Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
I was moving offices right when I got my new Macbook Pro so I disconnected my Mini and put just used my MBP until my new office was ready. I just moved in and set up my Mini and my sound doesn't work. It says there is NO audio device. Anyone had this happen? It worked when I turned it off. I haven't done anything to troubleshoot yet as I literally just got this machine all plugged in and am getting my office in order. Figured I'd post up in case anyone experienced this. It's the latest version Mini and Snow Leopard is patched to the latest and greatest....

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Yes. The same thing happened to my Mac mini. It turned out that the audio board inside died. I managed to find a replacement board on ebay for about $30 and replaced it. Everything is working fine again.

How did I kill the original audio board? I have no idea...

Alternatively, you can pick up a USB sound adaptor for very cheap and use that. I did for a while but knowing that not everything was working in my Mac mini bugged me and I ended up replacing the internal sound board... The USB sound adaptor that I used looked like the following and wasn't even marked as Mac compatible, but it worked fine.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00zMstpZacOgor/USB-Sound-6-Channel-Card-SD-USB6CHA02-.jpg

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll bring it to the Apple store. Luckily I bought this right around Thanksgiving so it's still under warranty. It's also nice that a mini is, well, mini so it's easy to "haul" into the store.

I assume with their high-tech system I don't need to bring my receipt with me? Do you or anyone know?

Mike

Yes. The same thing happened to my Mac mini. It turned out that the audio board inside died. I managed to find a replacement board on ebay for about $30 and replaced it. Everything is working fine again.

How did I kill the original audio board? I have no idea...

Alternatively, you can pick up a USB sound adaptor for very cheap and use that. I did for a while but knowing that not everything was working in my Mac mini bugged me and I ended up replacing the internal sound board... The USB sound adaptor that I used looked like the following and wasn't even marked as Mac compatible, but it worked fine.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00zMstpZacOgor/USB-Sound-6-Channel-Card-SD-USB6CHA02-.jpg

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
For those that are (which may be none), my Mini is fixed. When they took it apart apparently the ribbon cable for the audio came undone. I suppose it was loose from the factory. I'm about as careful as anyone with my equipment and know it wasn't banged around during the move. I actually put my Mini in my laptop bag with my MBP during the move...guess it was enough to jar it enough to make the ribbon cable come undone though.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.