Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hello,

I have not used my Dell XPS workstation for 2 months and had to bring it on a plane as a check in. Finally I turned it on and got error message that boot device is not found. When I get into BIOS it does not list 512 gb SSD drive in boot sequence, not sure if I should see if it needs to be enabled somewhere else in BIOS. I tried to switch cables with storage 2TB HD that is seen by BIOS to see if sata or power cable is damaged.

Also, one of the four 8 gb memory sticks was loose and computer trying to run memory diagnostics when turned on, it passes it without that memory stick but runs single channel. If I plug the stick back I don't even get to BIOS.

What are next steps to fix it? Thanks!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
My Dell ops 13" gets "weird" when I turn the laptop on without a power chord sometimes.
since you are on an airplane, maybe try this again with the workstation plugged in.
you battery might nor hold enough power to run BIOs and even windows 10.

hopefully someone else might have a better solution.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
This is a desktop which is now powered on. I mentioned airplane due to potential rough handling

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
When I get into BIOS it does not list 512 gb SSD drive in boot sequence
If its not seeing the SSD, its dead.

If I plug the stick back I don't even get to BIOS.
Sounds like the memory stick has gone south as well.

I'd probably say the odds are high that it was really abused getting loaded or unloaded from the plane - perhaps you can file a claim with the airline

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
I am thinking plugging in SSD with USB and power adapter into another computer to see if it is dead.

Reactions: maflynn

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I would remove the modules and then rock them side to side a little before finally inserting to latch. Some times they need a little wiggle (side to side), to come back to life. Worth a few minutes I would think.

Reactions: radiologyman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.