Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yep, apparently Apple is trying to get advantage of all the legal loops and holes to restrict the multiple marketplaces to the minimum amount of devices, e.i. only the iPhone.

If they really want to comply, they should allow the third party marketplaces on the iPad on iPadOS 18, but I very much doubt they do it if the EU doesn’t complain about it.

It’s a pity, because the most advantage I could get from apps that aren’t allowed on the official App Store, could be on the iPad, not on the iPhone.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Would it be possible to get an app that runs a Linux OS on the iPad if this goes through?

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Would it be possible to get an app that runs a Linux OS on the iPad if this goes through?
If you have the inclination and the extra equipment, you can self host stuff.

There are Linux os options, browsers and all sorts of stuff that are traditionally non iPad things, running via docker. Somewhat clunky sometimes, but certainly does the trick at a pinch.

A NAS, a raspberry Pi, rent a VPS etc ..

Reactions: ScanTheNavian

mvwoensel

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2024
If they really want to comply, they should allow the third party marketplaces on the iPad on iPadOS 18, but I very much doubt they do it if the EU doesn’t complain about it.
Apple doesn't have to allow it on iPadOS, because only iOS has been designated as a core platform service by the European Commission. The EC is still investigating if iPadOS should be designated as well: https://ec.europa.eu/competition/digital_markets_act/cases/202343/DMA_100047_5136.pdf

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Reactions: nxt3 and mvwoensel

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Apple doesn't have to allow it on iPadOS, because only iOS has been designated as a core platform service by the European Commission. The EC is still investigating if iPadOS should be designated as well: https://ec.europa.eu/competition/digital_markets_act/cases/202343/DMA_100047_5136.pdf
Yeah, I know. You’re quoting a message from January and I didn’t know that back then.
Anyways, I really hope the EC concludes that iPadOS must be included on the DMA as well. I didn’t know they were already investigating if iPadOS should be included or not. Let’s see…

Thanks for the document, btw!

Reactions: mvwoensel

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
The irony being that the iPhone isn't even close to a monopoly in the phone market yet Apple pretty much have the tablet market sown up to themselves!

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Sadly, Apple will never allow this until people stop buying iPads or some government forces them to

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
If Apple would be even more creative they could chop up i-something OS even further so they don't have to comply with the rules.

How about iProOS,iPhoneSEOS,imobiledevicetypethingOS?

As I see it the law should cover all mobile devices or devices that can utilize AppStore.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Yep. But does that mean they shouldn’t? As it stands their somewhat malicious compliance seems to be fracturing their own ecosystem just to prove a point.
It’s the EU that have forced the fracturing by forcing Apple to make changes to iOS? If they’d left it alone there wouldn’t be this fracturing.

Reactions: DaPhox

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
It’s the EU that have forced the fracturing by forcing Apple to make changes to iOS? If they’d left it alone there wouldn’t be this fracturing.
Thats besides the point. Its happening whether you, anyone here, or indeed Apple like it or not. Apple should gracefully comply with their apple-esque elegance.

Else it's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Thats besides the point. Its happening whether you, anyone here, or indeed Apple like it or not. Apple should gracefully comply with their apple-esque elegance.

Else it's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Well it’s better to keep iPadOS the way it is than to bastardise it with the EU changes. We might as well try and minimise the amount of damage the EU is trying to inflict.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Well it’s better to keep iPadOS the way it is than to bastardise it with the EU changes. We might as well try and minimise the amount of damage the EU is trying to inflict.
I'm never going to agree that apples locked down method is better than a more open system anymore. I saw the light after years in their cage. Its better when you're free I assure you. The rhetoric around the 'danger' is entirely overblown at best, down right lies at worst.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I'm never going to agree that apples locked down method is better than a more open system anymore. I saw the light after years in their cage. Its better when you're free I assure you. The rhetoric around the 'danger' is entirely overblown at best, down right lies at worst.
You can buy an Android tablet then 👍

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
You can buy an Android tablet then 👍

What a cop out comment.

I already use multiple platforms. And by quite a long chalk, iOS is a pain to use comparatively. I'm pretty ingrained in the ecosystem, so I'm not going to ditch it. I'm very much looking forwards to it becoming more useful though.

Being as though this happening regardless of your opinion, I would start to build that bunker for the impending doom about to befall everybody's iPhone - Trying to advise random people on the internet on what they should or shouldn't buy won't help you 👍

Reactions: ct2k7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.