Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have to send my Switch in for repair/replacement. I was advised that I could use Nintendo Online to save my games to the cloud in the event they either have to replace my console entirely or have to overwrite my data. Is anyone using cloud saves? What do I have to do exactly? I only have data from two games to save (one profile on Mario Kart and three games on Super Mario Bros.), but I'm not sure what I would have to get them to save in the cloud. Open SMB, play through levels until a save point? Play a cup in MK?

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I have to send my Switch in for repair/replacement. I was advised that I could use Nintendo Online to save my games to the cloud in the event they either have to replace my console entirely or have to overwrite my data. Is anyone using cloud saves? What do I have to do exactly? I only have data from two games to save (one profile on Mario Kart and three games on Super Mario Bros.), but I'm not sure what I would have to get them to save in the cloud. Open SMB, play through levels until a save point? Play a cup in MK?
With a Nintendo Online membership, Cloud Saves are enabled. Try to zoom out your thinking a little bit: It's more a of a menu-level thing than an actual in-game save profile thing.

Once you're set up, your save data will get backed up to the cloud automatically. Getting started takes little bit of doing, but if you only have two games, this will go quick. Just hover over your games on the main menu, hit the + button on your controller, and turn Cloud Save back-ups on for each game.

Try it out, and let me know if you have any questions. :)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
With a Nintendo Online membership, Cloud Saves are enabled. Try to zoom out your thinking a little bit: It's more a of a menu-level thing than an actual in-game save profile thing.

Once you're set up, your save data will get backed up to the cloud automatically. Getting started takes little bit of doing, but if you only have two games, this will go quick. Just hover over your games on the main menu, hit the + button on your controller, and turn Cloud Save back-ups on for each game.

Try it out, and let me know if you have any questions. :)
Awesome. Thanks for the response. Sounds easy.

Reactions: scottcampbell

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Absolutely I'm using it. I've got dozens of hours in Zelda and the thought of my Switch being lost/damaged and that progress being lost made me ill. It's frustrating that it took them so long after launch to implement ANY way for us to back up our save games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.