Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like you get exactly what you pay for.
You do, which is why so many people are extremely upset here in the iPad forum because of light leak and yellow screens.

A 200 dollar tablet, is certainly going to have a cheaper display panel. I'm not sure how significant the problem is.

I will say while apple's iPad is more expensive, you generally have a good solid well built product. Complaints of the this:
When you look at it from the side you can see the glass sticking up a bit and when you push it back down you can hear the adhesive grab on then it lets go. I haven't even had it for 12 hours yet."

is a little more disconcerting however.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

That is the most ******** comment I've read so far this morning and I've been trolling PRSI.

"You get what you pay for." Seriously? Do you realize the markup on Apple's iPad (which I own) is high and yet there were, are, and continue to be quality control issues? Complaints of customer service issues also exist. Tell me exactly the logic of getting what you pay for.

Hopefully this sub-forum doesn't turn into a ******** ground for fanboys.

Now, notwithstanding, there seem to be some issues but I am not sure how wide spread they are. If there is a cheaper panel being used then I'd like to know the panel. I know not all panels are created equally.

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
I had two nexus 7s one from google play store the other from GameStop. both had the left edge screen separation issue. While I understand apple has quality control issues of its own, I don't think it's nearly as pervasive as the problems affecting the nexus. Apple has a huge ass market with a lot of users. There simply havent been that many preorders and gamestops to purchase the nexus 7 from. Yet the problems seem very widespread.

----------

That is the most ******** comment I've read so far this morning and I've been trolling PRSI.

"You get what you pay for." Seriously? Do you realize the markup on Apple's iPad (which I own) is high and yet there were, are, and continue to be quality control issues? Complaints of customer service issues also exist. Tell me exactly the logic of getting what you pay for.

Now, notwithstanding, there seem to be some issues but I am not sure how wide spread they are. If there is a cheaper panel being used then I'd like to know the panel. I know not all panels are created equally.
I found your post pretty obnoxious. I spent 40 minutes with google play store trying to return the nexus 7 only to be told someone will email me, I'm still waiting for this email. Customer service is night and day between apple and google, and guess what that is still part of the user experience. you can't just look at pure manufacturing costs.

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
I've had one 8gb from google play and a 16gb from PC world. Both are ok.

Think this is the same as everything, you only hear complaints, there will be thousands that at fine.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I had two nexus 7s one from google play store the other from GameStop. both had the left edge screen separation issue. While I understand apple has quality control issues of its own, I don't think it's nearly as pervasive as the problems affecting the nexus. Apple has a huge ass market with a lot of users. There simply havent been that many preorders and gamestops to purchase the nexus 7 from. Yet the problems seem very widespread.

----------

I found your post pretty obnoxious. I spent 40 minutes with google play store trying to return the nexus 7 only to be told someone will email me, I'm still waiting for this email. Customer service is night and day between apple and google, and guess what that is still part of the user experience. you can't just look at pure manufacturing costs.
Obnoxious is an interesting word to use and clearly shows your annoyance is misdirected as I'm not the source of your problem. Customer Service with Google has problems but so does Apple. I wasn't looking on pure manufacturing costs but it does have a very big role here.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

Wow, nice obnoxious post!

Google was so worried about a 7" iPad beating them to market they forgot to let the glue dry, lol.

They've suspended sales of the 16GB Model citing incredible demand, or maybe they have a screen/adhesive issue to solve.

My screen seems fine, I still think the Nexus 7 sucks just the same. If it was Apple's product I'd say the same thing if it rendered font's and showed websites, pdf's etc as the Nexus does now. Steve Job's nailed it with his comments on a 7" tablet that's for sure, but I had to try one out first to understand what he really meant.

My Android phone with it's large screen is much prefered over using the Nexus 7, I love tablets but in the 10" size.

Only reason I rant about it is because I think the price and sexy size for the average consumer will perhaps make them buy it over a 10" tablet, resulting in them never getting the "premium experience" you get from a 10" tablet with average use. For example, surfing, emailing, use of App's that just work better on a larger 10" screen. But that's just one opinion out of 7 billion possible :)

Last edited:

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Don't you remember the many many problems the 21 and 27 iMac had when they were released, like the yellow screen? Or the signal problems antennagate with the iPhone 4? Or the bad battery life of the 4S?

Just shut up.

Apple was pretty much off my radar until the iPhone 4 release, so no I don't remember the 21 and 27 inch iMac problems. I definitely remember the completely overblown antenna issue on the iPhone 4. An issue, nonetheless, but people were smart enough to realize that it wasn't really a big deal.

The issues I'm hearing about the Nexus 7 are much more than small problems. Screens popping off, becoming completely unresponsive, phantom typing, etc. are all things that Apple would get skewered over, and the Nexus 7 should too.

Unfortunately, Google seems to always be given a pass on bad design. The Nexus 7 is making a lot of headlines, and probably still will for the next few days, so learn to deal with the bad press too. It comes with the territory and in most cases it's well deserved.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
It was a big enough deal for Apple to issue free bumpers at not a small cost to themselves.

Free bumpers was a drop in the bucket to Apple compared to what it would cost to re-tool the whole setup. And they did apologize for the whole thing in their own way, but in later weeks also made sure everyone knew that it really wasn't leading to an increase in dropped calls and was their highest selling phone ever.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I respectfully disagree, it was a big problem, admitted by Apple by the introduction of the bumpers. If you have a link to where they made sure that everyone knew that it didn't lead to dropped calls I would appreciate it.

No argument that it was their biggest seller so far, I myself bought one and didn't suffer from the loss of signal, many did though.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I respectfully disagree, it was a big problem, admitted by Apple by the introduction of the bumpers. If you have a link to where they made sure that everyone knew that it didn't lead to dropped calls I would appreciate it.

No argument that it was their biggest seller so far, I myself bought one and didn't suffer from the loss of signal, many did though.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/apple-iphone-4-drops-less-than-one-additional-call-per-100-tha/

There were more dropped calls in the stats for the iPhone 4, but the amount was negligible.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/824940/

140 pages of people complaining about the quality of a 1700$ premium quality computer.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1101370/

Black Spots/Smudges/Dust

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1341622/

yellow tint also in the iPad!!!

Every company has problems. Acting like Apple is GOD and all their products are fantastic with zero-problems is... fanboy?

I don't care about Apple or Google or Microsoft, but you make it look like one is perfect and the others awful. Get real. Problems are everywhere.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Oh look, my iPad 2 has light bleed.

They must all be bad! I guess I got what I paid for.....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-23-21-33-01-1.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-23-21-33-01-1.png
    519.1 KB · Views: 185

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/apple-iphone-4-drops-less-than-one-additional-call-per-100-tha/

There were more dropped calls in the stats for the iPhone 4, but the amount was negligible.

I don't want to labour the subject, I had a iPhone 4 and 4S, neither dropped calls, well as far as I can tell they didn't, both were, and still are superb phones, I won't hear any argument about that fact. My point being was that there was a problem with the dropped calls, Apple would not have issued bumpers out of goodness, they knew there was a problem, to their credit, they did act and they did make good. The link you gave was from Endgadget, not Apple.

Looking back on our posts, I think that we are very close to each others opinion and really going back and forth on a triviality. I have an iPad 1, the only tablets IMHO that are better, are the iPad 2 and the latest iPad, no other manufacturer, again IMHO, has got close. I don't bother looking at the competition, that is probably a mistake, I know.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Does it make you feel insecure that they put a alternatives to iDevices on your favorite mac site? Cause thats what it seems like.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You know there were hundreds of complaints about light bleeding on iPads on this very forum, right?

And the 3G and 3GS. No product is perfect. They do the best they can with the cheap labor they have on the assembly line in China. At least the Nexus7 is only $249 while Apples 16GB is $499.

Just sayin

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Love my Nexus7 and my iPad 3rd gen. No screen issues on either fir me.

Nexus is SO light and portable. Wish it had 4G! I'd be happy to pay extra for it! Maybe next years version!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Nexus 7 Display Stumbles and Falls Short of iPad

Interesting critical review of the Nexus 7 display.

The Nexus 7 Display Stumbles and Falls Short both figuratively and literally.

http://gizmodo.com/5928597/the-google-nexus-7-display-stumbles-and-falls-short

The Google Nexus 7 is the first of the second generation 7 inch Tablets out of the gate. and it sure looks like it could be a winner. The published display specs look pretty good, and some of the basic Lab measurements also look pretty good. But just like in Triple Crown races, an important but overlooked issue can spoil the outcome.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
The Nexus 7's screen has a resolution of 1280x800 pixels and uses LED-backlit IPS LCD technology. This ensures absolutely rock-solid viewing angles no matter how much you tilt the tablet, and also grants decent colour, brightness and contrast levels. IPS panels can't quite match Super AMOLED displays when it comes to sheer vibrancy, but they tend to present a more accurate representation of colour, and don't suffer from the tinting effects which impact some AMOLED screens. While the Nexus 7's screen doesn't match the eye-popping 2048x1536 resolution of Apple's third-generation iPad, the smaller size ensures this isn't a massive problem.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-google-nexus-7-review

The highlight for us is the 7in screen which uses a backlit in-plane switching (IPS) panel with a resolution of 1280 x 800. The display has excellent contrast, brightness and viewing angles. The level of detail is high thanks to the 1280 x 800 resolution giving a pixel density of 216ppi. This is higher than the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) which costs more.

We found the screen good for browsing the web, playing games but even more so for watching films and other video content.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/tablets/3366292/google-nexus-7-android-tablet-review/

The Nexus 7 boasts a 1280 x 800 LCD display that’s covered with "Corning glass," which I assume means Gorilla Glass. The screen is 216 ppi if you’re keeping count — and it shows. Text and images look crisp and clear on the 7-inch screen — not Retina display quality, but not too far off either. Colors on the screen looked a bit washed out when compared to the Super AMOLED of the Galaxy Nexus, but I’ll chalk that up to the exaggerated saturation of that phone’s screen. Next to the new iPad, things looked a little more balanced.

Viewing angles were surprisingly good too, though I don’t spend a lot of time looking at the screen off-center. For those of you that do, fear not.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/29/3125396/google-nexus-7-review

In fact this is a tablet that is ruthlessly functional – its screen is excellent (1280x800 is passable HD)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9409016/Google-Nexus-7-review.html

I've read enough good reviews to lay down the £199 required to buy myself a Nexus 7.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Ipad's had yellow tint due to adhesive drying issues, tons of dead pixel issues and a crap load of screens with light bleed. My own I pads and iMac's have minor light bleed. I don't consider them cheap or garbage because of these issues.
But I almost always look at my product in store before buying to ensure it functions as it should. I I were to get the Nexus 7, this is what I would do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.