends wherever I go, I have my 1080p video camera i take with me more specifically when I need it. So my tablet not having a rear facing camera is such a draw back. How can I possibly take my instergram pictures?!

----------

Haha, that's why the Nexus 7 doesn't have two cameras, because Apple chose looks over functionality?

See previous reply.

----------

*edit* wrong thread.

No it was a reply which went wrong - sorry.

----------

K

Fantastic reply, well written and thought though. Couldnt have sait it better myself.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So my tablet not having a rear facing camera is such a draw back. How can I possibly take my instergram pictures?!
For you its not a drawback, but most people don't own a DLSR, nevermind carry it around all weekend, the same with a 1080p video camera. My point is that there are other tablets that can put two cameras into the tablet without really impacting the form factor. Its a nice feature, if that feature isn't important to you great but I've seen many people use their tablets at places like DisneyWorld. Personally I wouldn't but clearly they're using a feature that's important to them. The next Nexus would benefit from such an addition.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Does the mini have a flash on the rear facing camera? That's my gripe with iPads, every time I goto use it I need to grab my iPhone to actually take a decent pic. I'd rather the tablet not have it and cost less.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
For you its not a drawback, but most people don't own a DLSR, nevermind carry it around all weekend, the same with a 1080p video camera. My point is that there are other tablets that can put two cameras into the tablet without really impacting the form factor. Its a nice feature, if that feature isn't important to you great but I've seen many people use their tablets at places like DisneyWorld. Personally I wouldn't but clearly they're using a feature that's important to them. The next Nexus would benefit from such an addition.

Okay that's a good argument actually, I guess some people would use it and seeing something so big used as a camera would spread the product awareness too. I personally have never seen anyone use a tablet as a camera and if I ever did I'd probably take it from them and snap it in half. You have to be a moron or plain stupid to use a tablet as a camera.

Just because I can buy a swiss army knife which has 300 different tools on it, doesn't make the swiss army knife with 12 of the use full tools on it any less useful..

I appreciate not carrying around a DSLR but before my DSLR I carried a small point and shoot with me everywhere I went.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I actually saw someone taking a picture with their iPad this past weekend.

Normally I wouldn't say anything except they were on this beach:
FB_Winthrop_Beach.jpg

I'd rather not be walking near here with my iPad with the weather being like this.

Note, this isn't my picture nor was it taken from an iPad ;)

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
P.... plus I can use it as a is drive to put films on without syncing, I can plug in a USB drive for more storage ...

I thought you have to root the device to be able to use USB?

I've had one since October and I thought that was required. No desire to root it, I don't have the time or desire since it is pretty near perfect for what I use it for. But I could travel with more movies if I don't have to root. Have a 15 hour plane flight coming up.

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I thought you have to root the device to be able to use USB?

I've had one since October and I thought that was required. No desire to root it, I don't have the time or desire since it is pretty near perfect for what I use it for. But I could travel with more movies if I don't have to root. Have a 15 hour plane flight coming up.

There is an app called nexus importer (something like that.. I would check but the Mrs is borrowing it at the moment) and it let's you without rooting. I have a flight coming up soon which is why I bought a 32 GB USB stick and USB on the go. You can use heatshrink to bend the cables up so they go behind the tablet and out of the way.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
There is an app called nexus importer (something like that.. I would check but the same Mrs. is borrowing it at the moment) and it let's you without rooting. I have a flight coming up soon which is why I bought a 32 GB USB stick and USB on the go. You can use heatshrink to bend the cables up so they go behind the tablet and out of the way.

Thank you is that Nexus media importer? I have them loaded on my Nexus 7 but I only thought it did pictures

I'll check it out thanks for the information.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
My thin iPad mini with two cameras and great battery life seems to fly in the face of your argument.

While I agree that if Google can find some space savings a larger battery may be beneficial. I see many people using their iPads in place of cameras so having a rear camera is a plus imo

I was over at Ft. Rucker and on graduation day for the flight students, family got to go over on part of the airfield and look at the AH-64D's and OH-58's. The mom taking pictures with her 10 inch iPad was a sight and very interesting.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yay, pixels!

Am I the only one getting seriously tired of everyone just throwing out higher res screens and better hardware to cope with the new resolution and calling it an upgrade?

This isn't a dig at Google, more how once one person does something the rest all follow suit immediately afterwards. It's annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.