Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well I did not think the Pixel was worth it over the 6p so I did not even try it and the ip7 Plus even less. Maybe next go round I'd be more likely to do so with either.

Just sayin.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Well I did not think the Pixel was worth it over the 6p so I did not even try it and the ip7 Plus even less. Maybe next go round I'd be more likely to do so with either.

Just sayin.

Year-on-year marginal gains means it's more about want rather than need for a 12-month upgrade cycle.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
This is actually a great thread! And I agree with what some others have stated that, typically, this forum is pretty unbiased. I think it's probably because a lot of us are junkies and like a wide variety of mobile OSes.

I've been trying to force myself to switch from iOS to Android for about 4 months and just have not been able to pull the trigger. My main issues with iOS are pretty much what TB has said: the notifications are a giant cluster and the lack of even the most trivial of customization. But I'm not sure if it's worth it to switch, because aside from that, I'm pretty happy with Apple and know I have a great support system with them.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
This is actually a great thread! And I agree with what some others have stated that, typically, this forum is pretty unbiased. I think it's probably because a lot of us are junkies and like a wide variety of mobile OSes.

I've been trying to force myself to switch from iOS to Android for about 4 months and just have not been able to pull the trigger. My main issues with iOS are pretty much what TB has said: the notifications are a giant cluster and the lack of even the most trivial of customization. But I'm not sure if it's worth it to switch, because aside from that, I'm pretty happy with Apple and know I have a great support system with them.

I think the biggest reason people switch (folks like us, anyway) is that we're bored. The problem is both OS's are so closely matched now it's really not a panacea one way or the other. I notice little differences that draw me back to iOS but never anything that's a giant dealbreaker (for instance: I notice pairing my bose wireless headphones to iPhone was pretty seamless, whereas on the Pixel it was a giant pain. Then once paired, the Pixel would drop sound and sync constantly. Conversely, using WhatsApp on iOS flat out sucks compared to Android's version. The UI on iOS is clunky.)

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I think the biggest reason people switch (folks like us, anyway) is that we're bored. The problem is both OS's are so closely matched now it's really not a panacea one way or the other. I notice little differences that draw me back to iOS but never anything that's a giant dealbreaker (for instance: I notice pairing my bose wireless headphones to iPhone was pretty seamless, whereas on the Pixel it was a giant pain. Then once paired, the Pixel would drop sound and sync constantly. Conversely, using WhatsApp on iOS flat out sucks compared to Android's version. The UI on iOS is clunky.)

Great point. Having a Nexus 6P running the latest and greatest Android 7.1.1, I thought a Pixel XL as great as that phone is, would not be a night and day upgrade. Yes the hardware is obviously better, but the day in day out use of the phone, both the Pixel and 6P would look and behave 99% to each other.

I was in the mood to shake things up, try something really different. And this Silver iPhone 7 Plus has been a breath of fresh air, it truly is different than stock Android.

Do I love this 7 Plus phone like it's the best thing ever made ? No. But I felt the same way with my Nexus 6P, I liked it a lot, but even last year before the Pixel was even announced I thought the 6P was great, but not the be all end all of smartphones.

I really do not think that "perfect" smartphone exists, and not sure there ever will be one ? What would make this iPhone 7 Plus "perfect" to me ? Adding a LED Notification light. Totally revamp the way Notifications work in iOS 10. And add some basic form of customization like themes the Samsung Galaxy phones offer. If Apple did all of that for the iPhone 8, and kept all the other great things, like the superb battery life, smooth OS feel, and waterproofing, It could become the "perfect" phone. But that's not gonna happen.

Same with the Pixel, for it to be "perfect" to me, they need to add waterproofing, put a larger battery in there, fix the wakelock Play Store background issues that are known battery drainers, put an even better brighter display in there, like what the Note 7 had. Fix the sync'ing issues Android has known to have issues with like Bluetooth. Put the damn phone on all the same carriers you can buy an iPhone and Samsung Galaxy phone, if you truly are serious about competing with the big guys, stop the exclusive one carrier only crap. Will Google do all of that for the Pixel 2 ? Maybe, but not all of it.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Google could build a near perfect device at volume but I doubt they're going to do it because their modus operandi is growing the ecosystem at the expense of the competition but not against their partners so very much like Microsoft's desktop approach. Google are relying on their partners to build that near perfect device and there's the issue of what is that near perfect device since everyone has different requirements. Mine are Galaxy Note and Surface type devices on one end and devices that do ~80% at a fraction of the cost on the other end. Ideally Galaxy Note hardware plus Pixel software, unlocked bootloader and carrier for a fraction of the cost but I'm dreaming a bit. Perhaps that's why both Google mobile and Microsoft desktop ecosystems dominate because of the broad spectrum of choices.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Conspiracy theory here, tinfoil hat time. What if the Pixel actually was selling very well on Verizon from Oct - Dec. which I think it was, and now it's out of stock. But what if the big guys like Samsung and LG got pissed they had competition from Google directly, and viewed this Pixel phone as a threat, and maybe they made a stink about it ?

That also begs the question, maybe Google didn't originally allow the Pixel phones to be on all U.S. carriers for a reason, knowing if it got real popular and was a success, it might dent into the sales of the big Android players like Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc... And then a **** storm would brew up.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Conspiracy theory here, tinfoil hat time. What if the Pixel actually was selling very well on Verizon from Oct - Dec. which I think it was, and now it's out of stock. But what if the big guys like Samsung and LG got pissed they had competition from Google directly, and viewed this Pixel phone as a threat, and maybe they made a stink about it ?

That also begs the question, maybe Google didn't originally allow the Pixel phones to be on all U.S. carriers for a reason, knowing if it got real popular and was a success, it might dent into the sales of the big Android players like Samsung, LG, Motorola, etc... And then a **** storm would brew up.
If thats the case they are free to make their own mobile OS.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
New Nexus devices have always generated demand but the difference I see with the Pixel is wider public adoption on an international scale whereas previous Nexus devices were more domestic and country specific enthusiasts. The fact that enthusiasts like Zorachus (aka TB) haven't adopted it means Google's partner have nothing to worry about yet.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Zorachus ? Who or what the heck is that ? :) lol [H]

Anyways...ask me as of January 3rd, 2017 what's the best Android phone to get now ? The Pixel XL and small Pixel hands down no question, are the best Android phones today.

Would I recommend the Pixel to my family and friends ? No

Why not ? because it is only available on one carrier, and 99.99% of all my family and all my friends get their phones through contract upgrades. Out of 100 people I may know, maybe 20 of them are on Verizon, the 80 are mostly on ATT #1, then Sprint, and T-Mobile. I can only think of one or two people out of hundred that would pay full retail price for a smartphone, 98 out of 100 get their phones when they have a upgrade available.

And most of my family and a lot of my friends have very good careers, making well into the six figure income, meaning they can easily afford to throw down $800 on a phone if they so desired. But I have asked them that over the years, and they all LOL'd saying not a chance never ever will pay full price for their phone.

So I will believe Google is serious about the Pixel, when it's in stores sold through ATT, Sprint, and T-Mobile as well as Verizon. And actually in stock available to purchase and walk out the store with. Not something you need to order and wait 4 to 6 weeks to come in, months after it was officially released.

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Zorachus ? Who or what the heck is that ? :) lol [H]

Anyways...ask me as of January 3rd, 2017 what's the best Android phone to get now ? The Pixel XL and small Pixel hands down no question, are the best Android phones today.

Would I recommend the Pixel to my family and friends ? No

Why not ? because it is only available on one carrier, and 99.99% of all my family and all my friends get their phones through contract upgrades. Out of 100 people I may know, maybe 20 of them are on Verizon, the 80 are mostly on ATT #1, then Sprint, and T-Mobile. I can only think of one or two people out of hundred that would pay full retail price for a smartphone, 98 out of 100 get their phones when they have a upgrade available.

And most of my family and a lot of my friends have very good careers, making well into the six figure income, meaning they can easily afford to throw down $800 on a phone if they so desired. But I have asked them that over the years, and they all LOL'd saying not a chance never ever will pay full price for their phone.

So I will believe Google is serious about the Pixel, when it's in stores sold through ATT, Sprint, and T-Mobile as well as Verizon.

Exactly. Paying full price when people are used to not having to see that much cash flow out at once? Probably not. You'd have to be either a tech junkie (I know a lot online but in real life, none) or just really want that particular device. We went from contracts to monthly payments on devices. Until there is like a huge discount on service to BYOD, it won't become really feasible to buy outright.

fmharris

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2017
Yep, agree. Ending up downloading a Free app called YouMail for voicemail and it's been great. Can do a lot of cool stuff and customization.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id308331524
[doublepost=1483648743][/doublepost]
Your line isn't provisioned for iPhone visual voicemail. Call the carrier to activate, but be warned you cannot swap back and forth between iPhone visual voicemail and another. If you stick your sim into your Android phone and start using that visual voicemail, you'll have to call the carrier to provision iPhone visual voicemail again.

Hey, just posted a comment about YouMail, a free visual voicemail app. Works great, plus you can do a lot of customization too.

Reactions: widgeteer

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yep, agree. Ending up downloading a Free app called YouMail for voicemail and it's been great. Can do a lot of cool stuff and customization.

Hey, just posted a comment about YouMail, a free visual voicemail app. Works great, plus you can do a lot of customization too.
You can do similar things with Google Voice and various other services.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If you're going to use two phones, I would recommend the iPhone SE and a flagship Android device. The SE is an-all rounded little guy while the flagship Android can fill your quench for high end specs. Unless you need 3D Touch, a bigger screen, or use iOS as a daily driver, then the S8, Pixel XL, LG G6, etc should be on your radar.

Reactions: timeconsumer

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I'm familiar but I don't get a lot of phone calls so I don't care about maintaining visual vm over both phones. I think currently the iPhone is set up with it, don't even remember.

I found the biggest pain switching between platforms was iMessage. So I turned it off. It took a while but even group chats with iPHone users is fine now.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The best thing about the iPhone over Android phones is the Apple Watch. Amazingly seemless and with great app integration. Although the design could be better and lack of 3rd party watch faces is disappointing.

Reactions: tbayrgs and spriter

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
The best thing about the iPhone over Android phones is the Apple Watch. Amazingly seemless and with great app integration. Although the design could be better and lack of 3rd party watch faces is disappointing.

Could not agree more.

It's never going to happen but if they opened it up to Android devices...

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Update after having my 7 Plus for a few weeks now, compared to being on Android mostly the past 5 + years, specifically Nexus phones or flagships running CM ROM's;

- iMessage, I really don't get what all the fuss is about ? I am not impressed. I mean I guess it works well enough, but don't see the big deal, it's just another text messaging app IMO. But actually I really don't like how it works, or maybe it's just the crappy way iOS does Notifications. If I am surfing the web and get a text, and swipe it away, there's no easy way to go back to it. With Android I can just pull the notification shade down while still on the web page and reply from the drop down, and continue on with my page. Without having to close down anything.

- If I want to send a web link, I press forward, then press Message, then I have to type in the specific people again to send it to. WTF ? This is 2017, I should be able to see a list of people I normally send to, or a list of recent sents, and be able to quickly forward. Why do I have to start typing in a name first ? I much prefer Google Messenger or even Textra over iMessage.

- The phone app, it seems like a lot of presses and clicks to move around, and not so fast and better setup like stock Android's. And this isn't in style or speed wise, I mean the Google phone app just is easier and much quicker to navigate calls and contacts.

- But everything else I do like on the iPhone. The battery life is off the charts amazing, great. Blows my Nexus 6P out of the water for battery, no comparison. The speakers are loud and clear on the 7 Plus very impressive. The overall smoothness of the OS is just SMOOTH, and very constantly smooth ALWAYS. Where Android can be warp speed super fast, and much faster than iOS, but with Android every once in awhile I'd get a 1/2 second micro stutter, or little hiccup here and there, but I have yet to see that on the 7 Plus.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Update after having my 7 Plus for a few weeks now, compared to being on Android mostly the past 5 + years, specifically Nexus phones or flagships running CM ROM's;

- iMessage, I really don't get what all the fuss is about ? I am not impressed. I mean I guess it works well enough, but don't see the big deal, it's just another text messaging app IMO. But actually I really don't like how it works, or maybe it's just the crappy way iOS does Notifications. If I am surfing the web and get a text, and swipe it away, there's no easy way to go back to it. With Android I can just pull the notification shade down while still on the web page and reply from the drop down, and continue on with my page. Without having to close down anything.

- If I want to send a web link, I press forward, then press Message, then I have to type in the specific people again to send it to. WTF ? This is 2017, I should be able to see a list of people I normally send to, or a list of recent sents, and be able to quickly forward. Why do I have to start typing in a name first ? I much prefer Google Messenger or even Textra over iMessage.

- The phone app, it seems like a lot of presses and clicks to move around, and not so fast and better setup like stock Android's. And this isn't in style or speed wise, I mean the Google phone app just is easier and much quicker to navigate calls and contacts.

- But everything else I do like on the iPhone. The battery life is off the charts amazing, great. Blows my Nexus 6P out of the water for battery, no comparison. The speakers are loud and clear on the 7 Plus very impressive. The overall smoothness of the OS is just SMOOTH, and very constantly smooth ALWAYS. Where Android can be warp speed super fast, and much faster than iOS, but with Android every once in awhile I'd get a 1/2 second micro stutter, or little hiccup here and there, but I have yet to see that on the 7 Plus.
When you swipe away the message it's still there in the notification pane.

Reactions: Fille84

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The lack of an actual back button is something that was quite hard to get accustomed too. It got to the point where I was tapping the bottom right corner of the phone as that is where the capacitive back button was on my S7 Edge.

After a month or so, I got used to sliding from the left edge as the back gesture and it has now become almost second nature although I still tap the bottom expecting the back button to appear as I swap between the 7 Plus and S6 occasionally.

There is also a 3D Touch gesture that you can activate by pressing on the very left edge of the screen which will activate the multitasking window and allow you to switch apps with ease.

Overall, the switch to the 7 Plus went better than expected but there is numerous questionable iOS design decisions that I can't wrap my head around.

I'm also still slightly annoyed that Google Photos is unable to back up my photos on its own even while charging since iOS restricts all background processes. I literally have to remember to open Google Photos every couple days in order to ensure my photos get backed up. The restriction of background processes is done to conserve battery life, if you're connected to a charger, there is no reason you shouldn't allow an app to conduct a back up. It works the way I would expect it to for iCloud but unfortunately I'm more invested in the Google ecosystem and don't plan to switch over.

That last point is why I switched to iCloud Photo Library. It uploads seamlessly in the background and you don't have to remember to open an app.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
tbayrgs, thanks for the kind reply :) I also only come to this specific section on MacRumors, I never visit the home page, and never go in the main iPhone threads, only here, and also the Jailbreak threads a bit to check the status on the upcoming stable JB release :)

Everyone here in the Alternatives sections is really cool, well most people are

Anyways...the older I've gotten, I tried to be more open minded, and not a fanboy of anything. So I have been pleasantry surprised by my liking of the iPhone 7 Plus, more than expected. I am also somewhat interested in Microsoft's plans to possibly release a 'Surface Pro Phone' this year. I am no Windows Phone fan, but the possibility of a Surface phone is very intriguing;

This phone really looks like a desktop computer shrunk down to the size of a 7 Plus or Note 7 phone;

The HP Elite x3 has peaked my interest in the Surface Phone. It's a great start, IMO.

More OEMs should start toying with a similar idea when it comes to W10.

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
That last point is why I switched to iCloud Photo Library. It uploads seamlessly in the background and you don't have to remember to open an app.

The issue I have with iCloud Photo Library is that I highly dislike the way it is implemented. I can either have low res previews downloaded to my phone and the rest in the cloud or have every single image saved to my device essentially killing all my storage. This also then transfers to my iPad meaning I lose a lot of storage on my iPad as well. With Google Photos, I simply install the app and all my images are there, easy to access and no worrying about storage being used.

Also, I have way too many photos that I would need to be paying for at minimum 200GB of iCloud storage a month just to keep all of them in the cloud. I already have 1TB of OneDrive storage where I have the majority of my photos backed up. The only real benefit of iCloud Photo Library is the automatic uploading but too me, the pros don't outweigh the cons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.