Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Passante said:
Nike announced yesterday that runners using the Nike+iPod sport kit have logged over 1 million miles. As a reference, 1 million miles is long enough to circle the globe more than 40 times.

OMG, How do they know this? Is Apple and Nike tracking us while we run???? :eek:

Erm, no. People are logging on to their website (nikeplus) and uploading their data. :D

achie25

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
I would like to get some nike+ shoes but they don't come in size 16 :mad:
and I doubt I can squeeze into a 15 :(

Oh well. It would be nice if they came in men's sizes :D

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
achie25 said:
I would like to get some nike+ shoes but they don't come in size 16 :mad:
and I doubt I can squeeze into a 15 :(

Oh well. It would be nice if they came in men's sizes :D

They do come in men's sizes...
...now sasquatch on the other hand :eek:

PretendPCuser

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Northern, NJ
meandyou said:
or even that $9 gadget.
Just take out the insoles of your running shoes, put the sensor underneath (or in a little ziploc bag) and you're off.
Works great in my un-ipod-Nikes and other shoes.

But you don't need no stinkin' Nike shoes.
I love mine! Makes me wanna run.

Do you have to buy the Nike shoes to get the sensor, or is the sensor something that you can buy elsewhere?

If not, you may not need the shoes, but you have to buy them for the sensor. :D

L

Lau

PretendPCuser said:
Do you have to buy the Nike shoes to get the sensor, or is the sensor something that you can buy elsewhere?

If not, you may not need the shoes, but you have to buy them for the sensor. :D

No, the sensor comes with the bit you plug into your iPod as the kit. The Nike + shoes just have a little hole in them for the sensor. :D

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Lau said:
No, the sensor comes with the bit you plug into your iPod as the kit. The Nike + shoes just have a little hole in them for the sensor. :D

The hole in the Nike+ shoe is handy, but there are lots of work arounds, if Nike shoes don't suit your feet or you already have a pair of running Shoes.

I've managed to fit mine by making a small incision at the base of the underside of the tongue of my trainer, and slipping the sensor in there. Tested it this morning and it works perfectly.

A quick google search will find you lots of other alternatives.

Very important to have it in the right side up though, or it may misread your distance...

L

Lau

mouchoir said:
The hole in the Nike+ shoe is handy, but there are lots of work arounds, if Nike shoes don't suit your feet or you already have a pair of running Shoes.

I've managed to fit mine by making a small incision at the base of the underside of the tongue of my trainer, and slipping the sensor in there. Tested it this morning and it works perfectly.

A quick google search will find you lots of other alternatives.

Very important to have it in the right side up though, or it may misread your distance...

Heh, no, I know — my feet are like ducks feet so there's no way I'm wearing pointy Nikes. :p

I was just trying to point out (possibly a bit unclearly) to PretendPCuser that all you get for your money is a little hole if you get the Nikes, as he seemed to think you might need to get them to get the sensor. I just wanted to point out that the sensor comes with the iPod dongle, and although you could get the Nikes, a pointy knife makes lots of other brands of shoes have holes in them too. :D

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Lau said:
Heh, no, I know — my feet are like ducks feet so there's no way I'm wearing pointy Nikes. :p

I was just trying to point out (possibly a bit unclearly) to PretendPCuser that all you get for your money is a little hole if you get the Nikes, as he seemed to think you might need to get them to get the sensor. I just wanted to point out that the sensor comes with the iPod dongle, and although you could get the Nikes, a pointy knife makes lots of other brands of shoes have holes in them too. :D

Sorry Lau, you were very clear! I was just trying to add my personal experiences with the sensor and non-nike+ shoes... even though I've only had it since sunday! :eek:

Still, It's made me go for two runs in four days – that's two more than in the last six months. Let's hope I can keep this new found enthusiasm...

Zimmy

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2005
Got my pair yesturday, aint got the the Nike+ kit yet.. but hopefully will have time after work today..

gonna test them on friday! whoo hoo..lol

ZIm

L

Lau

mouchoir said:
Sorry Lau, you were very clear! I was just trying to add my personal experiences with the sensor and non-nike+ shoes... even though I've only had it since sunday! :eek:

Still, It's made me go for two runs in four days – that's two more than in the last six months. Let's hope I can keep this new found enthusiasm...

Heh, sorry to have misunderstood you! :p

I didn't realise that about keeping it the right way up, so thanks for that info. I really fancy getting the Nike + kit, because I definitely think it would motivate me too. I've been crap at the moment. Glad to hear it's working for you. :D

bemylover

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
I already have an ipod, new running shoes and new and expensive GPS watch. If I did not, I would certainly buy the kit.

I can imagine how nice it is to look at the colourfull plots :rolleyes:

testtry

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
Nike announced yesterday that runners using the Nike+iPod sport kit have logged over 1 million miles. As a reference, 1 million miles is long enough to circle the globe more than 40 times.

I personally might contribute about 2 miles to the 1 mil. Tried out the ipod+nike kit at a local apple store (indiananpolis, IN). They give away a nike t-shirt but you have to do a 1-2 miles walk with them to try it out. It feels pretty good, only thing is the Nike shoes are too ugly looking. Well, they said by next year 70% of Nike shoes will be compatitable with iPod, at least that is something to look forward to.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
testtry said:

I personally might contribute about 2 miles to the 1 mil. Tried out the ipod+nike kit at a local apple store (indiananpolis, IN). They give away a nike t-shirt but you have to do a 1-2 miles walk with them to try it out. It feels pretty good, only thing is the Nike shoes are too ugly looking. Well, they said by next year 70% of Nike shoes will be compatitable with iPod, at least that is something to look forward to.

Get the sportsuit pouch you can use on any shoe. Only $10 and I didn't have to replace my NB's with ugly Nikes: http://www.marware.com/cgi-bin/WebO...catalogCatID=226&wosid=PV98vWhdLj0vT8wsvCFOBg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.