Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
So, let me get straight to the point. This is my setup:
  • Powerline adapters (PLA) from main router to room router. Circa 200Mbps measured.
  • Sony Bravia with Android TV (wired to room router. Capped at 100Mbps)
  • Apple TV 4K (ATV 4K. Wired to room router)
  • MacBook Pro 13" with macOS Sierra (latest updates)
And this is the issue: With UPnP (DLNA) and webDAV (via this app) the performances are fine when I stream movies to either the ATV 4K or my TV. Unfortunately the webDAV app crashes when streaming via Infuse Pro on ATV 4K. Via WiFi it's slower (it connects to the main router) but it works fine with high bitrate 4K videos.

Protocols like NFS, SSH, SMB instead are a pain. They are enough for 4K streaming when both the ATV 4k and MBP are wired (the connection is 1Gbps since the room router acts like an Ethernet hub)). But streaming to the TV they are not enough, about 1/3 of what i get via UPnP/webDAV, getting buffering.

Via WiFi ac at about 290Mbps, same thing. Constant buffering. I do understand that via WiFi the packets must go from the MBP to the main router and back to the room router via PLA, but that's also true for UPnP/webDAV. Why there is so much difference?

Also, about NFS, how could I force the NFS v4 (if possible)? Should I get any benefit? This is my /etc/exports file:
Code:
/Volumes/1TB\ HFS+ -mapall=Michele -ro -network 192.168.1.0 -mask 255.255.255.0

Any better configuration? Thanks for any input!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.