Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filbert42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
Hi all,

the NFC function in my iPhone 7 seems to have failed. Applepay has stopped working and it won’t see NFC tags I’ve tried it with (Tags that work on another phone). I’ve tried reset all settings on the phone and it hasn’t helped.

I can’t find any reports of this being a common problem - has anyone else had any similar? Is it an easy repair?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Did you ever get this resolved?
Ever since the Dec update Apple Pay stopped working for me

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Hi all,

the NFC function in my iPhone 7 seems to have failed. Applepay has stopped working and it won’t see NFC tags I’ve tried it with (Tags that work on another phone). I’ve tried reset all settings on the phone and it hasn’t helped.

I can’t find any reports of this being a common problem - has anyone else had any similar? Is it an easy repair?

Possible hardware problem, loose screw or water damage according to iFixit.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I have a pro 11 so it’s a brand new phone. im hoping it’s software as it happened after the last iOS update

filbert42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
Did you ever get this resolved?
Ever since the Dec update Apple Pay stopped working for me
I am still on 12.4.1, I have avoided going to iOS 13 because of all the reports of issues.

I haven’t made any progress, I’m currently waiting for a response from the retailer as it’s less than a year old.
[automerge]1579126025[/automerge]
Possible hardware problem, loose screw or water damage according to iFixit.
Thanks for the link. Pretty sure there’s no water damage, and I’m pretty sure it’s a hardware issue but I’m not about to take the back off to check for loose connections....

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I have a an 11 pro, no water damage, ios 13. Apple support resorted to 'setup as new' which is frustrating as even with a full backup, there is a hell of a lot of setup to test if this works or not. Why doesn't the diagnostic report if the NFC chip is working or not?

filbert42

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2014
Worcestershire, UK
I have a an 11 pro, no water damage, ios 13. Apple support resorted to 'setup as new' which is frustrating as even with a full backup, there is a hell of a lot of setup to test if this works or not. Why doesn't the diagnostic report if the NFC chip is working or not?
I don't want to try 'set up' as that would force me onto iOS 13 and I don't want to try that until I'm more confident that the bugs have been squashed - I don't think it's there yet, from what I read.

But.... did it fix the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.