Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philbergstein_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2024
I have a 12" MacBook Retina and its battery is dead. since the battery is preventing it from booting, will the macbook function without the battery?

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
I have a 12" MacBook Retina and its battery is dead. since the battery is preventing it from booting, will the macbook function without the battery?
It should function normally when you have the PowerCable plugged in - are you saying that it doesn't because the battery is dead? That doesn't sound right - it seems like something else is wrong.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It may function but it will run at about half speed or less so it's far from an ideal setup.

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
It may function but it will run at about half speed or less so it's far from an ideal setup.
Why would a plugged-in laptop run at "about half speed"? I've never heard this before or experienced that. The opposite might be true for older devices.

And to the OP: I don't understand the question: Why is the battery "preventing it from booting"? Have you plugged it in and tried? Or what is the problem exactly?

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Why would a plugged-in laptop run at "about half speed"? I've never heard this before or experienced that. The opposite might be true for older devices.

And to the OP: I don't understand the question: Why is the battery "preventing it from booting"? Have you plugged it in and tried? Or what is the problem exactly?

Because Intel Macs run things through the battery, and so without one they'll throttle.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Exactly as explained in the post above mine. Mac portables (and many Windows computers too) can draw more power than the AC adapter can provide at times of high load, so to prevent an unexpected shutdown, the maximum speed is capped at about 800MHz.

• Wow

dasjati

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Because Intel Macs run things through the battery, and so without one they'll throttle.
Mac user since 1993 and I've never heard about this before. Had a look at Apple's support forums and for anyone else wondering: Yes, this is a thing. It seems these laptops are constructed in a way that assumes the power supply and the battery are both there for peak performance. If the battery is missing, the system is throttled.

pastoralbasement

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2023
I concur with the performance statements above. Typically if a battery has died from old age, the MacBook has been able to power-on (though slow).

I have had one exception: one MacBook refused to power-on, which contained an off-brand battery that had failed. That one MacBook had an extensive history of physical damage and repairs, so I do not know if something in the computer's history was the culprit or the use of an off-brand battery. Regardless, it regained full functionality when I replaced the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.