Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrordemon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
so from what i understand it is impossible to run ANY app in the background. is this correct?

so this means that traditional background apps, such as AIM, can only be used if theyre on your screen? so if i'm using aim, i can't do ANYTHING else on my phone?

does this sound terrible to anyone else?

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
so from what i understand it is impossible to run ANY app in the background. is this correct?

so this means that traditional background apps, such as AIM, can only be used if theyre on your screen? so if i'm using aim, i can't do ANYTHING else on my phone?

Not when they stated this would be the case until september nope.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Yes, this is correct. Steve Jobs is on record as saying that apps running in the background would be a Bad Thing, since it might negatively impact the performance of the app running in the foreground. If you keep only one program running at a time, you can eliminate a lot of the crashes associated with multitasking.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

For me it is a minor annoyance, nothing more.

terrordemon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
there will be a fix in the fall to allow for background apps? or for the aim app? and the "fall" just means the future? or do you actually know the fall

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
there will be a fix in the fall to allow for background apps? or for the aim app? and the "fall" just means the future? or do you actually know the fall

As i recall they said September. So even if it's delayed until October, it is still Fall.

terrordemon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
thanks spohn; just to clarify, the fix is for all apps to be able to run in the background?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
From what I understand, the update won't allow apps to run in the background. Rather it will be a server that 3rd parties will be allowed to use to push messages to your iPhone. Example: AOL could push a message saying that you have an IM. Then you open up AIM and get the IM.

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
From what I understand, the update won't allow apps to run in the background. Rather it will be a server that 3rd parties will be allowed to use to push messages to your iPhone. Example: AOL could push a message saying that you have an IM. Then you open up AIM and get the IM.

Yep - far better on battery time this option. Windows Mobile's with background apps running all the time have very poor battery times.

terrordemon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
fair enough, all i really care about is having push AIM (+ gtalk? why is there no gtalk app???)

though i would LOVE LOVE LOVE if the pandora app was able to run in the background. thats like the only one i really want to run in the background (+ having push aim/gtalk)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If you're interested in more info (along with some pretty pictures), check out this link:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/steve-jobs-keynote-live-from-wwdc-2008/

Scroll down to the part that starts at "10:59AM PT". They'll explain why they don't want background processes, how they will work around it, and when it should be available.

wwdc-keynote_123.jpg

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007

Yep, he nailed it. It will be the same funtion pretty much.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Apple's solution of sending notifications to apps is nice but I believe that as technology improves, batteries will last longer and apps will get more complex so they'll be forced to allow background applications on the iPhone as well.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Apple's own apps can run in the background. They likely don't want anyone else mucking with the "user experience" until they can figure out a way to prevent even joe dummy from slowing down and clogging up his phone or becoming a hidden spambot on the phone network.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Note that *Apple* can make apps that run in the background, just not third-party developers. Apple looked at how often Windows Mobile devices crash or run out of memory or just run poorly, and the reason isn't because it's Windows: it's because people are running anything and everything on their device, and all of them are running in the background. Third party developers aren't always careful with their programs, just having more programs running can cause stability issues, and of course there's the issue of everything needing memory and taking up some of the CPU and battery power. Yet everyone blames the operating system, it's just expected that if it's Windows Mobile, it's not very stable. Apple definitely doesn't want that image for the iPhone!

The solution Apple came up with doesn't allow developers to do everything they could with true background apps, but it does allow things like chat programs and reminders/alarms and stuff to work. Basically, instead of an App on the iPhone running in the background, the developer will have a server on the internet with a program running at all times. When it needs to, that server can tell your iPhone to make a noise, display/update a number next to the App's icon, and/or display an alert message on the screen (and when you receive that you can choose to run the App if you wish). Then when you run the App, it can contact the server to get the updates. That is what is going to be available to developers starting in September.

yyy

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2007
Apple's own apps can run in the background. They likely don't want anyone else mucking with the "user experience" until they can figure out a way to prevent even joe dummy from slowing down and clogging up his phone or becoming a hidden spambot on the phone network.

I don't think so - as far as I understand, every app on the iPhone can't run in background - Apple provides 3rd party developers with the same tools they use to build apps on the iPhone. Maybe applications which are necessary for the OS's constant functionality can run in background.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA

Seriously. Get over it. Have you ever had an app screw up and all of a sudden when you type in email or sms there is a huge delay? That's what would happen if you let apps run in the background.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I don't think so - as far as I understand, every app on the iPhone can't run in background - Apple provides 3rd party developers with the same tools they use to build apps on the iPhone. Maybe applications which are necessary for the OS's constant functionality can run in background.

Not correct. Just try it yourself - run *any* app, then double-tap the home button. It'll bring up a little music-player menu, that's because that app was running in the background. And when you receive phone calls or email messages? Those are just apps running in the background as well. And when on 3G, you can browse the web while on the phone.

It's known as fact that the official SDK Apple gives to third party developers is no where near the full thing Apple has. That's why Jailbroken apps can do so much more (including running in the background)...they aren't hacking the device to add these features, they are just accessing the SDK libraries that Apple is withholding from official developers.

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
Apple's App can run in the background... think about it, does the music keep playing when you leave the iPod App? Does your phone still check for emails when you're not got Mail open? That's the apps running in the background.

markgamber

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2005
Redneck, PA
Frankly, I find the speed, stability and battery arguments bogus. I've been using Windows Mobile software for years and sure, there are a ton of apps that suck and I wouldn't touch with your phone, but that's me. I have a set of apps I use constantly and they all work fine. No leaks, no instability and the phone chugs happily along even with all of them running in the background at the same time. I've also been using a Sprint Touch and the iPhone side by side since picking up an iPhone yesterday and neither seems all that great as far as battery life. I burned through half the iPhone battery in a span of three hours of continuous 3G use last night and I did about the same amount of damage with the Touch using Slingplayer over Rev-A EVDO. Which has been significantly faster than 3G, I might add. I can understand where the casual user could use some "steering" as far as what you can install and how it can run, but a policy of no background apps is going to irk every "power user" I know. Considering how hard Apple tries to present itself as "freedom in computing", it would be nice if it was more than just lip service and I could use my phone as I see fit.

sidewalkscenes

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
so every time i go from AIM to another app, does it sign me out? that's a little silly. i guess i was pretty spoiled by my sidekick. but having the iphone > having the sk3

Cousin Dirk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
London, UK
so every time i go from AIM to another app, does it sign me out? that's a little silly. i guess i was pretty spoiled by my sidekick. but having the iphone > having the sk3

I don't think it logs you out (although I think there is the option for that), but you do have to open the App again to check if you've been messaged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.