Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
A friend wants to buy a tablet for a Christmas gift and wants a recommendation between the Nexus and Kindle (can't talk him into an iPad).

He wants to get a 32Gb one so which would be the best to get between the two ?

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
As a user of both devices in addition to ipads, my vote would be for the Nexus 7 as the better choice. Mainly because your friend would not be tied so exclusively to the Amazon eco system. There is more freedom with a regular tablet that you do not have with the Fire, Nook etc. The other choice which would be better still would be the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with it's micro SD card slot.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Both nice but it really depends which ecosystem he wants to invest in.

Last edited:

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I have the Kindle (don't have the Nexus). The questions I would ask are:
1). Is he planning on using it for anything except reading and Amazon videos?
2). Is he an Amazon Prime member?

Unless the answer to both is yes, then the Nexus would be the best choice. While I really like my new Kindle I have found that it's not the best for much else except reading and Prime videos. I really bought it because with the Kindle you can actually download the instant video (great for trips), and 'borrow' Kindle books. But browsing is a bit of a pain and you can't really personalize it much. And the few games I tried are stripped down. There is very little user control. For me it's pretty much perfect for the uses I bought it for. For everything else I just use my new iPad Air.

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
I have both and have not found anything the HDX won't do that I can do with my Nexus 7, all the same apps that I use are available on both. I'm not sure that the Nexus holds any advantage as the HDX seems to have a nicer display and the battery that lasts a little longer at least from from my experience. I would advise to buy the tablet that he can get the best deal on!!

Regards...Ed

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
As a user of both devices in addition to ipads, my vote would be for the Nexus 7 as the better choice. Mainly because your friend would not be tied so exclusively to the Amazon eco system. There is more freedom with a regular tablet that you do not have with the Fire, Nook etc. The other choice which would be better still would be the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with it's micro SD card slot.

^^^ This !

I own iPad's N7's and Kindle Fire HD. I only recommend the Kindle Fire HD/HDX to anyone only if you love Amazon and just want a device that opens to their store front. The Kindle Fire tablets are very limited in what they do.

Even though the HDX has better specs than the 2nd gen N7, it's a wash because the HDX is running the ForeOS which is pretty crappy and sometimes very buggy and tends to bog down the hardware.

The N7 runs vanilla Kit Kat and allows access to the Google ecosystem.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

The galaxy tab 3 has a MUCH SLOWER processor and doesn't run vanilla android.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
A friend wants to buy a tablet for a Christmas gift and wants a recommendation between the Nexus and Kindle (can't talk him into an iPad).

He wants to get a 32Gb one so which would be the best to get between the two ?

I made a video about this on my YouTube channel.

Basically, if you want to be tied into the Amazon ecosystem, and have your Prime service with you all the time, the Kindle is an awesome tablet. It's fast, and the screen is beautiful.

The Nexus is also a great device, but it's much more customizable. Of course it runs pure Android so you can do basically anything you want. The screen is even with the HDX IMO, and they are both plenty powerful.

It really comes down to Amazon ecosystem, or pure Android.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The amazon ecosystem has come a long way. The biggest selling points for the Kindle Fire tablets are:

1) e-reader

2) Amazon Prime - Free (TV Shows, Movies, Book Rentals)

3) Free daily apps and when they give away numerous free apps during the holidays.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
It's more than getting the best deal. As others have said if he only wants the amazon eco system then fine but he should understand that he won't get gmail, play store, youtube etc on the Kindle without some trickery.

I have both and have not found anything the HDX won't do that I can do with my Nexus 7, all the same apps that I use are available on both. I'm not sure that the Nexus holds any advantage as the HDX seems to have a nicer display and the battery that lasts a little longer at least from from my experience. I would advise to buy the tablet that he can get the best deal on!!

Regards...Ed

EdwardC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2012
Georgia
"It's more than getting the best deal. As others have said if he only wants the amazon eco system then fine but he should understand that he won't get gmail, play store, youtube etc on the Kindle without some trickery."

I don't understand this comment.....G-Mail is supported with the mail app and You Tube is supported with the included You Tube app which is already pre loaded. Yes you don't get the Google Play Store but get the Amazon equivalent. If there is an app that is not in the Amazon store it can be side loaded quite easily. I still say go with the best deal.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I have the Kindle (don't have the Nexus). The questions I would ask are:
1). Is he planning on using it for anything except reading and Amazon videos?
2). Is he an Amazon Prime member?

Unless the answer to both is yes, then the Nexus would be the best choice. While I really like my new Kindle I have found that it's not the best for much else except reading and Prime videos. I really bought it because with the Kindle you can actually download the instant video (great for trips), and 'borrow' Kindle books. But browsing is a bit of a pain and you can't really personalize it much. And the few games I tried are stripped down. There is very little user control. For me it's pretty much perfect for the uses I bought it for. For everything else I just use my new iPad Air.

Even if the answer to both is yes, he can just downoad the Adobe APK and use a browser that supports flash like Dolphin browser and he can watch Amazon instant/prime videos (I'm an AP member).

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Even if the answer to both is yes, he can just downoad the Adobe APK and use a browser that supports flash like Dolphin browser and he can watch Amazon instant/prime videos (I'm an AP member).

It's doable (I have a Nexus 7 myself) but nowhere near as good an experience. For one thing, I've yet to hit the fullscreen button without Flash crashing. The picture quality's great but the stability's just not there since Adobe withdrew support for Android. :(

I only hope that now that Amazon can tout offline downloads as exclusive to the Fire they might be more willing to release on the Play Store. It's pretty galling not to have it when the Fire is Android based.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I debated this same thing as a gift for a child. The main thing was access to the play store (I know I can sideload it). I wanted her to have access to my play movies and I do have amazon prime, but prime video can be accessed with a different browser. Overall, it just made more sense to get the n7.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Question to fellow modders: if you put cyanogenmod on both which would you prefer?

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
The amazon ecosystem has come a long way. The biggest selling points for the Kindle Fire tablets are:

1) e-reader

2) Amazon Prime - Free (TV Shows, Movies, Book Rentals)

3) Free daily apps and when they give away numerous free apps during the holidays.

I'm not familiar with Primes relationship with the HDX. Do you get these features only if you are a prime member or does an HDX come with these features?

I am not tied to either store (play or amazon) but I do love my kindle paperwhite. I have had iOS products since day one and I feel ready to jump on one of these for trips. I would use it for movies, web surfing, YouTube, photo library and email. Other than that, games here and there.

Side note, how's the durability on both? I'm a Marine and tough products are a bonus.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not familiar with Primes relationship with the HDX. Do you get these features only if you are a prime member or does an HDX come with these features?

I am not tied to either store (play or amazon) but I do love my kindle paperwhite. I have had iOS products since day one and I feel ready to jump on one of these for trips. I would use it for movies, web surfing, YouTube, photo library and email. Other than that, games here and there.

Side note, how's the durability on both? I'm a Marine and tough products are a bonus.

you only get the prime features if you have amazon prime ($79.99 annually, but includes instant video which is like netflix and free 2 days shipping). I would say you would definitely want a case if you are hard on your products.....neither will survive big falls undamaged.

DavidMc

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
I just gave my oldest son a 7" Fire HD (current gen) for his Birthday last month. The biggest reason I gave that to him over a device like the Nexus 7 was price and the Amazon ecosystem in regards to Kindle since he already had one of our old e readers. However, after setting it up for him I have learned I despise their UI and would never want one for me. My wife's iPad 2 is getting long in the tooth and I was thinking an 8.9 HDX but I don't think she would enjoy that UI. Other than that, it is a good device... it's just not for me

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Office Depot has the 16gb Nexus 7 on sale right now for 179.99. If you purchase in store, they'll throw in a $20 gift card making the tablet $160. I had some unused store credit so decided to pick one up. $130 out the door. :D

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Office Depot has the 16gb Nexus 7 on sale right now for 179.99. If you purchase in store, they'll throw in a $20 gift card making the tablet $160. I had some unused store credit so decided to pick one up. $130 out the door. :D

Bummer, the store rep told me the gift card was only for future purchases, no biggie though it was still a sweet deal. I paid $194 out that door.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.