Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nintendo 3DS XL vs Switch just for Mario Games?

• 3DS XL or 2DS

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Switch

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I already had the Nintendo 3DS XL. Started to get a little bored and broke (as in tight on cash) so I sold it on eBay about a year ago.

I am feeling the Mario itch again. I don't have too much patience to learn new things much Mario Odyseey has definitely caught my interest.

So should I rebuy the 3DS XL for Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2 or just get the Switch for Odyssey?

Very casual gamer here. I don't play Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario Maker, or Luigi's Mansion type games. Just traditional Mario.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
If you don't use the 3D then get a 2DS XL - there are more Mario games on the 3DS/DS platform right now and will cost a lot less money.

A Switch would be a big investment for you...
Thanks! Yeah I don't really care about 3D.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'll just say Mario Odissey is the best Mario game ever for me. Mario 64 is second.

It's a game not to be missed if you like Mario platform games. Such a joy from start to finish.

Reactions: phillytim

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I love and have owned every single Mario game since the SNES, but Odyssey is sadly not one of them. I pretty much stopped playing half way collecting moons. It is a very short game full of needless fluff to make it seem longer than it really is. I enjoyed the Mario games on the 3DS more than Odyssey.

Go with the 3DS OR 2DS.

thisismyusername

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2015
I can't think of a single Mario game I'd rather play over Odyssey, not by a long shot. 3D Land/World can't hold a candle to them. That said, buying the Switch just for that game is a waste of money.

Are you dead set on the new'ish Mario games? There are ways to get a Mario fix for virtually nothing if you're ok with the older Mario games.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Thanks for everyone's advice---I appreciate it!

I actually went the Wii U route this time. Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U has me thinking I made the right choice.
I had Super Mario Land the 3DS XL and liked it a lot, but couldn't get enough stars to advance through upper Worlds.

New Super Mario Brothers U is also very good.

For now my fix is satisfied for awhile. Never played any Galaxy games, but I can play them on the Wii U if I get a Wii Remote. Never actually played anything on the original Wii.

This is good--a lot of Mario in my future! Take care and thanks!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thanks for everyone's advice---I appreciate it!

I actually went the Wii U route this time. Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U has me thinking I made the right choice.
I had Super Mario Land the 3DS XL and liked it a lot, but couldn't get enough stars to advance through upper Worlds.

New Super Mario Brothers U is also very good.

For now my fix is satisfied for awhile. Never played any Galaxy games, but I can play them on the Wii U if I get a Wii Remote. Never actually played anything on the original Wii.

This is good--a lot of Mario in my future! Take care and thanks!

Interesting - Wii U wasn't on your list.

Hopefully you got a great deal on one.

Around here, they're $170 (I guess at Gamestop you get 2 free games under $20), but by the time you add in a Wii controller ($25 used), the Nunchuck ($10 used) and the Pro controller ($47 used :eek:), you might as well spent the extra dollars for a NEW Switch...

Reactions: phillytim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.