Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thevessels

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 6, 2004
hey i really need a decent scanner to scan in textures , and other random crap to use in photoshop for colors and all that stuff .
im not lookin for much , but i do like a good brand name , epson ? canon ?
which would you recommend ..

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
thevessels said:
hey i really need a decent scanner to scan in textures , and other random crap to use in photoshop for colors and all that stuff .

I use an inepensive Canan LiDE 25, about $50, and it works great. One of the most important issues with scanners is the software that it ships with. Several years ago Canon was not shipping OS X native software and I hated the OS 9 software so I returned the unit.

Last December I bought my current unit which is now fully OS X native and the software is excellent. I use the scanner more than I ever thought that I would because of the software versatility.

The LiDE 25 is a good basic scanner -- and cheap too. I think I found it on Amazon.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
If accurate color is important to you go with an Epson or mid range Canon.
if you just need to scan stuff any scanner that works with OS X will do.
I swear by Epson scanners I am on my 5th one and it does everything I need it to do...

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
just make sure the scanner uses USB 2.0 or firewire. you won't believe it but there are still usb 1.1 scanners out there. and it's not always obvious from the parcel.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've got a Canon LIDE 80 that has power over USB 2.0 and there are even universal binary drivers for it! it's a great scanner and can do very high quality though it takes forever to do like 1600 dpi :p it's good stuff though. i like the photoshop plugin ScanGear CS :)

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I have an Epson 2400 and I love it, no complaints at all. And does slides as well. Much better than some of the more expensive scanners I've used in the past.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I agree a LOT with the Canon LiDe series. I had to make a decision when getting 75 scanners for our district, and tested a few models out. The Canon needed no power brick, and the native software worked flawlessly with Photoshop/Imageready, etc. Never locks up, pretty speedy, and the scans are excellent. Plus the price... ah the price. For one of our other projects they wanted a $1,000 scanner using Firewire, so I bought it. Guess what? The Canon outperforms it on most evey feature except perhaps multi-scans at incredibly high settings.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Back in October '05 I bought a Canon CanoScan8400F scanner and it's been the best scanner I've used yet (that's under the $200-$300 range). I think Amazon has this on sale now for about $119 I think :cool: Anyway it works great with old pictures and what I need it for the most is my drawings/sketches to go to PSE3 or Flash 8.
Good luck and enjoy your pick :)

XNine

macrumors 68040
I also recommend getting a Canon LiDE sereis scanner. I have a 30, and at the tiem I bought it, it was 150 bucks. It's a little slow with its age.

I also recommend getting the VueScan application. It gives a TON of options for scanning that regular drivers do not, and it's very good with pencil/ink images as well as color.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
thevessels said:

Look at the Epson web site. They sell refurbished scanners at 2/3 to 1/2 price. I recently bought an Epson 4870. It has both firewire and USB2 interfaces. You want the fast interfaces. The 4870 is overkill for scanning paper but you may need to do film in the future. This scanner has the "digital ICE" feature built-in. This was developed by Kodak and licensed to the various scanner makers. It is _very_ good at removing dust and scratches. ICe requires some extra hardwar inside the scanner (A second infrared lamp and IR color channel) so yu don't find ICE on the typical $50 low-end units. It's worth paying for this feature

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.