Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robert996

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2013
The new Nexus 7 (2013) device has a defect where the GPS will lose the location fix after a period time, usually about 30 minutes to an hour, and cannot be restored without a shutdown/restart cycle, but the problem remains. Apparently, this applies to all new Nexus 7 (2013) devices and Google has not provided an ETA of a fix. Check the following links for users with this problem, even after returning N7, the new N7 tablets they've received also have the same problem.

I really like my new N7 but this GPS problem is very aggravating.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/mobile/android-devices/prfUDZA7M2s

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2013/300566-gps-problems-nexus-7-2013-a.html

Markdek

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2012
Yes, I have the Nexus 7 2013, and I have this issue, like every owner has, but they may not know it yet. Thanks for spreading concerns about this issue so that we may get a response/fix from Google faster.

This has been a big disappointment for me considering this is my 1st move to Android and Google for hardware. And yes, I have Apple products too and now I'm well versed in both universes.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I have to believe it's software related. The new Google Maps update, honestly, seems a bit off. It doesn't always keep up with your location and it, indeed, does lose tracking here and there, but gains it back when you turn on your screen. I've almost missed a turn or two while using navigation on my One.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There is a thread on xda with it working after some disabling and perhaps some other things that need to be done.

I have not tried it and it may only be a fix temporary and not happening with all folks but take a look see over there as far as progress made.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.