Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
I'm currently a travelling musician and am about to go on tour off the west coast all the way through the Panama Canal and then back up the east coast. My Canon A75 was recently stolen and I need to get a new camera in the next day or two (so obviously I can't do mail order). I really loved the quality of the A75 and felt that it had enough manual controls to let me play around a bit with shoots, but I didn't care for the size. I'm looking at digital cameras I can just walk out and buy (I'm in Vancouver right now), and want something that is as good as the A75, but with a smaller design that sI can slip in my pocket. The Nikon S1 is available in my hotel for $379 US, but I may take a wander and look for a better value such as the SD400. Any thoughts? Thanks!

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
I have one of the previous Canon models (S400) & love it - very compact, easy to use and takes great pictures!

Costco has the Canon SD400 for $299 (link here).

They have a location in Vancouver as well (link here).

If you're not a member, I believe there's a 5% surcharge, so it would end up being $315 (though I'm not 100% certain on the exact amount of the surcharge).

Good luck & have a great trip!

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
I am not familiar with the S1, but I am very happy with my SD400 for what it is. I've used it heavily for a few months now and have no real complaints.

2A Batterie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Out of a Suitcase, USA
Thanks for the input so far! Does anyone know how the manual controls on the SD400 compare to the A75? In other words, do I have more or less control options with the SD400 as compared to the A75?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm also in the market for a digital camera, and am looking at the canon SD line. But I've read all these horror stories online about the LCDs cracking or bleeding with minimal contact, so now I'm scared to buy one.

edit: after looking around, the most comparable option seems to be the Nikon Coolpix 5200. Like the SD series, it's small, has great image quality, and takes 640x480 30fps movies. Seems like it's about a year old, but has the features and quality of Canon's current SD line... thoughts?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
2A Batterie said:
I'm currently a travelling musician and am about to go on tour off the west coast all the way through the Panama Canal and then back up the east coast. My Canon A75 was recently stolen and I need to get a new camera in the next day or two (so obviously I can't do mail order). I really loved the quality of the A75 and felt that it had enough manual controls to let me play around a bit with shoots, but I didn't care for the size. I'm looking at digital cameras I can just walk out and buy (I'm in Vancouver right now), and want something that is as good as the A75, but with a smaller design that sI can slip in my pocket. The Nikon S1 is available in my hotel for $379 US, but I may take a wander and look for a better value such as the SD400. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I've been looking for a cheap digital camera to keep in my car... ever since that dude hung himself in my backyard. My canon camera is fantastic (g2) so I'll be picking up a Canon for sure... likely a sd400 or such.

After reading your bio, I'm going to ask a completely off-topic and random question: Do you happen to know Tom Beardslee? :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
cr2sh said:
I've been looking for a cheap digital camera to keep in my car... ever since that dude hung himself in my backyard. My canon camera is fantastic (g2) so I'll be picking up a Canon for sure... likely a sd400 or such.

I, too, have had very good experiences with canon, but apparently there is a specific and fairly common LCD defect with the SD line that wouldn't apply to any other canon experience you've had. So I'd advise caution... unless they've fixed it recently.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Nikon Coolpix cameras are garbage. I have 4 friends with them, and after only a 1.5 to 2 years, only one of their cameras are working. It IS small (although not too thin unless you get a recent or semi-recent model), and it does have lots of features, but I don't trust those things one bit. The software is also slow from my experience. Maybe the newest ones aren't this bad. I don't know.

Anyway, I'm a Canon A60 owner, and I also own an IXUS 40, which is the same as an SD300 (I believe), so I can tell you that it's great, but doesn't have ALL the manual features of my A60, and probably not the A75, either.

QCassidy352 said:
I, too, have had very good experiences with canon, but apparently there is a specific and fairly common LCD defect with the SD line...

There is? *shakes SD300*

Peter Griffin

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2005
I can't speak for Nikons since I only own the old film types. I do, however, own a Canon Powershot and from what I can tell, the build quality is superb. I have heard that the SD series has a fragile LCD so you might want to look into that before buying. Other than that, Canon all the way.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
a lot of these compact digital cams use the same or similar CCDs and LCDs and what not, bar size and mp differences, you should pretty much grab whatever one has the features you look for, and the build quality that's appropriate for your level of use.

nikon swivel designs are nice, but they'll break easier. minoltas are nice. and of course, canons are nice, with some minor LCD/CCD quality issues.

Kodak makes some good cams but they feel chintzey. The sony T5 and T7 are super nice cameras too, with great build quality. I'd look into them as well.

m

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
QCassidy352 said:
I'm also in the market for a digital camera, and am looking at the canon SD line. But I've read all these horror stories online about the LCDs cracking or bleeding with minimal contact, so now I'm scared to buy one.

edit: after looking around, the most comparable option seems to be the Nikon Coolpix 5200. Like the SD series, it's small, has great image quality, and takes 640x480 30fps movies. Seems like it's about a year old, but has the features and quality of Canon's current SD line... thoughts?

As a photo reseller, I can say that I have yet to see an SD come in for anything like that.

Another alternative to the Nikon S series and the Canon SD series, the Casio EX-S500. Very thin and stylish (available in chrome orange, light grey paint (White), and a chrome dark grey). Very quick startup, good AF speed. An easier to use movie mode (a button like what is found on the Canon S2IS).

Another favorite of mine is the Pentax Optio WP (being replaced by the Optio WPi). Waterproof down to 5 feet for 30 minutes. The WP is a great value while they last for $299. The WPi is slated for $349, and features a 6mp vs. the WP's 5mp.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Yar, me Canon PowerShot SD500 be a fine piece o'treasure, though me hearties be tellin' me that th'new SD550 be equiped w' a better screen an' a quieter movie mode.

Gar, an' me 500 be just three months old. Off we be to plunder and pillage, for the 550 be costin' many pieces o' eight.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Chip NoVaMac said:
As a photo reseller, I can say that I have yet to see an SD come in for anything like that.

Another alternative to the Nikon S series and the Canon SD series, the Casio EX-S500. Very thin and stylish (available in chrome orange, light grey paint (White), and a chrome dark grey). Very quick startup, good AF speed. An easier to use movie mode (a button like what is found on the Canon S2IS).

Another favorite of mine is the Pentax Optio WP (being replaced by the Optio WPi). Waterproof down to 5 feet for 30 minutes. The WP is a great value while they last for $299. The WPi is slated for $349, and features a 6mp vs. the WP's 5mp.

Thanks for your insight. I'm surprised to hear the negativity towards Nikon by some posters; I'd always heard that they were among the very best in imaging equipment. I'll definitely check out the Casio you mentioned as well.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
QCassidy352 said:
Thanks for your insight. I'm surprised to hear the negativity towards Nikon by some posters; I'd always heard that they were among the very best in imaging equipment. I'll definitely check out the Casio you mentioned as well.

*blush*

The Nikon S series are great cameras IMO. They don't have that funky mode dial that the rest of the lower end coolpix line has. That being said, the "d-lighting" function is a really cool one. Though I am holding out for a price drop (in my dreams) or a 7 to 8 megapixel version of the EX-S500 at the same price point as the 5mp version. According to the Casio rep, I would have to wait till next year.

It has been my experience that we see few cameras (from all the manufactures we represent) coming back during their warranty period. Those out of warranty are far and few between given the numbers sold. That being said, with the average cost of repair being $250, one has to weigh in their own minds as to whether to do the extended warranties. Our shop offers an "all-risk" warranty. So even if sand gets in to the zoom lens, or the grandkid decides to to tear off the swivel screen - you are covered. YMMV.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
Wouldn't go with a nikon for a lower end-digital camera. The canon non-SD line cameras are pretty usable.

I'm a fan of the casio s500, but I think you wanted some manual features. In that case, take a look at the casio ex-z750. Great quality, beautiful camera, awesome battery life, good price.

Konica Minolta's got a few new DiMage cameras, but I haven't toyed with them yet. Just tossing that out into the fray. Maybe someone else on the board has had a chance to use them (if they're released already.)

carpe diem

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
I love my sony t7 it is really good i would recommend it but i hear nikon's are good i was looking into the coolpix 7900.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I was in BestBuy last night looking at cameras, I inquired about the Canon G6 as they didn't have any on display. The sales clerk told me that the G6 had been discontinued... raising my hopes for a G7.

These are really fantastic cameras.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Just got a Canon SD 300. Seems like it was a pretty great choice so far. Amazingly small, as many features as I'll ever use, and wonderfully clear images. I'm just a "casual" user when it comes to cameras...

The only problem I'm having is deciding how much memory to get. I bought a 512, but then realized that it wasn't high speed (d'oh!), meaning it won't work for video, and I plan to use the camera to take short videos sometimes. So wanting a chip for this coming weekend, I bought a 256 MB high speed today... but I haven't opened either yet, and am debating returning both and getting a 512 or even 1 GB high speed. Decisions, decisions.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
QCassidy352 said:
Just got a Canon SD 300. Seems like it was a pretty great choice so far. Amazingly small, as many features as I'll ever use, and wonderfully clear images. I'm just a "casual" user when it comes to cameras...

The only problem I'm having is deciding how much memory to get. I bought a 512, but then realized that it wasn't high speed (d'oh!), meaning it won't work for video, and I plan to use the camera to take short videos sometimes. So wanting a chip for this coming weekend, I bought a 256 MB high speed today... but I haven't opened either yet, and am debating returning both and getting a 512 or even 1 GB high speed. Decisions, decisions.

I have played extensively with the SD300. I have used the Promaster brand 52x cards, and videos seem to be pretty smooth. I had not had a chance to test it with even higher speed memory as of yet.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
QCassidy352 said:

How much did you pay for the SD300? I've been trying to find an open box around town with little luck.. Dell has them right now for ~$205 with some coupons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.