Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I just bought a Sapphire Nitro RX 580 and now I find out that there is no boot screens???? How does Mojave support cards that do not show a boot screen?

Is there not a patch created for this problem?

This is really slack on Apple’s part. Wow.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
There's a big difference between the operating system, and the pre-boot environment.

Once the operating system is loaded, the kext driver handles the card. Prior to that, the GPU needs to have an EFI ROM to interface with the Mac logic board. Basically no newer hardware has this (with exceptions). Some cards can be flashed by knowledgable people, but some cards need hardware modifications. I don't know if they're still in the game, but MacVidCards used to run a service where you could buy flashed cards off of him or get him to flash your cards for you. Others were also involved in creating the EFI ROMs but I forget all the involved parties.

Reactions: Zwhaler

Apple Master

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Los Angeles
I’ve seen the MacVidCards site but they only sell Nvidia. I guess they would be a great resource to ask about this issue.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I’ve seen the MacVidCards site but they only sell Nvidia. I guess they would be a great resource to ask about this issue.

The essential idea behind it is the same regardless of Nvidia or AMD. MacVidCards probably never has flashed an AMD EFI ROM, but the idea is the same.

As far as I understand it there are two video systems for EFI/UEFI systems, and the Mac Pro uses a different pre-boot video system to what the card's ROM chip is set up for. Again, once the driver is loaded by the OS it's a different case entirely and the card is fully 100% supported by macOS, but just does not present itself to the EFI

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So you are saying this can’t be solved by just adding some code?

It depends is probably the most accurate answer here. You should also be aware that a solution would mean the card would be able to show a boot screen on a Mac, but not any other computer. It's one or the other. Unless it has two ROM chips and a pin to switch between them.

If a modified ROM for EFI support exists, and the card's ROM chip is large enough to support it, you mean be able to flash that firmware onto the card.
If one exists and the ROM chip on the card isn't large enough to facilitate it, you'll need to swap the ROM chip on hardware.

If one does not exist you'll have to make one yourself.

None of this is to do with macOS. macOS fully supports the GPU. This is a difference between the card's firmware and the Mac Pro's EFI video systems.

Nothing is impossible though.

As it stands, I believe the latest AMD card we have flashed ROMs for, are the 280Xs.

If you're comfortable using a different boot manager, Clover and rEFInd have GOP modes (GOP is the video protocal used by the GPU whereas the Mac Pro uses UGA)

Reactions: Farravi

eighteentee

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
United Kingdom
I'm interested in this too. I have a flashed cMP 4,1 to 5,1 running a stock AMD Radeon R9 280 3gb. I've read so many conflicting stories about using rEFInd and it screwing up the Mac permanently. I'm loathe to start messing trying to flash the AMD card but would like to try the rEFInd method. I can't find any info on the 4,1 or 5,1 using this method, only 3,1 tutorials. Is the rEFInd method workable on a 5,1?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I'm loathe to start messing trying to flash the AMD card but would like to try the rEFInd method. I can't find any info on the 4,1 or 5,1 using this method, only 3,1 tutorials. Is the rEFInd method workable on a 5,1?

It would help if we knew which BRAND of R9 280 which can be flashed with thr AMD HD 7950 ROM.

Do you have a Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI etc. R9 280 ?
( XFX is not recommended as their cards often vary from the reference design )

if you want quick, helpful replies then go to your Macrumors member PROFILE and select " SIGNATURE ".

Type in all the important information about your cMP set up - my SIGNATURE is at the bottom of this post as an example.

============================================================

Your R9 280 CAN definitely be EFI flashed.

It is not that difficult if you first read ALL the posts of this link.

I also felt threatened by what I thought was a very steep learning curve regarding flashing AMD cards for Mac EFI but have since successfully flashed 6 different AMD GPUS.

If you want to try, PM me , I can take you through the process.

Last edited:

norda72

macrumors member
May 27, 2016
Bollnäs, Sweden
I also have Mac Pro 5.1 but getting more and more tired of it. It seems to be out of the game. I have installed Catalina on my secondary SSD and it works, but no displayport and not able to start in R-mode or reset NVRAM. I guess it has to do with the videocard, I have Nvidia Geforce GTX770 4 GB. Reading this I understand that AMD isn’t so much better, it’s the computer which needs to be replaced by something else, Mac or not.

Exit_74

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2020
I also have Mac Pro 5.1 but getting more and more tired of it. It seems to be out of the game. I have installed Catalina on my secondary SSD and it works, but no displayport and not able to start in R-mode or reset NVRAM. I guess it has to do with the videocard, I have Nvidia Geforce GTX770 4 GB. Reading this I understand that AMD isn’t so much better, it’s the computer which needs to be replaced by something else, Mac or not.

Yes a nvidiacard is from what i know no more supported by apple, and no new driverupdates and catalina runs crappy anyway :) (my opinion)
... I bought my AMD RX 580 8 GB card from ebay (efi bootscreen and all) it runs fantastic on mojave and when gaming in windows10 on my macpro performs very good even in triple a games. So maybe take some time to buy a good videocard and give life again for your macpro

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan

No bootscreens but . . my Display port is working.

This Active HDMI to Display port adapter works works with my MSI Armor RX 580 8gb. in Mojave 10.14.6 build 18G5033.

J5Create Active HDMI to DP adapter.png

norda72

macrumors member
May 27, 2016
Bollnäs, Sweden
No bootscreens but . . my Display port is working.

This Active HDMI to Display port adapter works works with my MSI Armor RX 580 8gb. in Mojave 10.14.6 build 18G5033.

View attachment 929065
But does it work in Catalina? There I have my problem. Mojave works anyway.

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
I’ve seen the MacVidCards site but they only sell Nvidia
This might have been true a while ago...
Both Nvidia and AMD cards can be flashed, and are shown on the side of mvc.
In case one likes to have flashed a GPU, i recommend MVC in Poland , the reasons to avoid MVC in LA , can be found easily here at MacRumorsForum.
By now MVC can flash lots of AMD cards including Vega 56/64 RX 5700 etc.
You should also be aware that a solution would mean the card would be able to show a boot screen on a Mac, but not any other computer. It's one or the other.
An EFI flashed GPU will work perfectly in Mac OS and Windows.

a nvidiacard is from what i know no more supported by apple
The only Nvidia cards still supported by Apple are Kepler family e.g. GTX 680 , GTX 770, GTX 780 TI etc.

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
It would help if we knew which BRAND of R9 280 which can be flashed with thr AMD HD 7950 ROM.

Do you have a Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI etc. R9 280 ?
( XFX is not recommended as their cards often vary from the reference design )

if you want quick, helpful replies then go to your Macrumors member PROFILE and select " SIGNATURE ".

Type in all the important information about your cMP set up - my SIGNATURE is at the bottom of this post as an example.

============================================================

Your R9 280 CAN definitely be EFI flashed.

It is not that difficult if you first read ALL the posts of this link.

I also felt threatened by what I thought was a very steep learning curve regarding flashing AMD cards for Mac EFI but have since successfully flashed 6 different AMD GPUS.

If you want to try, PM me , I can take you through the process.
He flashed my (former) MSI Republic of Gamers R9 280X 3G

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.