Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Nikon Z50 initial review: What's new, how it compares

As we've touched on earlier in this review, there's not exactly a lack of competition in this space. And again, since Nikon is really pushing the Z50 as a solution for 'non-photographers,' what specifically about the Z50 will appeal to that group?

I was intrieged by the Nikon Z6 but the price is off putting as a hobbyist. Enter the Z50, but after reading the review, I don't see any feature that would tempt me to trade in my OMD EM5 II and lenses.

the reviewer goes on to state that Nikon is positioning this camera for non-photographers, I can't seee this happening, many non-photographers are using their smart phones, I'm not sure they'll look for such an expensive mirrorless. Given the inroads of computational photography, they'll be getting better bokeh from their phones then with the kit lenses.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I am not sure who the Z50 is for either. It is not the crop body Nikon shooters wanted. I have a Z6 and love it but don’t want a crop body of any kind.

I disagree, though, about computational processing taking the place of real bokeh. Maybe someday but to me it still looks obviously fake. And the full frame lenses will work on the Z50 so you can still open up at times.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Hahaha "The company says the camera is designed to attract a generation of users who don't consider themselves to be photographers. "

Who the heck is in charge of the marketing?

This camera doesn't make sense. Non-photographers basically use their smartphone or they fall into vloggers. They should have just marketed this as a vlogging camera but they stupidly made the screen flip down which means you can't use it on the mode on a tripod.

Really the major things missing are IBIS and Flip up screen.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Yeah, I got the email from B&H today about the Z50. It does seem to miss the mark a bit. If it is going for “non-photographers,” then I would expect something more compact. To me, cameras with a large grip are for people who consider themselves photographers, at least amateur ones. And the specs compared to the A6400 are less in a few regards. The Sony is lighter, has more MP, and considerably longer battery life. I would have expected Nikon to have more parity here. Maybe that explains the strange marketing angle?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah, I got the email from B&H today about the Z50. It does seem to miss the mark a bit. If it is going for “non-photographers,” then I would expect something more compact. To me, cameras with a large grip are for people who consider themselves photographers, at least amateur ones. And the specs compared to the A6400 are less in a few regards. The Sony is lighter, has more MP, and considerably longer battery life. I would have expected Nikon to have more parity here. Maybe that explains the strange marketing angle?

have you seen the promo photos though?? It IS small.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
have you seen the promo photos though?? It IS small.
Smaller than the Z6 or mirrored APS-C, sure, but what would probably be its direct competition is even smaller. It's 12% heavier and larger in 2 dimensions compared to the A6400, yet the A6400 can take around 80 more shots on a battery charge. If that extra size and weight gave something in return, it might not be as big of a deal, but they are asking a lot for a buyer to chose this over the similarly-priced competition.

Reactions: mollyc

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Maybe someday but to me it still looks obviously fake.
Perhaps to the trained eye, but for the majority of people using an iPhone (or android), posting on social media, it looks real. I've not heard one complaint about this, and computational photography is getting better, so much so, I think camera makers should embrace it on some level. The low light ability of the newest phones are great examples of how far the technology has grown.

I have a Z6 and love it
When I was picking up my G5X II (As a secondary carry all the time camera), I saw someone trading in their Nikon DSLR for a Z7, and it looked really nice. The body only price is a high and its probably over kill but I used to own a Nikon DSLR, and like Nikon glass. Hunts photo is having some sort of special next week, I may take my M43 gear and see how much the Z6 goes down in price with a trade in.

Unfortunately Nikon (and Canon, too) have come a bit too late
Yes, and to some degree their vision is unclear and disjointed. Nikon rolling out the DX cropped camera with two lenses that are not all that bright. No in-body stabilization, and only two slower native lenses is a curious move.

Likewise, the Canon EOS M6 II, is an odd move, a lot of nice things, but some definite questionable things.

Reactions: Ledgem

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I agree that Canon and Nikon are late to the party, but the Z6/Z7 is a strong platform. Also, photographers are fickle. It wasn't that long ago that Canon led the pack with the original 5D, then Nikon took over with the D700. They evened out for a bit, then mirrorless hit. Photographers will try anything new and shiny and I wouldn't count on Sony staying at the top forever. It will flip again, although it's anyone's bet.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
...computational photography is getting better, so much so, I think camera makers should embrace it on some level. ...

They already do, from autofocus and eye-detect capabilities, pixel shifting, Phase One's frame averaging (can take the place of ND filters), in-camera "film looks" and other jpeg processing, etc. Lots of computational photography already zipping along :). I expect they'll throw in firmware generated bokeh on optically limited point/shoots first or as an option on lower end ILCs for a target audience that doesn't want to spend money on lenses to get the results optically.

As cameras, from an optics and sensor point of view, phones are extremely limited at a base level and the cleverness must come from as many computational methods as they can throw at it. The advances are indeed amazing and I can't wait to see what comes next. There are so many ways we can produce images today, from film to large and small digital sensors, in dedicated cameras and Swiss army knives (phones), that there's something for everyone. What could be better?

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Unfortunately Nikon (and Canon, too) have come a bit too late to the mirrorless party, and other manufacturers, especially Sony, have taken the lead. Too bad, too sad....

Agreed both are late but Canon will be fine. They have a massive market share already and very popular in cinema cameras. Nikon made more strategic errors such as releasing two mirrorless bodies at the same time last year (semi pro Z7 and mid tier Z6) which is a over saturated move whereas Canon went for just a mid tier camera and then waited for a lower end one. Canon is waiting on releasing higher end bodies which makes sense because of how limited the native glass is on both systems and entering the market with ultra pro level bodies doesn't make sense. Canon is entering in on the mid to lower end and will then release their serious gear $$$.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I agree that Canon and Nikon are late to the party, but the Z6/Z7 is a strong platform. Also, photographers are fickle. It wasn't that long ago that Canon led the pack with the original 5D, then Nikon took over with the D700. They evened out for a bit, then mirrorless hit. Photographers will try anything new and shiny and I wouldn't count on Sony staying at the top forever. It will flip again, although it's anyone's bet.

While, yes, many photographers are "gear heads," always eager to buy the latest, newest body or lens, there are those who have specific needs (especially if they are professionals selling to clientele) and won't necessarily reach for the brand-new body on the block if they still prefer the results they are getting with the gear they already own, particularly if it includes expensive long lenses. Those who shoot wildlife and birds are notably in that category and while some have cautiously ventured into mirrorless, it's often as an adjunct and they still use their Nikon or Canon bodies with the long, big, heavy lenses for their birding or wildlife. Sony doesn't have that many long lenses yet although they have released a couple fairly recently, and have just announced the A9 II, which is presumably aimed at sports photographers and wildlife/bird photographers.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
While, yes, many photographers are "gear heads," always eager to buy the latest, newest body or lens, there are those who have specific needs (especially if they are professionals selling to clientele) and won't necessarily reach for the brand-new body on the block if they still prefer the results they are getting with the gear they already own, particularly if it includes expensive long lenses. Those who shoot wildlife and birds are notably in that category and while some have cautiously ventured into mirrorless, it's often as an adjunct and they still use their Nikon or Canon bodies with the long, big, heavy lenses for their birding or wildlife. Sony doesn't have that many long lenses yet although they have released a couple fairly recently, and have just announced the A9 II, which is presumably aimed at sports photographers and wildlife/bird photographers.

but that’s not a Nikon or Canon problem. That’s a mirrorless issue. I am not a birder but I have seen some amazing images using the Z series for birds. Nikon at least has the lens lineup, even if the whole rig may be slightly unbalanced.

Reactions: kallisti

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I'm not sure what Sony's longest lens is -- maybe a 400mm, maybe a 500mm, whatever was recently announced, anyway. That with a teleconverter could extend the reach (which is also what many wildlife and bird photographers use, too), so not a problem there.... One often-cited issue with mirrorless has been image blackout between shots, but Sony's A9 and the new A9 II don't have blackout, which is useful when shooting fast-moving wildlife.

I would suspect that the primary issue for some photographers with DSLRs and heavy, expensive lenses is taking the plunge and switching systems altogether, and yes, in this instance it would probably seem easier to go that route if one were already a Nikon shooter -- just buy one of their new Z mirrorless bodies, slap the FTZ adapter on the camera body and then use whatever lenses are already in one's collection. Nikon's new PF series lenses are also smaller and lighter weight than their earlier ones, which again could be very useful when used with a Z camera and adapter.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I have my Z6 set to continuous low for shooting (vs one shot, high continuous, etc.). I have no blackout between shots when shooting continuous - this is a menu setting.
[automerge]1570819524[/automerge]
I will be honest, I really went to the Z6 because I wanted focal points all over the frame and not clustered in the center. I didn't know much about mirrorless in general when I bought mine but I have been won over to it and avoid my other two dSLRs now.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have my Z6 set to continuous low for shooting (vs one shot, high continuous, etc.). I have no blackout between shots when shooting continuous - this is a menu setting.
[automerge]1570819524[/automerge]
I will be honest, I really went to the Z6 because I wanted focal points all over the frame and not clustered in the center. I didn't know much about mirrorless in general when I bought mine but I have been won over to it and avoid my other two dSLRs now.

Molly, I'm glad you're so happy with your Z6! Good to know that you're not experiencing image blackout between shots. That must not be an issue with the Nikon Z cameras.

Eventually I have got to make up my mind and do whatever it is I'm going to do when it comes to moving forward with photography; I still have not come to grips about what new camera body I'd like to buy and although it would make sense for me to go with a Z camera since I have been a long-time Nikon user and have a lot of lenses, I still hesitate because I really am not keen on the idea of using adapters and right now Nikon is not offering a macro lens in the Z series. I'm sure one will come along eventually, though. A while back when I looked to see which lenses were compatible with the Nikon one of my macro lenses isn't, and I don't recall which now. That's annoying!

At the same time, while the idea of moving to Sony (right now I've got the NEX-7, the RX10 m4, the RX100 m6 and RX100 m5) totally and purchasing a FF body and a couple of their lenses is tempting, this would require selling or trading in my Nikon gear. So far (more than a year, actually!) I've been dragging my heels..... To date I have not laid hands and eyes on the new Z cameras or Sony's A7R III and A7R IV, and until I do that, not much progress is going to be made.....

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Almost all my recent images posted here are with the Z6, the adapter, and the 105mm macro lens. You can always manually focus with older lenses, and often needed for macro anyway. Honestly the adapter is a nonissue.

Nikon has announced a 60mm and 105mm macro on their new roadmap for the Z series. Should be within the next two years.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I'm a birder/wild-life guy with a d850 (that I absolutely love) and several long lenses. I wouldn't have an issue using those lenses on a z7 but I'm not (yet) convinced I need to make the move just yet on the basis of anything to do with mirrorless - it would be more of a lateral move for me, with some frustrations around group autofocus (from what I understand). But interestingly, one of the things that might kick me over to a z body is that I am interested in picking up a 24-70 for some other projects and both the 2.8 and 4 variants of the S lens for z seem to be great. It would probably make more sense to get the z7 with either of those two smaller(ish) lighter(ish) but stellar lenses. The z7 over the z6 more because I also do landscape and even with birds and wildlife, I'm not looking for massively high fps captures.

Decisions, decisions :)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I'm a birder/wild-life guy with a d850 (that I absolutely love) and several long lenses. I wouldn't have an issue using those lenses on a z7 but I'm not (yet) convinced I need to make the move just yet on the basis of anything to do with mirrorless - it would be more of a lateral move for me, with some frustrations around group autofocus (from what I understand). But interestingly, one of the things that might kick me over to a z body is that I am interested in picking up a 24-70 for some other projects and both the 2.8 and 4 variants of the S lens for z seem to be great. It would probably make more sense to get the z7 with either of those two smaller(ish) lighter(ish) but stellar lenses. The z7 over the z6 more because I also do landscape and even with birds and wildlife, I'm not looking for massively high fps captures.

Decisions, decisions :)
The Z7 would probably suit you better so you could crop in post for birds. It’s the same MP as the D850 I think. I downgraded MP from the D800 to the Z6 but it hasn’t been a problem so far.

Reactions: r.harris1

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
So have you gone "full" Z6, or do you still use more than one camera?
I have three but primarily use the Z6 now. ? like 98% of the time. I’ve used two cameras together for awhile now, just to keep two lenses mounted all the time but I’ve actually gone back to switching lenses!!

Reactions: Darmok N Jalad

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
The Z7 would probably suit you better so you could crop in post for birds. It’s the same MP as the D850 I think. I downgraded MP from the D800 to the Z6 but it hasn’t been a problem so far.
I'll probably end up adding a z7 to my arsenal but not replacing the d850 itself. I love the long battery life with the grip and d5 battery, plus if I need 9 fps, I get it with full 14 bit raw. Having a functional grip is also awesome with some of the larger lenses with additional flexibility.

On the other hand, I'd love to have the whacking great number of focus points, small size, actually easy-to-use silent shooting and the hope that they'll continue to add more in their firmware.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Almost all my recent images posted here are with the Z6, the adapter, and the 105mm macro lens. You can always manually focus with older lenses, and often needed for macro anyway. Honestly the adapter is a nonissue.

Nikon has announced a 60mm and 105mm macro on their new roadmap for the Z series. Should be within the next two years.

Ah, thanks, saves me the trouble of looking to see which of my macro lenses DOESN'T work with the FTZ....must be the 60mm, then..... Aside from that, there is no specific date on that "road map," and at age 74-going-on-75, I really don't want to be waiting around two more years for lenses which may or may not appear!

To me, an adapter just adds a level of complexity (not to mention more weight and length, making everything more awkward to hold). Yes, when shooting macro, manual focus really is preferred and I usually use it, too. Focus peaking on mirrorless cameras makes it so much easier! Does anyone know whether or not the revered and classic Noct (which I own) will work with the FTZ?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Ah, thanks, saves me the trouble of looking to see which of my macro lenses DOESN'T work with the FTZ....must be the 60mm, then..... Aside from that, there is no specific date on that "road map," and at age 74-going-on-75, I really don't want to be waiting around two more years for lenses which may or may not appear!

To me, an adapter just adds a level of complexity (not to mention more weight and length, making everything more awkward to hold). Yes, when shooting macro, manual focus really is preferred and I usually use it, too. Focus peaking on mirrorless cameras makes it so much easier! Does anyone know whether or not the revered and classic Noct (which I own) will work with the FTZ?
Is the original Noct an F mount? If so then yes it will mount via the adapter. It will be manual focus. Is it already? The new one is, but I’m not familiar with the original other than to know it existed before the Z one.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
I have three but primarily use the Z6 now. ? like 98% of the time. I’ve used two cameras together for awhile now, just to keep two lenses mounted all the time but I’ve actually gone back to switching lenses!!
I actually find myself changing more often now. I often find myself using my 45-150, which in m43 land is a 90-300. A 100-300 is on my wish list so I can get even closer to the birds, and they all seem to have showed up right as the butterflies went away. Maybe our day in the 40s got them looking for our feeders.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.