Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
The install info. pages on "Dortania" all have a link to a feedback option - all of which come up with advice that only collaborators can comment. GitHub seems to be a huge site with very complex navigation. I recently spent about five hours trying to get my iMac back to basic working order after an update of OCLP Sonoma. Once discovered the solution took around 5 secs. The guide however gave what I think could only be fairly described as false information viz:

"Native OTA updates​

Install updates the moment they come out, with native System Preferences support, just like a supported Mac." It would have been more accurate to state that howling at the moon will produce the updates; which presumably wouldn't work but at least wouldn't make the device unusable except in Safe mode which was the result of following the guidance abovementioned.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
It's open source and community supported.. even the documentation.. one could consider contributing documentation updates.. pay it forward.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 2.52.25 PM.png

Last edited:

iMac'd

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
The link you have highlighted is what I described as a "feedback option" which is exclusively for "collaborators" I would be glad to assist them with basic technical communication. Not currently motivated enough to find what the selection criteria to become a "collaborator" and suspect it's difficult. If the misinformation (copy on OP) were on instructions for any health/safety technical publication the authors would be in danger of being charged with criminal negligence etc.

In this case it may well be just that those so thoroughly familiar with an area may forget that some elements are not apparent to new users and even less so if they are (as in this case) mislead by official documentation. Perhaps you might like to join the cause and attempt to point out the gross error. The solution by the way was just to click on the Root patching button after the "native like" update; but why would anyone think of that when there is no mention of it in the guidance (there is a note above the button - but as stated why would anyone open it?

K two

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2018
North America
The link you have highlighted is what I described as a "feedback option" which is exclusively for "collaborators" I would be glad to assist them with basic technical communication. Not currently motivated enough to find what the selection criteria to become a "collaborator" and suspect it's difficult. If the misinformation (copy on OP) were on instructions for any health/safety technical publication the authors would be in danger of being charged with criminal negligence etc.

In this case it may well be just that those so thoroughly familiar with an area may forget that some elements are not apparent to new users and even less so if they are (as in this case) mislead by official documentation. Perhaps you might like to join the cause and attempt to point out the gross error. The solution by the way was just to click on the Root patching button after the "native like" update; but why would anyone think of that when there is no mention of it in the guidance (there is a note above the button - but as stated why would anyone open it?
Why not go here and ask? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-14-sonoma-on-unsupported-macs-thread.2391630/page-178

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I have no idea what the exact scope of this thread is
'so
if you want to add or help OCLP then visit their GitHub or that massage broad website.

if this process is confusing or "busy" visit mrmacintosh's excellent uTube page on Big Sur.
that is the "best how to" OCLP guide.

/no links added since we are very tech savvy here......

Reactions: Bigwaff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.