Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Of course it is. Apple could develope an aluminum and glass crap bag holder for camping trips and those sites would give it rave write ups "the stink stays in the box", "if you gotta carry your poop, might as well carry it in style", "much nicer than a plastic bag" and then Tim Cook would say "isn't this crap holder cool, the way the bevel on the lid meets the top, its amazing isn't it", "we hold 30% more crap than a plastic bag"...and then when a site like this takes just the best points and posts them, what else do you expect.

The iPad 2 was a nice device with warts compared to the iPad 3, the mini is an iPad 2 but smaller and lighter, so, it stands to reason it is a decent device. Worth $130 more than a Nexus 7, no way IMHO. Shame really as with Apple products you used to not have to compromise, pay more/get more...not anymore.

Stop invoking that argument. The reviewers are unbiased, they don't only favor Apple products.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Stop invoking that argument. The reviewers are unbiased, they don't only favor Apple products.

I do not beleive I used the word "biased" in my comment at all, did I? If so, please quote me. What I said was, Apple can make anything and people will praise it; and I also said that places that summarize those articles will do so to best serve its readers as such, pick out all the positive highlights.

Tell me where I said anyone or any place was biased.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
There can be a lot of screen real estate wastage on the N7 so that is something to take into account. I'm very tempted to try Cyanogenmod 10 on my N7 to utilise the feature they just added to remove the status and soft buttons on demand (taken from the Paranoid Android ROM).

I use Dolphin and Xscope as my browsers as they both have full screen mode which fixes the landscape issue nicely. Love my Nexus 7 and love Jellybean even more. I can set it up to work just like ios with app icons all over the homescreens or with widgets to give it that android flavor.

Lubo

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I was debating getting the Mini or a Nexus 7, I went ahead yesterday and ordered the Nexus 7, So cheap and outstanding reviews, I will have a 15 day return policy so it's all good. ;)

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
While I have a nexus 7 I use it as a radio/nav for my car I bought a mini to be my productivity device as I am better served by iOS apps

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I do not beleive I used the word "biased" in my comment at all, did I? If so, please quote me. What I said was, Apple can make anything and people will praise it; and I also said that places that summarize those articles will do so to best serve its readers as such, pick out all the positive highlights.

Tell me where I said anyone or any place was biased.

Come on, man. You didn't explicitly say bias, but it all read that way. You said the review sites would praise essentially any Apple product regardless of how foolish it is, and that they only highlight the positives of the device.

emma777

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
India, New delhi
I think size should be another thing. The nexus 7 is as wide as i can hold comfortably, and is a centimeter and a half less wide, that's a big difference with mini.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I find in portrait mode the Nexus 7 displays more than our iPad 2 (thanks to the additional length) but the sftware buttons and bars can really get in the way in ladscape (see the last screenshot).

I'd wish that Google would remove the status bar at least when Chrome was running or (even better) allow a full screen mode like they did with the AOSP browser and enable the thumb controls.

There can be a lot of screen real estate wastage on the N7 so that is something to take into account. I'm very tempted to try Cyanogenmod 10 on my N7 to utilise the feature they just added to remove the status and soft buttons on demand (taken from the Paranoid Android ROM).

Why not use Paranoid Android which combines the nav bar and the status bar? It lets you use your Nexus 7 tablet with a tablet UI. I'm not sure how CM10 is on the N7 but I use it on my GS3.

2012-10-31 06.21.46.png

Lubo

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I was debating getting the Mini or a Nexus 7, I went ahead yesterday and ordered the Nexus 7, So cheap and outstanding reviews, I will have a 15 day return policy so it's all good. ;)

I totally Retract my good statements on the Nexus 7, I recieved mines 5 hours ago and it's allready packed up ready to send back, it's garbage, Sluggish, Pages don't load fast enough on the browser, And it's less responsive than IOS, Massive dissapointment for me, Will never be buying android again. :eek:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I totally Retract my good statements on the Nexus 7, I recieved mines 5 hours ago and it's allready packed up ready to send back, it's garbage, Sluggish, Pages don't load fast enough on the browser, And it's less responsive than IOS, Massive dissapointment for me, Will never be buying android again. :eek:

Gotcha! All the good reviews were just a trick we were all playing on you to inconvenience you!! At least you gave it a shot and used it for a while...lol

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

Sorry but your unit was defective because it is far from sluggish and the browser is far from slow.

Lubo

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Sorry but your unit was defective because it is far from sluggish and the browser is far from slow.

I'm not trolling and it's not defective, Stop trying to convince people it's a good Tablet i fell into that trap and it won't be happening again.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Apple today clarified that the iPad Mini does have stereo speakers.

I'm kind of wondering how much good the stereo speakers will do, seeing how they are on the same side when holding the iPad in landscape. So if you are watching a movie, sound will still be coming from one side of the tablet.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm kind of wondering how much good the stereo speakers will do, seeing how they are on the same side when holding the iPad in landscape. So if you are watching a movie, sound will still be coming from one side of the tablet.

Valid point.

I guess same can be said of the Nexus 7 speakers. They're stereo too, but together in one bar on the back.

Nexus 10 seems to have stereo speakers separated left/right and in the front.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
I'm not trolling and it's not defective, Stop trying to convince people it's a good Tablet i fell into that trap and it won't be happening again.

Yea because everyone is having so many problems with their N7 and all the reviews are lies and part of a trap... :rolleyes:

Enjoy your new Apple product though.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Yea because everyone is having so many problems with their N7 and all the reviews are lies and part of a trap... :rolleyes:

I'm having trouble getting a good working N7. :(

The first one had a spec of dust trapped under the screen and the second one has the infamous screen lift. Going back to Office Depot tomorrow for a third one. If I get another defective one I may go Mini.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm having trouble getting a good working N7. :(

The first one had a spec of dust trapped under the screen and the second one has the infamous screen lift. Going back to Office Depot tomorrow for a third one. If I get another defective one I may go Mini.

Could be that batch that Office Depot got? Who knows. Good luck.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Anyone who starts a post with "I'm not trolling" even though no one said they were are actually trolling. Just ignore them. I don't have one but have used one and it was great. I'm going to jump on the N10.

Lubo

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012

What apple product?

----------

Anyone who starts a post with "I'm not trolling" even though no one said they were are actually trolling. Just ignore them. I don't have one but have used one and it was great. I'm going to jump on the N10.

He edited the post.. :rolleyes:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Obvious troll is obvious. Your unit is defective, my nexus 7 flogs the crap out of my ipad 2 when it comes to browser speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.