Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
If there is a 8GB, ive never seen one for sale anywhere. We have two 16GB first gens and a 8GB wasnt available...not that id want one. Choices were 16 and 32GB.
Maybe they had them in Googles store?

it was discontinued for the 16 and 32gb versions.

I picked it up off ebay

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I gave my old 8GB to my parents after I got a 32GB 1st gen - no difference except for the memory (and cellular, in my case).

That said, understand that 8GB is pretty minimal - especially since a reasonable chunk of it is used by the OS and essential apps. It's usable, but not if you intend to store much media on it directly.

You can root it and add USB OTG support easily, and that works, although it's awkward.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I gave my old 8GB to my parents after I got a 32GB 1st gen - no difference except for the memory (and cellular, in my case).

That said, understand that 8GB is pretty minimal - especially since a reasonable chunk of it is used by the OS and essential apps. It's usable, but not if you intend to store much media on it directly.

You can root it and add USB OTG support easily, and that works, although it's awkward.

For someone that just uses it to read books and surf the net, facebook and pinterest type apps. Its perfect!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
For someone that just uses it to read books and surf the net, facebook and pinterest type apps. Its perfect!

I do think that the storage itself in the 16gb and 32gb models is much faster which was responsible for some lag on the 8gb models. It may be fixed now though that 4.3 has enabled fstrim. Not 100% sure though.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere.
Even if it isn't a lot faster, the 8GB was more than fast enough for the apps you mentioned. I only mentioned the minimal user-available storage in case you intended to keep a lot of media on it, in which case the $129 nook HD with micro SD slot would be better unless you really need the god-awful camera on the N7 (I love the N7, but the camera - especially on last year's model - is mediocre at best).

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Even if it isn't a lot faster, the 8GB was more than fast enough for the apps you mentioned. I only mentioned the minimal user-available storage in case you intended to keep a lot of media on it, in which case the $129 nook HD with micro SD slot would be better unless you really need the god-awful camera on the N7 (I love the N7, but the camera - especially on last year's model - is mediocre at best).

The problem is, I don't think the 8gb used is going to be significantly cheaper than the 16gb. You might as well find a 16gb model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.