Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will it fix the dreaded yellow screens?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 96.9%

• Total voters

imtom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
As the title says, will the night shift allow you to colour correct the screen to your liking? I found that my iPad Air has a yellow hue to it already, so it would look disastrous to make it even more warmer.
I often found myself JB the device and using colour profiles app to correct it, so was wondering if night shift is apples fix for the dreaded yellow screen?
I've seen videos demonstrating the device getting warmer, but I've not seen results that could turn the device cooler, and fix a already yellow hued screen. Or does 9.3 completely recalibrate the screen to more blue, that will fix the yellow hue without having to slide the nightshirt mode to cooler?

Poontaco

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2014
Unless they change the way it works in future Beta's, it definitely only works in one direction. You can NOT make your screen bluer than default.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Unfortunately not. When you turn Nightshift on, it reduced the blue point. You can then change the hue to your liking, but it does not make the overall screen cooler. I turned it on and shifted it all the way to blue, but it was still more "yellow" than with it just off.

I was really optimistic when I saw the screenshots, but nope, doesn't help change the overall tint.

My iPhone is a tad too yellow for my taste, and my iPad Air 2 is a tad too blue for my taste, was hoping I can make both of them the same color temp and get a nice middle ground.

imtom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Unless they change the way it works in future Beta's, it definitely only works in one direction. You can NOT make your screen bluer than default.

Thanks, it's a shame they don't offer it yet. I imagine countless trips to the Genius Bar would be saved if they offered it.
[doublepost=1452705801][/doublepost]
Unfortunately not. When you turn Nightshift on, it reduced the blue point. You can then change the hue to your liking, but it does not make the overall screen cooler. I turned it on and shifted it all the way to blue, but it was still more "yellow" than with it just off.

I was really optimistic when I saw the screenshots, but nope, doesn't help change the overall tint.

My iPhone is a tad too yellow for my taste, and my iPad Air 2 is a tad too blue for my taste, was hoping I can make both of them the same color temp and get a nice middle ground.
That's what I've been hoping for, hopefully in future betas they allow it!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Based on screenshots of the available options it seemed like the slider can go either way.
Yes, and that was why I was so hopeful. But in order to activate the slider you have to turn on "reduce blue point" which automatically makes the screen warmer. But as you try to adjust that warmer screen all the way to the cool side, it is still slightly warmer than with "reduce blue point" completely off.

Reactions: VSMacOne

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
this has really upset me as when i saw you can make it bluer and better whites it was like a dream come true but why would i wanna make my screen any more yellower how hard is it for them to make u change screen temp it annoys me so much 4 ipads and all yellow and every apple store has pure white screen why is that so???

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
It should also be noted that the option is not actually called night shift... It's called blue light reduction.... The word night shift was used in the release notes... However it's not called that in the settings

jtwlbz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2014
From my experiece, if you screen is too yellow by default i would replace device or display cause i had several 6s+ only one unit had too yellow display.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Man, I can't stand it. I *hate* the yellow hue I get from screens in Apple devices.

I just return and buy a new device until I get a screen that is to my liking.
I went through 6 iPhone 6 until I found a couple I liked.

And I make sure I state the reason for the return. I hope they wake up, I have seen this being an issue over the last years in virtually all of the Apple product line-up, except for the Apple Watch.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
this has really upset me as when i saw you can make it bluer and better whites it was like a dream come true but why would i wanna make my screen any more yellower how hard is it for them to make u change screen temp it annoys me so much 4 ipads and all yellow and every apple store has pure white screen why is that so???

You're upset that a feature designed to make it easier on your eyes to read at night isn't fixing a display problem you have with your device? o_O

imtom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2014
Well here's hoping that in future betas the slider works both ways. I found that when using colour profiles on JB to a cooler display, I could have the screen slightly dimmer during the day, thus saving on the battery.
I know it's possible as I've seen it in action. Was setting sisters iPad Air up when they first arrived and under wallpaper a slider showed similar to the cooler - warmer in the night shift section. After setting it to the cooler side it disappeared. She has what I think is a perfect screen for white balance and viewing images.
Ive never seen it since, until the 9.3 beta.
So it is possible and I just don't get what they don't do it.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
When and if they go to OLED it will have to be able to go to more blue, to compensate for the sickly dim yellow that all OLED screens eventually become.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.