Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

collin_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I am trying to watch a 4k HDR (.mkv, HEVC) movie on iPhone XS Max. It is about 2 hours long and 18 GB. I know 4k is overkill on a phone screen, but this is the only size I could obtain in HDR.

I cannot find an app that can play this movie without lagging. Tried VLC, iPlayerExtreme, etc. Playback is choppy. When it's not lagging it looks incredible.
icon_sad.gif

Now I know that this is a high bitrate, but shouldn't the phone be able to handle this easily due to HEVC hardware decoding? According to MediaInfo, the bitrate of this file is slightly lower than the bitrate of 4k30 footage recorded using the phone, and obviously the iPhone can smoothly play its own footage.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I am trying to watch a 4k HDR (.mkv, HEVC) movie on iPhone XS Max. It is about 2 hours long and 18 GB. I know 4k is overkill on a phone screen, but this is the only size I could obtain in HDR.

I cannot find an app that can play this movie without lagging. Tried VLC, iPlayerExtreme, etc. Playback is choppy. When it's not lagging it looks incredible.
icon_sad.gif

Now I know that this is a high bitrate, but shouldn't the phone be able to handle this easily due to HEVC hardware decoding? According to MediaInfo, the bitrate of this file is slightly lower than the bitrate of 4k30 footage recorded using the phone, and obviously the iPhone can smoothly play its own footage.

Try nPlayer

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland

icon_sad.gif

While you're at it, could you also try Infuse in addition to nPlayer? I wonder if it can handle such heavy files as well.

Reactions: Minorite

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
Can't speak for the others but Infuse works well for me. Plays everything I throw at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.