Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Otto Rehhagel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
I have been looking for a digital camera for a long time now. Just came across this ad on a "deal" website and found that "Samy's Camera" is selling a Nikon D50 with the 18-55 lens (mfg #25231) for $599 :eek:, and without any rebates. Am I reading this right?

http://www.samys.com/product.php?ItemNo=NIKO25231

Most other places sell this kit for $749-799.

Has anyone purchased from these guys? Are they reputable? They write that they are based in California and they have been around for a while, a family business.

Is this too good to be true?

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i got mine for $643 from buydig.com--a reputable retailer. i'm not sayin anything bad about samy's, as i know nothing about them. i'm just mentioning it.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
TechZone said:
The problem with the pricing search engines is that the lowest priced vendors will be interspersed with all manner of ripoff stores primarily - but not exclusively - in New York, who sell gray market, incomplete or refurbished products far below the normal price. Then they get you to call back because there is a 'problem' with your charge card, and the high pressure telesales droids roger you over with high priced 'optional' 'accessories' like the manual, the battery, the lens cap, a warranty, a set of $300 UV filters, that sort of thing. Strangely, if you insist on the only the product you ordered at the price advertised, you'll find that the product went out of stock while you were on the phone.

A reputable dealer in the lowest 10 (or even 20) prices is a rare thing.

Which is why the OP wants a dealer reputation check on Samy's, not a lower price.

Otto Rehhagel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
CanadaRAM said:

These links may seem obvious, but they are not to me. Thanks a lot for your help. From what I see, Samy's has a great deal ($599) on something that goes for $699 at B&H. They look like they have been around for 30 years and the owner's name is actually Samy (not always the case). The price is pretty low though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If it's too low to seem real, it's too low to be legitimate in some way.

Always make sure that you get a warranty that works in your area because it's not always easy to explain that you bought an item far away from its original destination and get a positive response.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Maybe a lower price - but questionable store

Abes of Maine has it (the N50 kit) for $584

http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=nkd502880k

Abes is a CNET certified store, participates in the BBB Reliability Program, is a Shopping.com trusted store, has a good bizrate rating, etc., and has a 30 day return (as opposed to B&H's 14 day - where I do buy a good deal (sometimes they are cheaper - like on the N70s body), although I've never read the Abes restrictions) - but resellerrating.com reviews are mixed. Abes states that all products have the USA warranties unless stated otherwise.

NOTE: I see that Abes doesn't have great reviews (not the worst, but pleanty of folks who didn't like Abes) on resellerratings.com

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I never would have thought DSLR kits would be this affordable so soon. At this rate, maybe I'll be able to go full frame in a few years.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Someone should start a thread for images taken with the D50... and only the D50.

Maybe do the same with other cameras as well...

I'm getting new camera fever again. All thanks to this thread.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Otto - have you ordered the D50 yet? This seems like a fantastic deal, I'm not sure I'm willing to be the first one into the water though. :)

Anyone?

My local store is selling the D50 body only for $580... then I'd get an Epson personal photo lab for free. Decisions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.