Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
I'm considering instead of Dropbox or iCloud, pay for my own hosted server with 10TB of storage and put either an NFS or an SMB server on it (or both) and just use that as my cloud storage. The hosting site will do backups. As a third level thing, I could also push it off up to Dropbox.

The reason for this is sometimes I need to search through all of my data looking for something and I can ssh into the remote server and search the data.

To make this work well, I'd like the macOS client side to have a configurable cache where I could at least configure the size of the cache. With a local 4TB disk, I could give 1TB to the cache to manage. In theory, I think 99% of the accesses would hit the cache and it would act much like a local file system most of the time.

So... finally my question: is there a way to either configure the NFS or SMB cache on the native macOS implementations or is there a NFS or SMB client implementation I can purchase where it is configurable. NFS I know comes in different versions and I would assume the same is true for SMB. That would be another nice thing that I'd like to be configurable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.