Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
As per the title. Anyone come across this? rookie error, or due to OCLP? Seem odd that the input is clearly there is the Sounds settings, yet not noise issues forth from the speakers.
As I'm wanting to set this iMac up as a recording device with Garageband (to use which I'll probably have to go back to High Sierra), I'd like to find out if the machine is in some way defective before I spend any more time trying this. Thanks in advance for any knowledge!

As per the title. Anyone come across this? rookie error, or due to OCLP? Seem odd that the input is clearly there is the Sounds settings, yet not noise issues forth from the speakers.
As I'm wanting to set this iMac up as a recording device with Garageband (to use which I'll probably have to go back to High Sierra), I'd like to find out if the machine is in some way defective before I spend any more time trying this. Thanks in advance for any knowledge!

Do you have an external drive with another version of macOS on it?

Alternately, do you have another FireWire-equipped Mac with an earlier build (like Mojave or earlier), and a FW800 cable from which you can set the “donor” OS to target disk mode, connect it to the iMac, reboot the iMac, and then hold down Opt on the iMac to boot from that external source? At least then you will be able to test hardware without worry over patching issues or dropped driver support in Sonoma.

Do you have something like Rogue Amoeba’s LineIn or SoundFlower (or their 64-bit equivalents which can run on Silicon Macs) passing audio from line in source?

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
I call that a score! They're all iCloud unlocked, right?

How are you “passing” the line-in signal to the iMac’s speakers? This isn’t done automatically and you need something like Audio Hijackto listen to/record the signal.
Really?
Do you have an external drive with another version of macOS on it?

Do you have something like Rogue Amoeba’s LineIn or SoundFlower (or their 64-bit equivalents which can run on Silicon Macs) passing audio from line in source?
I'm not using anything bar the raw iMac. Why on earth do I need extra software for such a basic function? I'm flabbergasted....

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I'm not using anything bar the raw iMac. Why on earth do I need extra software for such a basic function? I'm flabbergasted....
If you only want to test the iMac's functionality:
Open QuickTime Player, select "New audio recording" and set the desired input.
No need to actually start the recording, but for 'copyright reasons' the Line-In cannot be listened to without any additional programs running.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
If you only want to test the iMac's functionality:
Open QuickTime Player, select "New audio recording" and set the desired input.
No need to actually start the recording, but for 'copyright reasons' the Line-In cannot be listened to without any additional programs running.
I'll give that a try, thanks.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Did you include me in your reply by mistake? :)

Yep, fraid so.

I ran into this issue when I attempted to monitor an analogue source with the Line-in on my MBP 1,1 but till now had no idea that it was due to copyright restrictions - which is frankly absurd because this also inhibits people from monitoring their own material.

Meanwhile on Windows there's no such restriction.

My C64 (designed in 1982!) happily allows me to do this, for goodness' sake. :rolleyes:

LineIn met my needs. :)

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Try what you're doing on a new iMac…oh wait…there's no "Line In"!

Since we’re sort of discussing iMacs and audio, might anyone here know when Apple definitively ceased including hybrid S/PDIF-analogue audio ports on their iMacs (and other models)? As recently as late 2013, the models still had at least a single hybrid port, but some time along the way, that port reverted back to analogue.

If you’re wondering what one looks like, take a bright light and shine in there. The very centre of a hybrid port will refract some of the light back at you. That tip is, in effect, a glass lens. :)

Last edited:

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Try what you're doing on a new iMac…oh wait…there's no "Line In"!

Try what the OP is doing on several older Macs - Intel and PPC - you can't because they never had a Line In either! ;)

Since we’re sort of discussing iMacs and audio, might anyone here know when Apple definitively ceased including hybrid S/PDIF-analogue audio ports on their iMacs (and other models)? As recently as late 2013, the models still had at least a single hybrid port, but some time along the way, that port reverted back to analogue.

If you’re wondering what one looks like, take a bright light and shine in there. The very centre of a hybrid port will refract some of the light back at you. :) that tip is, in effect, a glass lens.

@Amethyst1 will know! They know everything. :D

(Don't try and deny it.)

Try what the OP is doing on several older Macs - Intel and PPC - you can't because they never had a Line In either! ;)

(Don't try and deny it.)

All facts here.

If nothing else, they know everything there is to know about displays and GPU pairings. I am constantly in awe. :D

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015

(Don't try and deny it.)
All facts here.

If nothing else, they know everything there is to know about displays and GPU pairings. I am constantly in awe. :D
Likewise.
Awwww, you're the best folks I've ever met :D Don't overestimate me though, there's plenty of things I know exactly nothing about. I'm just trying to help as best as I can while learning things in the process.

Since we’re sort of discussing iMacs and audio, might anyone here know when Apple definitively ceased including hybrid S/PDIF-analogue audio ports on their iMacs (and other models)?
My 2015 iMac 4K still has it, also confirmed here. It's no longer listed for the 2017 though.

digout.png

Last edited:
Awwww, you're the best folks I've ever met :D Don't overestimate me though, there's plenty of things I know exactly nothing about. I'm just trying to help as best as I can while learning things in the process.

This is why the interdependence of our assorted skill sets here help to balance things out. :D

My 2015 iMac 4K still has it, also confirmed here. It's no longer listed for the 2017 though.

View attachment 2358024

A-ha! OK! This pushes things to at least that window.

Before I make an arse of myself, could anyone here daily driving a post-2016 Mac of any kind check to verify whether their input/output audio jacks on your particular Mac has a hybrid analogue-S/PDIF (optical) port? Cheers. If in doubt, and you don’t have a TOS-link cable handy, a quick visual inspection is linked to above.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
To continue the audio thread, I have, as mentioned, taken the machine back to High Sierra. Full install of appropriate Garageband. Start a project, and bingo! Sound. So that's the current use for this machine. Until the upcoming musical project peters out, always assuming it ever gets off the ground that is, this is now the recording box for that project.

Reactions: B S Magnet

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
In the time spent on this thread the OP could have tested Garageband to confirm whether or not input monitoring will work…if GB actually has input monitoring.

It can also be tested using the Audacity app.

Unfortunately, with the iMac running Sonoma, GB would not run properly enough to check in the same way as on High Sierra. Anyhow, good now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.