Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
These options are available on iMac and Mac Pro:
macos-sierra-imac5k-system-preferences-energy-saver.png

Mac mini has these options:
macos-sierra-mac-mini-system-preferences-energy-saver.png

So...
Perhaps not only did a junior engineer completely break sleep... but someone thought: "Hey, why do we have computer sleep AND display sleep?! I mean... I NEVER MAKE THESE DIFFERENT SETTINGS MYSELF... "

So same junior engineer or someone of similar lack of concern for common sense conflated these into one, figuring one sleep timer (display sleep) is plenty.
SAME junior realized his computer was going to sleep too much now. But to save face on the idea, he just figured that he could create a "Prevent Computer from going to sleep when display sleeps" checkbox. Now his computer stays awake! DONE! Right?! But ... What if you ALSO want the computer to go to sleep at some point??

Here's an example. Actually, MY example! I'm using the computer remotely and never have a display on. There is no computer sleep setting for me because if I slept when the display was off... My computer would basically never stay on. Now there is absolutely no way to have the computer automatically sleep when I disconnect from remote access.

The truth is many people on this thread were confused by this checkbox and didn't know it was keeping their computers from actually sleeping. The display was going off... and the computer stayed on anyway. No way to set a timer for the computer.

This is a completely broken user experience that was totally fine before. And looks like the rest of the sleep function went down the toilet with the UI.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.