Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Singapore
Hi everyone,

I have just updated my 2016 MacBook Pro TB to high Sierra and upon the first boot up, I noticed that my audio icon(on the top right) is disabled. I ventured into System Preference and click on the audio icon but it decided to greet me with a beach ball spinning every time I tried. Anyone else having the same issue or is this a one-time off bug?

I'm currently re-applying the update again in hope of solving the issue. On the other note, I can't seem to use safari to browse the web anymore as there will be this "Safari Web Content" that's forever not responding according to activity monitor. The issues I've experienced so far appears to only be on this particular MacBook Pro model as my older 2015 MacBook Pro seems to handle High Sierra smoothly.

*Update: reinstalling macOS High Sierra didn’t work to fix the audio issue so right now I’m stuck with a muted Mac...

Last edited:

auxbuss

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
UK
You might consider changing the subject of your post. This is not what bricked means. If you describe your problem more accurately then you are more likely to get a response.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You might consider changing the subject of your post. This is not what bricked means. If you describe your problem more accurately then you are more likely to get a response.
He might also consider waiting to post until after he reinstalls High Sierra. But either way he wouldn't get as many click views. ;)

Raz0rEdge

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2016
MA
You were presumably running Sierra prior to the upgrade and didn't have the audio issue? My 2016 15" MBP with TB was upgraded from Sierra and I don't have the audio issue or Safari, though I use Chrome as my primary browser..

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I have just updated my 2016 MacBook Pro TB to high Sierra
I have that same model and do not have this issue, so my guess is you have some application or utility installed that is incompatible and causing this. Just as a test, try rebooting while holding the shift key to start in safe mode. That will stop all startup and hidden launch items from running. Does that fix it?

If it does, run the utility Etrecheck. It will create an anonymized report showing all launch and startup items. Post the report here so we can take a look.

You will want to restart after safe mode and run the report in normal mode.

ryanapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Singapore
You were presumably running Sierra prior to the upgrade and didn't have the audio issue? My 2016 15" MBP with TB was upgraded from Sierra and I don't have the audio issue or Safari, though I use Chrome as my primary browser..
Yup I'm running Sierra 10.12.6 before the upgrade and the audio was working fine.

I have that same model and do not have this issue, so my guess is you have some application or utility installed that is incompatible and causing this. Just as a test, try rebooting while holding the shift key to start in safe mode. That will stop all startup and hidden launch items from running. Does that fix it?

If it does, run the utility Etrecheck. It will create an anonymized report showing all launch and startup items. Post the report here so we can take a look.

You will want to restart after safe mode and run the report in normal mode.

Just started up in Safe Boot and the issue still persist. I have however have AirFoil installed on the MacBook Pro and have since removed it completely from the Mac.

ryanapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2017
Singapore
Just thought I give an update on the situation I experienced, Apple Hotline too can't figure out what went wrong and in the end I reverted from APFS back to HFS+ and restored back to Sierra with Time Machine...probably will stay on Sierra for the time being.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.