Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
So Apple gave Bash-Shell Shock update for Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion -- but nothing for Snow Leopard.

If I'm running a Snow Leopard Mac online, standalone, not networked - how vulnerable is that sort of Mac with SL un-patched.

I realise there are articles online showing how I can patch it myself using Terminal commands, but I'm just a bit reluctant to try something that's not proved to work, which might stuff up what is presently a stable, smooth Snow Leopard system.

jorgechamorro

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2013
So Apple gave Bash-Shell Shock update for Mavericks, Mountain Lion and Lion -- but nothing for Snow Leopard.

If I'm running a Snow Leopard Mac online, standalone, not networked - how vulnerable is that sort of Mac with SL un-patched.

I realise there are articles online showing how I can patch it myself using Terminal commands, but I'm just a bit reluctant to try something that's not proved to work, which might stuff up what is presently a stable, smooth Snow Leopard system.

Here's a downloadable bash Update Installer for Snow Leopard, and the instructions to do it yourself if you wish:

http://hacksagogo.wordpress.com/2014/10/02/shell-shock-os-x-bash-update-installer-for-snow-leopard/

MacForScience

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
USA
If you are worried about security, then Snow Leopard would not be the OS to choose. 10.9 has made massive strides on security. Like any other out of date OS SL is becoming less and less safe.

The possible exception to the rule would be a really old OS like OS9 or some such.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.