Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samuel_js

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
Sweden
Hello everyone,
Today I upgraded my Mac Pro 5.1 to Big Sur wit Open Core following the instructions given here.
Everything went fine until I discovered that my sound card RME Fireface 800 wasn't working anymore. After reading a lot of forums I decided to remove OpenCore (also following the instructions from the same page) to discover that after the second reboot the mac would not start anymore. It starts and I hear the chime, but after a few seconds it shuts down. In using a Saphire RX 580 8Gb without boot screen (and no bootpicker)

Did I delete something? How do I solve this? I don't really know where to start...

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thank you!

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
shutting down is usually the forbidden sign. Big Sur will not run without any tweaks.

Boot into a supported system and give

sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check"

system integrity protection should be disabled to enter this - or boot into supported USB Installer or Recovery

samuel_js

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
Sweden
Hi!
Thanks, booted from an istaller-usb and run the command but no luck so far.
I wonder, would it work if i start the computer in target mode from another one and run Open core from there choosing the mac pros hard drive som target?

samuel_js

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
Sweden
Sorry, the computer doesn't want to start in target mode for some reason so that's a no go.
I'm thinking maybe I can connect the ssd-disk to a usb cabinet and connect it to my laptop with BigSur. Then do the procedure from there. Would it work? What steps would you recommend?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
I'd remove the rx temporarily and plug in an EFI GPU (Original Apple GPU like GT120) and check out the details.

-no_compat_check should boot Big Sur, if not youre digging in the dark without OpenCore and no boot screen.

samuel_js

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
Sweden
Hi,
I just installed High Sierra in another drive and the original card. I'l give it a try and get back to you.
Thank you!

samuel_js

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
Sweden
Hi,
Thnaks! I could finally boot Big Sur after restoring the configuration fron the Big Sierra partition and then disabled SIP and did -no_compat_check.
The only problem I've left is that the wifi is completely gone. I've searched through the forums and none of the suggestions have solved the problems. Can it be related to OpenCore?

Thanks!

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
If you're still running your original WiFi hardware that came with your 5,1 from the factory, you should know that neither Catalina nor Big Sur have drivers that support it. You have to upgrade to a supported wifi card. Here is one of the long threads about that process:

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
You don't need to upgrade the stock card if using OpenCore as it just needs some kexts injected for WIFI to work on both Catalina and Big Sur with the stock card.

If you use MyBootMgr (see link in my signature) to set OpenCore up, it will do this for you.

samuel_js

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2021
Sweden
Hi!
That sounds interesting of course, but do I need go through the whole process again? Or can I just go directly to fixing the kexts for the wifi?

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
You can directly inject the kexts if you know what is needed. The kext is "IO80211Mojave" and a plugin within.
There is information somewhere on the dortania website but can't find this right now.

The tool provides and configures this when it detects a need.

Reactions: samuel_js

joelkalsi

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2017
Tampere, Finland
Hi,
Thnaks! I could finally boot Big Sur after restoring the configuration fron the Big Sierra partition and then disabled SIP and did -no_compat_check.
The only problem I've left is that the wifi is completely gone. I've searched through the forums and none of the suggestions have solved the problems. Can it be related to OpenCore?

Thanks!
Did you get the FF800 to work? Have you tried Monterey, does it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.